It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2007, 11:57 AM   #1
(female)

mepa49 HB User
Had A Epi/ Some Questions/ Some Info

I have 3 levels of herniation in my cervical spine. In the Philippines I was told immediate surgery was needed. My husband and I proceeded to San Francisco immediately. I saw my doctor in sanfran and he gave me 4 options...1. immediate fusion surgery of 3 levels...2. immediate surgery of 2 levels with chance of more surgery in the future...3&4. have a caudal epidural steroid injection which will buy me time as artificial cervical discs will be approved later this year, then he will do a fusion combined with the artificial discs. I chose options 3&4. BTW, my problem is caused by arthritis in my cervical spine, the rest of my spine is very healthy. (There is always Good News, no matter how bad things may be is my philosophy!)

So I had the epi last Friday. It went well, the doctor was able to "flood four levels". Questions...Is it normal to gain weight after? I've gained 5lbs in 3 days!! I had steroid injections in both knees about 6 weeks ago, so wonder if I may have alot of steroids floating around my system. My whole body hurts, but that could be a fibromyalgia flare up because of the "trauma" of the epi.

As for the artificial discs, I asked the doctor about the chance of them becoming unscrewed and causing more damage. He told me that was a problem they were having in the lumbar and thoratic spine. The biggest problem in the cervical spine was producing discs small enough for that area and so far the test results of using artificial discs in cervical have been very good. I know they have been using artificial discs in Europe for quite a while.

I would like to know of how others have responded to epi injections and the side affects they may have had.
Thank you and keep smiling!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2007, 06:58 PM   #2
(female)

poopoopadoop HB User
Re: Had A Epi/ Some Questions/ Some Info

I just wanted to say hi - I have spinal stenosis, herniated disk and osteophyte - all C4-7. I have 2 surgical consults coming up at major medical centers. I will see what they say about artificial disks and will post.

I am a nervous wreck about the idea of surgery, esp. since I have 2 little children.

Lisa

Old 03-20-2007, 07:15 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

They do use steroids in the epidural injections so yes - you may find you gain weight.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:47 PM   #4
(female)

mepa49 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoopadoop View Post
I just wanted to say hi - I have spinal stenosis, herniated disk and osteophyte - all C4-7. I have 2 surgical consults coming up at major medical centers. I will see what they say about artificial disks and will post.

I am a nervous wreck about the idea of surgery, esp. since I have 2 little children.

Lisa
My doctor in San Francisco told me the discs for cervical spine will be approved by the end of this year and test so far show good results. It is normal to be nervous, I sympathyze and understand...I was a wreck for days before I had the epi injection, a 20 minute out patient procedure! You have to trust and have faith in your doctor, if you don't then change doctors. Your doctor must be willing to answer all your questions no matter how silly the question may seem. Good luck!

Old 03-20-2007, 07:49 PM   #5
(female)

mepa49 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kross426 View Post
They do use steroids in the epidural injections so yes - you may find you gain weight.
Ok, Please tell me this is temporary! The 5 pounds will go away? Soon? I hope! I've been drinking tons of water today trying to flush my system! Thanks!

Closed Thread