It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
(female)

jewels26 HB User
a little concerned

hi all

i have been having issues with my walking etc for about a year now. when i first went to my doctor he said that my nerves were irritated which may of been causing the problems but over the months it has been getting a little worse but as i suffer with an anxiety disorder i am sure this is contributing to the worsening of symptoms. i have had muscle tension for years which certainly does not help. i say this because i have been doing my relaxation techniques and the symptoms do become less severe. the symptoms i notice are- when i walk i can feel my neck and shoulder area go tight (dull aching pain) and i feel when this happens thats when my legs begin to feel weak and heavy ( like lead ) thighs especially, i have had sciatica but the relaxation seems to help that as i have felt the muscles relaxing, i do have a numb sensation in my right hand which has eased a little over the months and hardly notice it sometimes, tight muscles in the head, difficulty walking up the stairs (not all the time ) pain at the bottom of my foot, tightness at the top of my feet but again doesn't hurt and only noticable when i have my shoes on, no problems with driving although getting out of the car on occasion has caused problems. i do have to have a good stretch. i think maybe i have problems in my lower and upper back

i have been to see a neuro and going for an mri scan next week

can these symptoms be caused through the neck by nerve irritation/compression?

any feedback would be great

thanks

Julie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sunshine221 HB User
Re: a little concerned

Jewels - obviously you wont know until you have a cervical spine MRI, but it certainly sounds like you can have some c-spine issues that is causing the gait (walking) issues. My problems started with tightness in the knee, then that got better and my husband noticed my arm wasn't swinging, then my walking deteriorated. By the time I had surgery (about 16 months after symptoms started) I was having major muscle weakness problems. It's now 18month post surgery - I'm told I have some permanent damage in the cord and I still have a bit of a gait issue (very frustrating!!) but overall I'm doing well.

BTW - while most people on this board had a variation of ACDF, my surgen suggested a cervical laminectomy where they go in from the rear and no fussion - a little harder to recover from but for me it was a good option.

Closed Thread