It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
(female)

painintheneckII HB User
spinal stenosis in my neck

Hi, I am new and have had the SAME pain in the left side of my neck, since 1991. I did not have an accident before the pain first started. The last MRI said I have spinal stenosis. As of a lot of you, I have had difficulties getting it properly diagnosed and treated! I have a 1 year old and 4 year old. It's not fun! I feel like all I feel is the pain in my neck, which makes me unhappy to say the least! The pain is always present. I feel like it takes away from me feeling any joy. Ugh!!!!!!!!!!!

PainintheneckII

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User
Re: spinal stenosis in my neck

When was the last MRI done? What have you been doing for treatments?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
(female)

painintheneckII HB User

my last diagnosis was in August 2006. I have just been enduring the pain --- I have tried chiropractic, steroid shots, muscle relaxants, anti inflamitories, acupuncture, massage, traction and probably more! Every doctor I go to says they never heard of someone's neck hurting when the look down, just up. Huh?!?!?!? My neck defineately hurts when I look down, even if its just slightly down.

Thanks for posting me back! I don't get on the computer much, bc I am a Stay at Home Mom with a 1 and 4 year old. I will check back . . .

TTYS

Karen

Old 04-10-2007, 09:49 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

That is odd that these Drs. said they never heard of anyone in pain when they look down. I totally had pain when I looked down before my fusion surgery. I actually can look down better after the fusion (even though looking down, which is called flexion, and looking up/back...extension......is affected with the fusion I had. I do exercises and stretches to keep it mobile. Before my surgery, for 5 years, the Drs. made me so nuts that I had to go on an anti-depressant from the turmoil they put me in from misdiagnosis. Its one thing to deal with the pain, but then when you add the Dr's behavior, it just gets to be too much. I had to go thru one Dr. after another, until I found decent ones. Its a grueling thing to have to go thru. I really dont know if there is anything they can do for spinal stenosis unless it is surgery. I only had mild stenosis. My main problem was arthritis, spurs, and degenerative disks. Do the Drs tell you there is nothing they can do. Have they mentioned surgery to you?

Old 05-29-2007, 12:03 AM   #5
(female)

painintheneckII HB User

sorry for not replying to your reply until now. The only doctor to mention surgery, said that since the pain in my neck has remained at the same pain level for the past 14 years (very severe and constant), surgery would most likely not help.
I'm glad (ONLY because you have similiar type of pain) that you have pain when you look down too. My last MRI I had was one where I sat and more stenosis was found when I was looking down.

What about these machines that are being advertised to help with neck pain? Has anyone used one and what type of results?

TTYS

Karen

Old 05-29-2007, 06:43 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Seems odd that a doctor would say surgery wouldn't help. I'd check out another nueurosurgeon and an orthopedic spine surgeon. If stenosis has been bothering you for years it seems that surgery may be an option to releive the symptoms. That being said, sometimes damage is permanent (nerves that undergo impingement for a long time may not fully recover). But it's worth getting a 2nd and 3rd opinion.

Closed Thread