It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2007, 02:20 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

captnanny HB User
Red face AGGRAVATED need acdf, on too much pain meds

Hi all
I've posted in here before but thought I'd start a new thread. I'm 37 years old with moderate stenosis, I think in c3-c4, c4-c5 and severe in c5-c6 with narrowing of the spinal canal, nerve damage, and muscle atrophy I don't know what they call it when it radiates down your arms but mine get cold numb and BURN. I have been told by three or four neurosurgeons and orthopaedists that I need surgery. my mom wants more and more opinions but I can't take it anymore. They have me on so much medicine, 50 mg of the duragesic patch which is going to prolong my post opt anyway and it's starting to put me in a fog, make me depressed and just plain yucky. It doesn't help the pain, so I addicted, so to speak for no reason. My mom does not get it. Is anyone else on this much medicine before surgery?

Last edited by captnanny; 04-01-2007 at 02:22 AM. Reason: title change

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2007, 08:56 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: AGGRAVATED need acdf, on too much pain meds

quite frankly,this is not your mothers body,her conditoon or her pain,so what are you waiting for?what is SHE waiting for here anyway?having obtained several opinions on your condition and options,i seriously doubt at this point that any other docs opinion is really going to make any difference,ya know?

I really think,and i am speaking as the mom of two adult children,that 'mom' is the one having the problem with you even having any sort of actual surgery.for the most part,moms are like that.just ask her why she feels that getting anymore actual opinions is really going to make one bit of difference at this point.it wont.i really just think she is probably having a much harder time just knowing that surgery is realistically,your only real option.but you cannot let your moms fears for you get in between what you KNOW has to just be done.You are the one who is suffering with this,not her and you are the only one who can just say,enough,and get going with the surgeon you feel was the best out of the ones you were evaluated by.

its just hard to deal with as a mom of a child who has to have surgery done.i have been thru watching my youngest(age 12 at the time) go thru liver failure and transplant and as if that wasn't bad enough, a few years later he suffered a severe head/brain injury with double skull fracture and a lovely three week coma.she just needs to come to terms with the fact that this is going to have to happen,no ifs ands or buts.she just needs a bit of reassurance from you that you know you are making the right decision at the right time,and you DO really appreciate her very real concerns for you,but this is just something that has to be done.you are truely suffering with this,highlight that part of things to her.moms hate to see their children suffer,it does not matter what age they are,believe me.just tell her you are doing what needs to be done and you just cannot continue to live only half a life in constant pain anymore.

i wish you lots of luck with this and with your mom.she cares about you,thats her job.she just isn't going to feel great at any point with her 'baby" having any surgery ever.just tell her you have made a decision and go with it.please keep me posted on things,K?Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2007, 11:43 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

Hi - yea it's not fun having this stuff. Narcotic drugs help ease but don't really address the nerve pain the way some other options do. THere are drugs that specifically target nerve pain (Neurontin, Lyrica, Topamax, and I think a few others). I had really horrendus nerve pain down my arms prior to my surgeries, they had to knock me out at the hospital a number of times. The Neurontin really hellped me. I took about 2400 mg of Neurontin a day plus I was taking about 10-12 (10) mg vicodin and a couple percosetts with it. After about 2 weeks the nerve pain calmed down and I was able to reduce the narcotics. Selective nerve root blocks may help reduce your symptoms as well, until you get the surgery.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

captnanny HB User

Thank you for your input.
My mom has maybe come to terms with me deciding on the surgery. The first thing she said to me was " do you have your resume done?" that was the first clue that she is in total denial. She at least realizes that she is. I know she is just really concerned, but it's hard not to feel criticized when mom doesn't like my choices. I've made up my mind. I'm going for a second mri today and talking the the doctor that I trust and already he has set up a team for me, pain man. neuro, and pt hopefully we can get a date set.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

captnanny HB User

hi NECKPATIENT, Thanks for posting.
just to let you knkow that I have had three nerve blocks, no real results and the nerve medications, i'm on trileptal, a very low dose. For some reason all the ones you mentioned i've tried and pass out when i'm on them. It even gets worse the longer I'm on them. I dont know what is up with my body.

Old 04-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #6
(female)

souffoue HB User

I'm sorry you are going through this. I have a ruptured disc in my neck and I have never experienced such pain as this, not even childbirth holds a candle the pain I have been in, so I empathize with you. I know what you mean about the meds too. I was on morphine and it wasn't touching the pain. The PM dr. told me I might be on meds for the rest of my life - not an option. I don't like feeling like I am addicted to them at all. Good luck and here's hoping you are feeling better soon!

Old 04-04-2007, 09:48 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

captnanny: I see in your other post you have a surgery date, that is good. Some people don't respond well to medications. If you are miserable it seems like it is time to get it taken care of of.

Souffoue: Surgery isn't always a 100% answer for everyone. Lots of people here continue to take pain med and treatments for the rest of their lives. It all depends on how serious the problem was before and how soon you seek help, and other factors. THere was a very good post sometime in the last year about the difference between being addicted to pain medicine and being dependent on pain medicine.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:32 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I kind of figured thats where mom was at in her head with this.its just the way moms are.i am so proud of you tho for just going ahead with this.it IS your body that is doing the biggest suffering.you needed to do something to help yourself and you are.thats great.mom will eventually come to terms with things.just give her time.hang in there and keep us posted.good luck,Marcia

Old 04-06-2007, 03:14 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

captnanny HB User

She's going to Florida the day after my surgery and chose to go somewhere else for Easter. She is Some lady. She sure is mad that I don't want her to spend the night with me before the surg. My Best friend is. I just am glad I woke up now instead of remaining in this pain while she yellled that it is
"ALL IN MY HEAD" that's what she told the doctor too. whooo
i'm starting to get scared though. How did anyone put shirts on after surg. if they had a hard collar on?

Old 04-06-2007, 08:52 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Hi there - I used to live in Park Ridge in the 90's - I love that area!

I figure your mom is either really scared/nervous OR she just doesn't understand the effects of chronic debilitating pain/symptoms and the associated medications. Only you know how this is affecting you and she'll have to live with your choice to make your quality of life better

Old 04-21-2007, 06:52 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

captnanny,just wondering how things are going with you?Marcia

Old 04-22-2007, 04:53 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

captnanny HB User

hey,
thanks for checking up. I'm ok sometimes. It's been 9 days and the first 4 i was euphoric from all the anesthesia, dilaudid and that the surgery actually worked. Day 5 or 6 I experienced the worst post opt pain I ever had. The nurse at the hospital told me to take my anti inflammatories which for me was very wrong and then sent me home with medecine I was already toleratant to. I finally got the right medecine and feel better except the shoulder spasms, sore throat and swelling of it, but I know this is part of the healing process. I might not go back to work for four weeks which is good just to give my body time to rest without friends living with me and the false illusion that I also have to entertain.
The numbness and burning is totally gone and I have had no muscle spasms going down my back, just the new ones in my neck and shoulders.
Thanks for asking, just trying not to do too much, I know that I am at times so I'll be checking back like every other day or so.
how's everyone else doing?

Closed Thread