It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2007, 06:53 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

julyg HB Userjulyg HB User
MUST READ: stupid therapies I did

last week someone asked me "what did you do to allieve your pain and also to avoid surgery?" I said pretty much what we all do pre-surgery... physical therapy, anti-inflammitoy drugs, trigger point injections, exercise, 2 rounds of epidurals, accupunture and chiro. Heat and cold wraps and purchased and made untold amount of pillows.

Below is some of the really classic stupid money/time wasting therapies I did and I really suggest if you want to do these, proceed with caution!

Ok so here is the stupid stuff I did...

Alright, I love massages, so I got a deep tissue one for neck and traps and believe me went I left the therapist I thought she was heaven on earth. That night and for next week I was in unbearable agony. The unbearable pain as a result of this sent me to pain management Doctor. That dr. suggested light "flushing" massage in future.

DRX 9000 Cervical TRACTION MACHINE sessions cost a fortune($4000)! After 22 sessions MRi taken before and immediately after showed further disc dehydraTION AND NO IMPROVEMENT. (and this center tried to hardball sell me $165 monthly vitamin supplements) This Chiro center is now out of business.
If you call the makers of drx9000 you won't get any support info but you will find on their website they offer chiropracters who purchase this machine substantial co-op ad money to pay for newspaper ad campaigns. Thats why you always see the ads.)

Sacral Cranial massage therapy..Ok my fault, should have read up on this before booking appointment with "experts" who founded this. Imagine spending $150 to have someone massage the roof of your mouth!
(This one really took the cake, boy did i walk out of that "medical center" feeling like a fool.)

Cupping. I now call it VOODOO cupping. Ok in my defense this is was early on in my ***** for pain relief.
The "therapist" lights candles in cups puts them upside down on your muscles and the suction created is supposed to wisk away pain and leave system detoxed. So stupid! All it does is leaves cup size hickys on neck and traps! My husband couldn't help but laugh.

Purchased inversion table going back to the traction theory. Didn't help! bought it a Costco for $200 sold it on craigs list for $80.

If you have any other therapies that didn't work, please reply and save us all some money and time and further injury and perhaps give us a smile!

JULY

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2007, 07:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User
Re: MUST READ: stupid therapies I did

Is that chiropractic machine one of those decompression things that we all see advertised? My surgeon said it was a joke, if it is the same thing.

I have tried everything you tried, including cupping! hehe.
I even tried BOTOX injections, for my upper body and neck spasms, which DIDNT work.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:38 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Yes, that is the decompression machine you see everwhere on tv and ads for lower back pain? sciatica ? neck pain? new Nasa technology blah blah blah.

As you know desperate people will try all.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User

I'm cracking up, you beat me only by a bit. Although I didn't realize the massage was bad,I have a machine that I use and press it into my neck (even though it advises not to.
I did the traction (I thought it was good but probably made it worse), the Chiro whcih definitely made it worse. I did Reiki, but it didnt help, I tried acupuncture and it did nothing (I was really hoping for results on that one since a lot of people say it does work).
OK here is my # Kicker!!!!!!!
I went to a healling mass where people were passing out left and right when the priest would touch them, well he got to me and nothing! Not even a flinch I had...I was like, "am I the Devil that this didn't work!!!!!???"
They said sometimes it takes time, well 5 months later and still the same...
although I am still praying that maybe it will kick in one day!

Last edited by alex12; 03-23-2007 at 12:19 PM.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Here's one for ya: R O L F I N G ! It helped, but not long term.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:47 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Talk about laughing! I went to a healing mass about 15 yrs ago so I know what you mean.

Oh and I did the silly reiki thing too!

Old 03-23-2007, 01:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

here's one for ya: R O L F I N G

Old 03-23-2007, 02:19 PM   #8
(female)

barmc5 HB User

Hi

I have had similar problems even after trigger point injections - i woke up in the night with the really bad feeling of a lump in my throat and the pain was horrid - frightened me to death.

Cranial therapy is another which did nothing for me except make me feel very sick !!

Aromatherapy massages can be brilliant with the right therapist otherwise they can be very painful.

Hope that helps

Old 03-23-2007, 06:43 PM   #9
(female)

moonchaser HB User

I'm "young" in the game, as I haven't made it to the point of needing surgery yet. But in just shy of a year's time I've ponied up thus far for 45+ physical therapy co-payments, therapeutic massage, two cervical neck pillows, a travel cervical neck pillow, a lumbar roll, a king size traditional heating pad, a heated mattress pad for the bed, three moist heat pads like they use in the hydrocollators at PT, enough of those temporary store stick on heat packs that you should all buy their stock and.... a partridge in a pear tree. :-) Just kidding on that last one.

Seriously though, the BEST thing I've got so far has been free: a TENS unit my PT gave me. For some reason, the medical equipment company has yet to bill me for it. When that bill does come, it will totally be worth it. I don't care what they will charge me for it. I love that little thing.

Last edited by moonchaser; 03-23-2007 at 07:14 PM.

Old 03-23-2007, 07:07 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User

This thread is great...I'm cracking up , at least I don't feel like such a sucker anymore! haha
ROLFING... i've heard of it but the name in itself bothers me! haha

Old 03-23-2007, 07:29 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

OOPS I forgot the tens unit yes I have one too and I am glad it works for someone but it does not do much for me. if you read the directions AFTER THE PURCHASE it says not for mucle spasms!!!!!! Well if I weren't haven't muscle spasms I wouldn't have needed it! Another $100 down the drain.

There have got tobe a ton more stories out there

Old 03-23-2007, 07:43 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

I have a TENS unit, too!!!! I seriously have tried everying, including ACDF in Jan!!!
Yea the name ROLFING sounds like someone drank too much beer and got nauseous!
You guys make me feel less alone with these posts~

Old 04-04-2007, 02:24 PM   #13
(male)

jaspebbles HB User

Hi all

this is seriously entertaining

I have been looking for somewhere to confess my foolishness in treating my neck pain/ stiffness, muscle spasms and headaches.

I have a collection of braces hanging in a wardrobe that looks like something you would see at a bondage parlour. i have various neck cervical collars, cross shoulder braces, thermoskins ( the neck one has helped, just can't go outside in it!). aslo have a great collection of hot/cold packs.

i had one physio who tried to sell me the wonder juice " **********" should be called snake oil. another stuck acupuncture needles in my neck/ shoulders and attached electrodes to them. traction - great whilst on it, then when finished the weight of my head just compresses everything down again.

don't get me started on "miracle" creams etc. sea minerals a naturapath tried to sell me, glucosamine tablets,fish oil tablets. heat patches - might work if they would stay on my neck and not fall off everyhwere ( also- why are these always bloody white, talk about not being obvious!), chinese herbal patches - these work because they smell so bad you're distracted to the point of passing out.

massage with ocean sounds playing in backround. felt good until I got outside clinic near main rd and copped the traffic noise.

subliminal tapes to help me relax- won't even tell family about this one!

sleeping without a pillow - no one warned me I would have sore ribs on this one where my wife kept prodding me when I snored.

a threpaist did manipulation on my neck and said it is now adjusted but would need to keep coming back. what! pay $50 to have some idiot do what I do ten times a day already and was wanting to stop. yep! he cracked my neck didn't he. nearly tipped me over to insanity that one, was so angry with myself for being so stupid.

I feel much better now, this was probably the best thing I've ever done (lol) and it didn't cost me a thing.

cheers from down under

Steve

Old 04-04-2007, 02:52 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Steve,
You sound like me. I tried it all, too. That post was a R I O T!

Old 04-04-2007, 07:04 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Dear Steve

You really, really made me laugh!
I have a freezer in my office at work and one my new co-workers said "if only I had an ice pack, my back is killing me!"

I said "grab one of mine from the freezer." You wouldn't belive the look on his face when he saw the display of sizes of ice packs in the freezer...and thats just the work collection!

Come on people! There must be more stories!

July

Closed Thread