It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2007, 06:05 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User
Muscle relaxers, did they help you?

My Neuro gave me a muscle relaxer to try its called Skelaxin. I took a half a pill and it did nothing, I was hoping it would help my neck and my throat symptoms...he said to try a whole pill. I hate to take it unless I know if it's going to work. I alrady take so much other medication.
ANyone get relief with these types of meds?

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2007, 01:54 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User
Re: Muscle relaxers, did they help you?

If you are having muscle spasms in your neck and shoulders it will probably help if you take a full dose. You might need to take a few doses, before you get good benefit. THe muscle relaxers were of benefit to me for the spasms. Especially when taken at night before bed. Not sure what your throat symptoms are, but if it is dysphagia spasms, it might help those as well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2007, 05:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank You
Yes I have a feeling of something in my throat, sometimes swallowing is difficult.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

I have tried 2 muscle relaxers that didnt help me one bit (Flexeril and Zanaflex). They both completely spaced me out. My new osteopath prescribed me Norflex a couple of weeks ago, because she said it is less sedating. It actually is helping to take the edge off the spasms and doesnt space me out at all.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:45 PM   #5
(male)

icejohnb HB User

Hellaxin,
That's what they ought to call it! If I would have taken one of these during my younger, wilder days. I would have saved a lot of money! Its the only drug I've ever taken that made me feel worse! I got them from the Pain management PA. they were samples. They didn't want me taking anymore Hydrocodone.
Luckily, I went for the Rotator cuff sugery a week later and got a script from the surgeon. Yes, the Pain Doc knew about it!
Between the Hydro, and the Tramadol. My muscle problems have been few. Spasms now and again. Hot shower, a quick lay down, ice, and take it slow for the next few hours.
Ice

Old 03-26-2007, 06:45 PM   #6
(male)

icejohnb HB User

Hellaxin,
That's what they ought to call it! If I would have taken one of these during my younger, wilder days. I would have saved a lot of money! Its the only drug I've ever taken that made me feel worse! I got them from the Pain management PA. they were samples. They didn't want me taking anymore Hydrocodone.
Luckily, I went for the Rotator cuff sugery a week later and got a script from the surgeon. Yes, the Pain Doc knew about it!
Between the Hydro, and the Tramadol. My muscle problems have been few. Spasms now and again. Hot shower, a quick lay down, ice, and take it slow for the next few hours.
Ice

Old 03-26-2007, 09:12 PM   #7
(male)

MKA290 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by icejohnb View Post
Hellaxin,
Ice

Old 03-26-2007, 09:13 PM   #8
(male)

MKA290 HB User

My neurosurgeon prescribed skelaxin. It did absolutely nothing to help me. It was definitely the most ineffective drug I have taken and I have taken all of them. Dont waste your time with it.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:10 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the input everyone..... I just want an easy magic cure to make this go away! Don't we all!

Closed Thread