It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2007, 02:52 PM   #1
(male)

OhioGolfer HB User
5 Wks Post 2 Level ACDF -- 1st Doc Visit

Well, had my first follow up with the Doctor this morning, 5 weeks post ACDF at C4/5 and C5/6, donor bone, Atlantis plate, no collar.

Had flexion/extension Xrays, plus normal AP and Lateral. No problems with plate, screws or bone. Not much evidence of fusion yet, but MD says he wouldn't expect a lot of XRay evidence at this point.

He cleared me for driving, said I could engage in more activities, just no lifting of more than 15 pounds, no extended activity with my arms above my head, no extremes of motion. No golf yet, but I can chip and putt.

I go back May 8th, when he expects to release me to more full activities, including golf. (Do you sense a pattern here? )

Spasms are less now, just muscle aches in shoulders and between shoulder blades. When I can do some real exercises, this should go away. Worst at night when I can't control my head/neck movements as much.

All in all, not too bad, all things considered. There is light at the end of the tunnel, and it is not a freight train.

Jeff

Old 03-15-2007, 05:13 PM   #2
(female)

dac9162 HB User
Re: 5 Wks Post 2 Level ACDF -- 1st Doc Visit

That's great news Jeff; sounds like things are going really well!

So no golf until May 8th? I guess that's not so bad considering we're northerners - looks like we timed our surgeries perfectly!

Best wishes to you and enjoy your chipping & putting.

~Debbie
Gurnee, IL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2007, 09:31 PM   #3
(female)

quilter58 HB User
Re: 5 Wks Post 2 Level ACDF -- 1st Doc Visit

Hey golfer.....good to hear the good news.......I was very curious about your doc saying there is not much evidence of fusion yet......my nuero at my first post op @ 4 weeks said he had an idea of where the fusion was and did not want to subject my thyroid to xrays at that time.....so I am guessing he probably thought there wasn't much fusion at that time also.......I would only assume.........at 8 weeks I am doing fine.....the numbness of my surgical site is going away and now I am starting to feel a little discomfort in the skin on my neck .....kinda stretching feeling , I can only assume it is healing.....looks good, not painful just a funny feeling ........tight feeling......my hip is doing good where they took the bone from........they had to cut through muscle so it is tight but no pain...............

My mom is a former PA- RN....all she keeps telling me is "think of the retractors they had holding open your throat......nice thought huh.....anyway to think of that it is no wonder our skin can feel some discomfort......

Good blessings to you golfer.....hope you are back in the "swing" of things soon........

Closed Thread