It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2007, 07:29 AM   #1
(female)

poopoopadoop HB User
What to take for pain relief BEFORE any type of surgery was tried?

Hi,
I am wondering what people were given for pain relief BEFORE any type of surgery was tried.

For me, I am surprised some that I have pretty serious pain and have only been given naproxen (NSAID), and Vicodin (I only take 1-2 pills over the course of a day). I live with the pain much of the time, and sometimes even have it bad while on vicodin. Thankfully, I am having surgery pretty soon.

Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2007, 09:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User
Re: What to take for pain relief BEFORE any type of surgery was tried?

I took TRAMADOL (aka ULTRAM). It initially made me really spaced out but then I got used to it. It took the edge off my pain, but did not get rid of it. I know alot of people do take this drug. It is much less addicting than Vicodin. Personally I get less spaced out on taking 1 Vicodin than the Tramadol. Nsaids never even touched my pain. All they did to me was ruin my stomach. I was on Celebrex for awhile, but even that one killed my stomach.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-01-2007 at 01:56 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2007, 12:40 PM   #3
(female)

Payton02 HB User

About six weeks prior to surgery, I was taking 4 to 5 Vicodin per day. My pain subsided significantly over a period of weeks. I wasn't taking any pain meds for about two weeks prior to surgery.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-01-2007 at 01:56 PM.

Old 04-01-2007, 08:13 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

julyg HB Userjulyg HB User

the only thing that worked for me was MOIST heat pad (electric) with sponge insert that you slide in the case ringing wet. YOu can get them $12 to $14 at any major chain drug store. Alternating with cervical ice packs.

Epidurals worked well for a while.

Tramadol made me see double. Narcotics made me sick to my stomach.

We all feel your pain!

Old 04-03-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
(female)

souffoue HB User

oxycodone, percoset, dilaudid, cervical epidural is what I have tried - nothing has really helped. Hope you find some relief soon.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:36 PM   #6
(female)

merryish HB User

The only thing that worked for me, before or after surgery, was oxycontin. The muscle relaxants, the ultram, the dilaudid, the nsaids, none of it did anything for me. I was actually in the hospital an extra night after my surgery because the nurses (damn them) insisted on exhausting every option before giving me the pain killer I knew would work. I woke up from the anaesthetic crying, and spent a night on the morphine pump in agony, before they'd give me the oxycontin again.

Man, I know the stuff is addictive, but not everybody who needs it is a drug-seeking junkie. I was really disappointed in the hospital and the care I received there.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:34 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

same here, ibuprofen, tylenon, vicodin, percosette, oxy, neurontin, epidurals, selective nerve root blocks and live on a heating pad. I have had 2 surgeries and still take 4-6 vicodin a day with ibuprofen for permanent pain.

Closed Thread