It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2007, 09:06 AM   #1
(male)

Ronn9 HB UserRonn9 HB User
I'm BACK! ACDF C5C6C7 didnt WORK!!!

Ok well it had been a year feb9th that i had a plate with 6 screws inserted in my neck. I am goin back in for sx in a month so he can add another plate anterior this time and an additional 2 to 4 more screws depending apon what he finds when he goes in he said c7 didnt heal to the plate and possibly c6 didnt either....
im at such a loss over this , the onlt reason i did it originally was to get rid of the pain in my arms and neck and back, now a year later im still in pain and i have to go thru all this again..........no good...... maybe if they just cut my arms off i wouldnt have to deal with the damn pain in them AAHHH!!!!
loosing it, sorry..... :dizzy

Old 03-18-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

TraveltoSL HB User
Re: I'm BACK! ACDF C5C6C7 didnt WORK!!!

Hi Ron,

I am sooo sorry to hear about the fusion not working....Unfortunately, I wish I could say that it works perfectly the first time For some people it does....like my mom's surgery back in '84...and she's never had to have another....She has pain and stiffness but not enough to warrant having another surgery...With us "neck folks"...it certainly is much harder to heal....

For me....as you have probably seen on my other posts...I just had my 3rd cervical fusion since the first 2 failed....This time, they went in from the front AND the back and put plates on both sides...about 16 screws...rods and then put the donor bone in what is called a PEEK cage....So...for me...the 3rd time was the charm and even though I will probably have pain the rest of my life....I am on a lot less medication and am at a 4-5 on the pain scale which is fantastic!!!!

The first time around...it took about a year and half for the pain and symptoms to come back....Then, the surgery in Dec. 2005...I had pain pretty much immediately after and then kept getting worse and then found my most WONDERFUL and skilled surgeon in Jan. 2006 and after trying to many things for the year besides surgery to help....I ended up having it in Nov. last year....Just went for my 4 month check up and it looks good....

There was really no explanation why I didn't fuse those times...I am not, nor ever have been a smoker which can cause a fusion to fail....The first time...the bone (my own hip bone) just disappeared and the vertebrae collapsed back on eachother....This other time, the Dr. did such a terrible job...it barely fused at all...

I am truly sorry that you are having to go through this and just wanted to share that unfortunately...it's not uncommon and didn't want you to worry and think that it may never get fixed....It definitely stinks! And I was like you.....VERY upset and it's good to vent and get all the frustration out.....and it's so hard sometimes to think..."Ok, God.....really???? You really want me to do this again????? You think that I can take it????".....

I will be praying for you....If at all possible....I would get a second opinion from another Neurosurgoen to see if the first one did a good job and this is just an anomoly...

Blessings,
Ingrid

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2007, 12:43 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

so sorry ronzorz that you didn't fuse. I did 2 sx C4-6 then C6-7 added 2nd time. I fused, but still have lingering pain and new problems. The good news is that it is better than it used to be, but now 1 year out from surgery #2, having only pain around 4-5 that peaks at 7-8 sometimes, is better than before. I can hold off on 3rd surgery because I fused, but it is out there in my future.

I know you must not be looking forward to this surgery, but hopefully this will do the trick and give you more relief. The advice I give is that it may take many months to get where you want, be patient, and go very slowly and gradually add activity this time. Will you wear a collar?

Old 03-18-2007, 02:45 PM   #4
(male)

bw67 HB User

Ron -

Are you using the same doctor this time??? I would be hesitant to do so if the first fusion didn't work...

I really hate to hear that you or anyone is having to go back in for more surgery...

Stories like yours and others are a big reason why I chose a minimally invasive option over fusion for my herniations at C5/6 and C6/7.

I have no idea, but would a minimally invasive procedure be an option for you at all?? I'm not sure what they can do if you've already had fusion done.

I hope you're able to find relief, no matter which route you take.

BW

Last edited by Administrator; 02-22-2011 at 12:07 PM.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:52 PM   #5
(female)

~Ro HB User

You all are scaring me about surgeries that don't work. Did you wear a collar after your surgery, Ron?

~Ro

Old 09-17-2007, 06:30 AM   #6
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Ro View Post
You all are scaring me about surgeries that don't work. Did you wear a collar after your surgery, Ron?

~Ro
YES for ytwo weeks like the Doc told me too, then I did everything he said when I got it off, Now I am almmost 4 weeks post op # 2 . More pain then ever and in different spots , this time its left shoulder down to elbow then down forarm into pinky and ring finger. I have Technically two but its realy three plates in my neck, I refuse to let them open me up again.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:48 AM   #7
(female)

Tulip15 HB User

Don't give up, I had success with both my fusions C5-6 C6-7, maybe you should get a second opinion and a different surgeon, may I ask did you have a neuro-surgeon or an orthopedic surgeon? Please think this over carefully before going under the knife again.
Tulip15

Old 09-18-2007, 05:52 AM   #8
(male)

ortho... not good?

Closed Thread