It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2007, 07:00 PM   #1
(male)

Anchortown HB User
sore throat?

Hi There... wife of Anchortown again... he's off the percoset, doesn't like how it makes him feel.. Taking acetominofin instead. Generally he's feeling achey and not so good, REALLY sore throat and very hard to swallow. He's not feeling pain like he was immediately post surgery so that's a good thing right? Discomfort is still a big issue and he's having a hard time regulating his temperature very well. I think we were hoping that, although it is only 5 days post surgery, he would be feeling better.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:44 PM   #2
(female)

dac9162 HB User
Re: sore throat?

Hello Mrs. Anchortown, it sure seems that the recovery process has been different in some way for everyone, so his experience may be different than mine - but this has been my experience with swallowing, for what its worth:

I had 3 level ACDF c4-c7, with plates and donor bone on Feb 7th, just about 6 1/2 weeks ago. In the hospital, the nurse would crush my pills (using this really cool combination pill cutter & crusher tool) and put them in blueberry yogurt, which really helped get them down. Once home, we continued the same practice for a few weeks (I also found the blueberry to work best, maybe because the stronger flavor masked the bad taste of the crushed pills).

Eventually we moved on from crushing the pills to just cutting them (in eighths at first, then quarters). As I got better, I noticed that if I ate something prior to taking the pills, they wouldn't get caught in my throat as often - as if the food helped to open my throat. Now I can get most pills down in whole, but there is one I have to take twice a day that I still need to cut up in quarters (I can swallow 2 quarters at one time, but can't do the full half pill yet, as goofy as that sounds).

For me, the sore throat feeling went away several weeks before the swallowing difficulties subsided. When I first started eating real food, it seemed no matter what it was or how small the bite, I would have to "double swallow" it. Even now, a piece of food will occasionally get stuck, but that is annoying rather than painful in any way.

Best wishes for anchortown's speedy recovery. You're wonderful for taking care of him. I don't know what I would have done without my husband's help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2007, 12:49 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

HI Mrs. Anchortown,
If the acetomenophen isn't strong enough there is a drug one step down from Percoseete, called hydrocodone. It is a milder narcotic pain reliever. You say trouble regulating temperature. Does that mean he is having fevers? If so you might give the doc a ring.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:24 AM   #4
(female)

ember919 HB User

delete request

Last edited by ember919; 03-27-2007 at 09:29 AM. Reason: please delete - response incorrect

Old 03-27-2007, 05:47 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

I am pretty sure Hydrocodone is Vicodin. I do much better with Vicodin than I do with Percocet.

Closed Thread