It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2007, 06:40 PM   #1
(male)

rob_zzz HB User
is it normal to feel 'better' just before surgery?

Is it normal to feel like everything is ok and wonder why you're even considering going through with it once you've scheduled yourself for surgery?

Old 03-29-2007, 11:06 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User
Re: is it normal to feel 'better' just before surgery?

I went thru the same thing before my surgery. I started to 2nd guess if I needed it.I think some of why I felt that way was I was less active because school was out, so I wasnt as flaired up (I am a teacher).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2007, 04:45 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

Let me play devil's advocate. I don't think it is normal. Most people that get to surgical intervention usually fall in one of two categories. Either they have such significant pain it is interfering with their life, or they have some neurological deficit - like numbness, tingling, other disturbances, that require fixing. If this doesn't describe you then I would ask why are you proceeding with surgery instead of following conservative measures.

If you feel better, ask yourself if you have changed your activity level as you prepare for surgery. Did you rest more, stop exercising, something? Is there something that changed? If you feel much better, did the weather change where you live?

If you can't pinpoint anything and you really feel better, then you could also postpone and see if your particular case just needed more time and you are really starting to feel better.

The reason I say this is there is no gurantee that you will feel 100% perfect after surgery and if you are a case that is improving a little without surgery, then should you wait?

Or are you afraid and convincing yourself that you feel better?

Only you know your body.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:51 AM   #4
(male)

rob_zzz HB User

thanks for the replies.

Athough for a long time I have had poor turning range and some aggravating neck and shoulder pain, its the neurological symptoms have been worrying me a lot and are what have led me down this path - they've been going on for two years but are more frequent and more intense and have started to include some new and strange types of pain as well. But the past two weeks they've been pretty settled. There's still a little bit of stuff going on but much milder than its been over the past two months. I fully expect that it will flare up again at some point but have been surprised how 'better' I can feel at the moment and its giving me doubts about what to do.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:48 AM   #5
(male)

thecraw HB User

Sorry for bumping an older thread...but just realised through searching that Rob ZZZ has had his op.

Am sorry I wasnt around the boards to hear how it went for you. Someone who gave me some great advice and support during my own experience several years before.

Hopefully you have subscribed to this thread and you can give us an update.

Paul

Old 05-19-2007, 09:29 AM   #6
(female)

souffoue HB User

I felt the same way before my surgery and had the same question. that is what is so great about boards like this - even if the post might be not so new - it can help others (newbies) like me.

Closed Thread