It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2007, 12:29 PM   #1
(female)

tippscandysmom HB User
Surgery thru my throat?

Hi,
I'm new and have some questions that I hope someone can answer for me.I've been going to a spine pm doc for a year doing different things to try to pinpoint what the problem is.I've had injections and now he wants to do a disk-o-gram then possible surgery.I know that he will go through the front of my neck to do the disk o gram and the surgery.Has anyone had anything like this and can they shed some light for me?I am just so afraid of this procedure!I trust my doc and surgeon completely but the idea of neck surgery scares me spitless!
Thanks for any help

Old 03-28-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User
Re: Surgery thru my throat?

HI there.
I had a discogram last Nov. and I didnt feel a thing. They usually put you in a twilight sleep and you dont remember any of it. They try and recreate your pain during the procedure, but for me, the pain was no worse than my usual pain that I had. I ended up having anterior cervical fusion and diskectomy on Jan. 10th and I personally am very happy I did it because I feel TONS better now. What exactly is the reason they want to do surgery? For me it was degenerative disks at C5-C7, bone spurs, and facet joint arthritis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
(female)

tippscandysmom HB User

Hi,
To be honest I'm not really sure what exactly it is.I've had an mri and he said that my neck is curved the opposite way it should be to start with and the discs are all but gone.He did the ep.injections,the first time just one shot in the back of my neck then that didn't help so he did several up the side of my neck.I think that was in between the joints.Well that didn't work so now he wants to do the disc o gram and then he said something about surgery after he sees what the disc o gram shows.I'm just so tired of the pain.I'm on 10/500 lortab,4 per day and fiornal for the headachs.I'm going through Texas rehab so I have to wait for each procedure to get approved before they can do it and that's why it's taking so long.I'm self employed and can't afford insurance and I feel really lucky to be able to go thru this program to help with the cost.I'm glad you said the disc o gram doesn't hurt.Did they go thru the front of your neck to do it?

Old 03-28-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Try not to worry about getting the discogram. Like I said, most people are so out of it from IV sedation you won't know what's happening. I only remember one thing (vaguely) and that is when the Dr. asked me if I felt pain when they injected dye into the disk. I did somewhat (nothing bad) and then I was totally out of it again. They dont usually do discograms unless surgery is your next stop. Its not a test they do routinely unless you are going to have surgery. It helps the Dr. (surgeon) know exactly what is the problem.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
(female)

tippscandysmom HB User

Thank you so much! I already feel much better now!
At least not quiet as scared!

Old 04-01-2007, 08:35 PM   #6
(female)

painfulneck HB User

Hi I don't mean to scare you but not everyone is put under twilight sedation like the other poster wrote. I was not. I t was uncomfortable because the MD had me hold my neck in a very painful(for me) position for about 10 mins while they did the procedure. I was not given any anes. because they wanted me to tell them exactly where and when my pain occured. as soon as he hit the BAD disc he stopped immediately and did an x-ray to see the contrast. It pinpointed the herniated disc precisely. Afterwards he RXed a script for vicodin. I was a little sorer for a couple of days, but I've had worst procedures. I would do it again if I was considering surgery. I had an ACDF 5/6 donor bone no hardware in August. My pain level is ALOT better but have little while to go. I would say it was successful. Good Luck Let me know if you have any questions. P

Closed Thread