It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2007, 06:23 PM   #1
(female)

poopoopadoop HB User
Wink Anyone have recent surgery?

If so, when and what did you have? How are you feeling?

I wish all of you the best,
Lisa

Old 03-23-2007, 08:07 PM   #2
(female)

Payton02 HB User
Re: Anyone have recent surgery?

I had ACDF of C6/7 with donor bone and plate three weeks ago. I was diagnosed with a severe rupture of C6/7 and herniation and bone spur of C5/6 in mid-January. I was in pretty bad pain at that time, but the pain subsequently subsided. I was experiencing extreme weakness of the left tricep, pressure in the left shoulder and elbow, and extreme numbness of the forefinger and middle finger of the left hand. I subsequently went through PT and epidural steroid injection, but nothing worked.

I was in the hospital overnight following surgery. Initially, the worst thing I had was pain in swallowing. This lasted for approximately 1.5 weeks. It helped to take pain meds as prescribed, but those were difficult to swallow. I had to wear a soft collar at all times except in the shower and while sleeping for three weeks. Just quit wearing that yesterday.

I have not done much of anything except recuperate. I walk a little bit everday on the treadmill just to ensure that I don't sit in the recliner 24/7. I don't break a sweat or anything, just walk real slow for about 30 minutes.

My husband does all of the housework, laundry, etc. I do a little bit of cooking. I'm 47 years old, so my kids are grown. The days get quite long as there isn't alot to do, so I find it very depressing. I'm looking forward to going back to work, but will probably wait until my post-op the first week of April. I've been told not to rush it.

I understand from your posts that you have a little one. I feel for you there as that would be difficult. I have a 2 year old granddaughter that comes to visit, and she is very good about things, but that is a whole different thing than having to care for her every day. You will need some help with that due to the limits on what you will be able to lift.

All in all, I'm doing pretty well. Totally off of the pain meds and muscle relaxers. The worst time of day is morning for me. Feels like someone beat the crap out of me when I wake up, but that gets better after moving around for awhile. I also notice that I don't have alot of energy. I actually went out to Target today for about an hour. Just getting ready felt like a chore. Each day gets better. You just have to take really good care of yourself, don't push it.

I would be glad to answer any specific questions you might have. I too was very scared prior to surgery but felt it was the best option for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
(female)

mnmjdnyc HB User

I had c5-c6 fusion on 1/31/07 and don't feel any relief my left arm still hurts and my doctors said I might have to go for onther surgery. In my case my body might be rejecting my donor disk.

I to have to kids one 6 the other just turned 3 and that is the hardest part about this whole thing.

Please I will to answer questions about my experiance
Margie

Old 03-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

Hi
I had C-5 to C-7 Fussion. Disks were replaced and filled with my bone and had a titaniam plate with screws put in. They cut you from the front of your neck. I was in as an overnighter. Whent home the next day. I had this done on 11/29/07. Still recooping. I just got the ok for Physical Theropy 2 weeks ago.

The pain in my arm is gone but it is week. My neck still realy hurts and also still getting muscle spasams, but I took an unfortunate fall 1 week ago today so that aggrivated it all and I think that maybe the reason why I am suffering like this right now.

After surgery I too had to were a neck brace for 6 weeks. I didnt need it when sleeping or taking a shower.

After surgery you will have a problem with swollowing. But that is normal and will get better. I was hoping I would loose weight because of that but no such luck LOL.

I went for my PT Eval 2 weeks ago and still very weak in my left arm. Still have pain in the same areas when they were testing it and it hurt. I also had some massage theropy that hurt too. I dont want to scare you. with that but I am sure that is normal because now I have to get everything working correctly. I guess it takes time.

I was told that I will never be 100% again as for my neck movement. It is difficult to move my head from side to side i.e trying to move my head towards my shoulder. Actualy all movent can be a problem at times now but I guess I have to work on that.
I was very scared before surgery too. Didnt know what to expect or what could happen, but I will say it was the best choice. The alternitive was I would go paralized.

Listen, if you have any questiuons, just ask !!
I am here for yah!!

Old 03-26-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

I had a C5-C7 fusion on Jan. 10th. I think the thing that helped me the most was making sure I walked everyday after the surgery. I had the luxury of owning a treadmill, though. It really did help me regain my stamina pretty quickly. I am 51, so that's not always easy. I started going to phys.therapy when I was 6 weeks post-op and I know that has really helped me get my range of motion back.The head to shoulder range of motion isnt real great, but then again when does a person need that motion, anyway? My looking side to side is great now. But initially it was tricky driving, because you have to look back when you back up or change lanes. I started getting that range back around when I started Phys. Therapy. The thing about the Phys. Therapy is you have to commit to doing the exercises everyday, which does take up alot of time. I do about 45 mins. of the stuff everyday. I always make sure that my neck is warmed up before I do the exercises. (hot packs or shower). That helps alot.
After the surgery I had a big ole lump in my throat and was really worried that I was stuck with it forever. It actually went away at around 8 weeks. I was told that is was swelling.
I am still having muscle spasms in my upper body, but then again I had those for 5 yrs. before the surgery. I have recently come to realize that most of those are from me falling hard on the ice 6 years ago and now I am lopsided, hence I am putting alot of pressure on my left side with my screwed up posture. So I am seeing an osteopath for this. She seems to think she can help me.
Hope this helps in some way. I am definitely better since having the surgery. I think much of my pain was from the bone spurs and afacet joint arthritis

Old 03-26-2007, 05:31 PM   #6
(male)

icejohnb HB User

Hello,
What is recent? I had my bilevel 10-16-06. Neuro removed the discs, and a bunch of spurs etc.
My stay in the hospital was far tooo short. Only 3 nights. I had donor bone , no metal,and an Aspen collar. 8 weeks with the collar 5# limit on lifting. The physical therapist wanted me to reach above my head as much as I could every day.
I was feeling stronger and better each day. Then...
The Neuro, thinks maybe I trapped my head in my down pillows one night. They held my head while my body turned. That was 6 weeks ago!
I have had to wear the Aspen for 2 additional weeks, more Tramadol.
I have since gotten back to the point I was at before the painful night in bed. I have also had a month of electric stimulation, ultra-sound, and massage.
I am back to walking 3-4 miles a day 5 times a week. I think that has helped a great deal. I am not exhausted the next day, like I was after surgery walking a mile.
ROM with my neck is better now then , well I can't remember.
Hope this is what you were looking for?
Later,
Ice

Old 07-03-2007, 08:50 AM   #7
(female)

abbe HB User

Hi,
Just had C1-C2 fusion with 4 screws, plate, and bone graft--6/5/07--sue to a fall. I am anxious about what to expect regarding when I can drive, and just be able to move my neck, adn be more normal. I am lucky I didn't have any neurological problems.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:52 AM   #8
(female)

abbe HB User

Hi,
Just had C1-C2 fusion with 4 screws, plate, and bone graft--6/5/07--due to a fall. I am anxious about what to expect regarding when I can drive, and just be able to move my neck, and be more normal again. I am lucky I didn't have any neurological problems.

Closed Thread