It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User
Question JULYG Have a question please?

Did you find after your surgery your air hunger issues and lump in the throat feeling went away? I have had m vocal cords checked and do have a little disfunction and a little acid damage but after 6 months of therapy doing breathing exercises and taking Aciphex i'm still without relief , so now we are looking into different reasons. MRI states I have large osteophytes and cord compression as well as stenosis on the inside part of neck. So I think this may be causing my breathing issue , not sure though.

Old 03-22-2007, 02:54 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

julyg HB Userjulyg HB User
Re: JULYG Have a question please?

Hi Alex

I only had air hunger after surgery. Surgery caused paralysis of vocal cord.
My immediate symptoms post surgery: air hunger, lump in throat, high breathy voice and swallowing issues. I complained I had a cough of an aged man, really all of these symptons were immediately following surery and scared the heck out of me.

All are typical syptoms of vocal cord damage. UNFORTUNATLY i NOW KNOW TOO MUCH ABOUT THIS! ;(

With speech therapy and a temporary vocal cord augmentation surgery I have over come most of these issues. Vocal cord augmentation wearing off...going for another very soon.

Good luck to you. Did you decide to go for ACDF surgery?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2007, 05:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

WOW! I'm so sorry that happend to you! Now that changes everything! These are complaints I have now. Why did that happen to you? Did they damage something during surgery. I am in speach therapy also for my vocal cords, although I am sure they are not as bad as yours since mine are not paralyzed.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:57 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Yes it was a result of ACDF surgery. I never had a voice issue and this was immediately noticable upon awaking in recovery room. They got too close to my layrengeal nerve which controls vocal cords and mine is hopefully paralized temporarily... they can heal up to 1 yr out. In meantime I am praying every day and doing speech therapy exercises 3x daily without fail. You see I work full time and use my voice professionally.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:03 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

You said breathing exercise did you go to Speech therapy ...I have 10 pages of exercise... breath support, vocal cord adduction, glottal fry, massage,
tongue exercise

Takes me solid 1/2 hr 3x per day to do them. Majhor pain in the butt I cannot lose my voice, and i refuse to.

july

Old 03-23-2007, 09:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

WOW, that is a lot, but it's worth it. Where do you live? Are you in the NY area?
My speach therapist is at NYU, wasn't too crazy about her.
Not that informative.

Old 04-02-2007, 07:04 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Nope I am in Fl. But I had a great speech therapist and I also emailed some of the major universities and one speech therapist from a most respected school called me and gave me additional exercises! The kindness of strangers is astounding!

Closed Thread