It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2007, 10:28 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User
Need advice please. Cervical spine problems..

I've been reading a lot on this page and I seem to be in the same boat as many of you. I just came back from Neurologist with my MRI result, I really don't understand most of the results even though he tried to explain them. I have bad neck pain with headaches and a few months ago developed a lump in the throat feeling and breathing issues which I was told was due to reflux but this may explain some of it although my Dr said he does not think it is related.
ANyway, my results came back as disc desiccation from C2-3 through C6-C7. C2-2 disc protrusion which narrows the ventral CSF space. C3-4 Protruding disc large osteophyte causes indentation on ventral aspect of cord. Mild Neural foraminal stenosis.
C4-5 flattening of the ventral aspect of cord.
C6-7 Circumferential disc osteophyte which completely effaces ventral and dorsal CSF space.
Severe canal stenosis at C5-6 is identified with flattening and effacement of both dorsal and ventral CSF spaces. Multi level neural foraminal stenosis.

I am sorry this is so long...
PLEASE can anyone help me understand this, it's like another language to me. My neuro wants me to see a neurosurgeon..I am so scared I don't want surgery

Thanks
Alex

Last edited by alex12; 03-21-2007 at 10:29 AM.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:42 AM   #2
(female)

poopoopadoop HB User
Re: Need advice please. Cervical spine problems..

Hi,
I am sorry you are here. Your diagnosis is similar to mine - see my post MRI results. I have severe stenosis c4-7 with osteophyte, cord compression, herniated disc, etc.

I just posted about wanting surgery.

What are your symptoms at this point? What are your next steps?

Take care,
lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2007, 12:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

As of right now I have an appointment with a Neuro surgeon in NY to see what he thinks.
My main symptom is neck pain, headaches and I have a contant lump in throat feeling which I believe associated to this althoough my Dr. doubts it.

What about you?

Old 03-21-2007, 07:49 PM   #4
(female)

erica1976 HB User

Hi Alex....I'm sorry that you are going through...If it makes you feel any better, I completely relate to what you are talking about!

I've had a herniated C5 C6 for many years, but due to an injury where i felt my spine being pulled/stretched out, i have now been diagnosed with c5c6 spinal cord compression. My MRI says the disc "impresses the left aspect of the thecal sac and flattens the cord to the left of midline. Also mentions possibility of calcific density (not sure what that means). Severe c6 nerve impingement was noted. EMG showed some nerve damage as well.

Since the night of the injury, i noticed the sensation of a tennis ball stuck in my throat which at times caused swallowing issues and discomfort with eating. This really only lasted two weeks or so and has actually gotten much better since the injury, although i sometimes notice it, especially when i move my head too much. I too have had breathing issues with this!

My neurologist and other neurosurgeons have said its unrelated but i am completely unconvinced...It seems like other people on these boards with similar injuries have had the same complaints so you are not alone...even a PT i spoke with said neck injuries can cause swallowing issues..

I actually just posted something about swallowing issues a few days ago..

By the way, what surgeon are you going to see? Who is your neurologist? I live in Long Island so was curious...

Old 03-22-2007, 05:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Erics...I think its to coincidental that we all have these symptoms. I am going to see Dr Perin he is Director of the Spinal Institute at Saint Lukes in Manhatten and he came highly recommended by my Neurologist who is in NJ. I have an appointment on the 9th of April. Who are you seeing? Do you plan on surgery? I am terrified of it!

It's strange, when I move my head I hear all this crackling noise , it sounds so loud to me but noone else hears it, do you have htat as well?
This is all so scary to me!

Old 03-22-2007, 03:44 PM   #6
(female)

erica1976 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex12 View Post
Erics...I think its to coincidental that we all have these symptoms. I am going to see Dr Perin he is Director of the Spinal Institute at Saint Lukes in Manhatten and he came highly recommended by my Neurologist who is in NJ. I have an appointment on the 9th of April. Who are you seeing? Do you plan on surgery? I am terrified of it!

It's strange, when I move my head I hear all this crackling noise , it sounds so loud to me but noone else hears it, do you have htat as well?
This is all so scary to me!
HI...Yes, it's definitely more than a coincidence...there are times now when i strain my neck and I instantly feel more of a lump in my throat when i swallow..

I saw a few surgeons on LI. I also had an appointment with NYC doctors but canceled after my neurologist convinced me to not rush into surgery. I have to admit too, i really don't want to do it either! The more i deal with this though, the more i realize how much i need it....My neurologist makes it out like it's more elective but everyone else says that if the spinal cord is compressed, surgery usually is the standard...of course every body is different...

The NYC doctors that were recommended to me are Dr. Camissa or Dr. Sandhu (Hosp for Special Surgery), Dr. Bitan (Lenox Hill), Dr. O'Leary, Dr. Neuwirth at Beth Israel (i think i heard he had hand surgery though??)

They are all orthopedic spine surgeons...The only NYC neurosurgeon i heard about was Dr. Benjamin at NYU...I am sure yours is great too, I looked up the one you are seeing and he is on the list of top doctors ...maybe i can add him to my list of people to visit for an opinion...

Once in awhile i hear cracking but not too frequently..a lot of other people on this board have complained of it..By the way, after hearing the cracking, do you get a headache?

Last edited by moderator2; 03-22-2007 at 04:18 PM.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:15 PM   #7
(female)

poopoopadoop HB User

Hi,
I am jumping in here. I have consults scheduled with Dr. Neuwirth at Beth Israel (orthoped) and Dr. McCormick at Columbia/NYPH (neurosurg.). My symptoms are mainly in my L hand and foot. In my hand, tingling, numbness, clumsiness, contracted feeling, some aching down my arm and in my shoulders/back.

I am really curious as to who the BEST NY drs are.

Lisa

Old 03-22-2007, 06:17 PM   #8
(female)

poopoopadoop HB User

PS - I also notice a cracking sound in my neck, espcially when I straighten my spine.

It is scary.

Old 03-23-2007, 06:15 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

julyg HB Userjulyg HB User

My Docs have told me the cracking and creekink sounds all are a result of are arthritic symptoms. But I have always been able to "crack a joint" fingers toes ankles etc since small child.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:56 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

July g , yes I was told it's due to arthritic symmptoms as well, and I have always been a cracker.

Pooopadoo.... and erica
I will let you know how the consult goes.... Dr Perin is said to be one of the best neurosurgeons in the NY area, even my ENT told me..... I heard he does more less invasive syrgeries, although I hear with our problem it may not be available. I just wish the appointment was sooner

I get the crackling sensation whenever i turn my head, it sounds like rice krispies popping...I hate it.
And also the lump in my throat is much worse when my neck is in more pain. Totally related I think.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:10 PM   #11
(female)

barmc5 HB User

Hi

Sorry to hear about your problems = if you look at my post you will see I have had two C56/C6/7 fusions with bone graft from my hip and although I am yet again having pain in my arm and heel I would say it was one of the best operations I had with pain relief happening soon after the op.

I'm so pleased that at last I have found others who have this lump in there throat feeling as I thought it was just me and that I was going mad - there are far too many of us for it to just be a coincidence so I'd mention it to your Neuro when you see him - they are the best surgeons to see for neck surgery.

Try not to worry it will all work out in the end. Good luck and keep us informed of how you go on.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:00 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Barmc5,
I am so also so happy to hear that you got such quick relief after surgery.
Do you still find that you have the lump in the throat feeling now?
My neck is killing me today and I just wish I had a neck brace, as I feel I have a 100 pound bowling ball sitting on my neck (that would be my head). Ugh!

Old 03-25-2007, 03:37 PM   #13
(female)

mnmjdnyc HB User
Unhappy Re: Need advice please. Cervical spine problems..

I had c5 c6 fusion done on January 31, 2007; the sad thing is I don't feel any relief. I might have to go for onther surgery

I am not trying scrace anyone out of surgery just tring to inform you that you might not feel any better afterwards. However, there are many who feel 100% better which is what I wish for all of you.

I am just tired of taking meds and not being able to hold my kids. Wish the pain n my arm will go away and the feeling will come back to my thumb and wrist. Is there anyone else who have experiance the same.

Closed Thread