It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2007, 07:27 PM   #1
(female)

buchito HB User
Question Just had L4-S1 fusion on March 6th; how long before having a semi-normal life?

Hello to all of you. On March 6th, I had a posterior fusion, and can not see more than what is in front of me. The next day after surgery was hell, after they tried to get me to walk. I am able to move better now, but the back brace and walker put me down a lot. The pain on my back is not as bad, but the nerver pain on my right leg can get pretty uncomfortable.
Would I be able to walk without both by May? Any suggestions on what will help expedite recuperation process? I had a disk removed, and have 3 rods on my spine... but this is all too new to me, and I am starting to question my choice... I dislike very much the sense of hopelessness and frustration I feel... I currently have PT coming to my house 3 times a week, for 1 hour; however, I am contemplating going to a facility (in=patient) hoping it might hrlp mr more. Can somebody with similar experience answer my questions?

Thank you very much.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: Just had L4-S1 fusion on March 6th; how long before having a semi-normal life?

You may have more luck with your question on the back pain board as most of us here are dealing with cervical (neck) issues.

However, as luck would have it I had an L5-S1 fusion in 1993. I had to wear a brace for nearly 6 months post-op. But I was young (in my mid-20s) so I had to be careful but I did quite well.

Be careful and conservative until you have a definitive full fusion - then for the rest of your life be conscious of how you lift, bend and twist. After 14 years I am doing quite well - I can tell when I've overdone it with some pain in my back but I can do most activities well. The only thing I have a problem with is mopping or shoveling snow - or any activity where you bend a lot. Otherwise I don't think about it much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2007, 08:19 PM   #3
(female)

buchito HB User
Re: Just had L4-S1 fusion on March 6th; how long before having a semi-normal life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kross426 View Post
You may have more luck with your question on the back pain board as most of us here are dealing with cervical (neck) issues.

However, as luck would have it I had an L5-S1 fusion in 1993. I had to wear a brace for nearly 6 months post-op. But I was young (in my mid-20s) so I had to be careful but I did quite well.

Be careful and conservative until you have a definitive full fusion - then for the rest of your life be conscious of how you lift, bend and twist. After 14 years I am doing quite well - I can tell when I've overdone it with some pain in my back but I can do most activities well. The only thing I have a problem with is mopping or shoveling snow - or any activity where you bend a lot. Otherwise I don't think about it much.
Thanks for the advice; I am still trying to learn how to navigate this site. Regarding your answer, I really appreciate it; however, I am going crazy and feel uncertain about the upcoming months. I am 33 years old, and to be honest, I am not being able to handle this the way I wished I could.

Thanks again, and have a nice week.

Closed Thread