It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2007, 11:08 PM   #1
(male)

Anchortown HB User
post surgery food and comfort advice?

Hi Everyone

wife of Anchortown here... he is 4 days post ACDF c5/6, 6/7. Surgery went well and he is recovering "normally" right now. A couple questions to ask those of you who have "been there, done that"

1. Any food ideas? He's pretty picky and solids are just very hard for him to swallow, even chunky soup. We've done shakes, smoothies, pudding, jello, applesauce but he just feels starving. Could it also be a side effect of the Percoset? Also, is there a difference in wearing the Miami J vs. soft collar while eating?

2. Finding a comfortable place is a continual effort. He's in a recliner now but everytime he gets up and sits back down in it he's adjusting with pillows, towels, etc and just isn't finding the "right spot"... is there one this soon or is the discomfort just par for the course?

That's about it for now, thanks!

Old 03-23-2007, 07:01 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

julyg HB Userjulyg HB User
Re: post surgery food and comfort advice?

Mashed potatos! Mac and cheese.
Applesauce to get meds down. It gives the pill "grab" and you can swallow it.

The sitting and finding right spot is tough. I am tall and got myself a high back recliner. When I ate or sat in chair had pillows stacked on my lap. It stops arms from pulling on neck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2007, 07:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User

Scrambled eggs.

Buy some Yoplait Go-gurts (the kid's stuff) and put it in the freezer overnight. It is fantastic and feels good going down.

wb

Old 03-23-2007, 12:45 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

Loosen the miami J a little bit when eating it will prevent jaw pain and make him a little more comfortable. THe collar will also become more comfortable after a couple weeks go by when the swelling starts to subside. You may not see external swelling but there is internal swelling as well.

Getting a comfortable sitting/sleeping position takes a couple weeks. Every day it improves and by about week three you start being able to get more comfortable. I lived in a recliner until the collar came off at 12 weeks for me, I used lots of different pillows in combination.

The foods that worked best for me were "wet". ANything dry like bread or dry meats would stick. If he is really hungry mac and cheese as suggested is filling, also try spagetti with a good portion of sauce. Pastas can be very filling and slide down well with sauces on it.

Good luck sounds ilke he is doing well and par for the course.

Closed Thread