It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2007, 06:48 AM   #1
(female)

jkd65 HB User
I am new here and very scared .. need opinions

Hi.
i have been reading many posts to see if anyone had simialr symptoms as I do. I decided to post.
sorry if this ends up long.
I kept waking up very early morning hours with severe middle back pain. After getting up and moving around it felt better. At my physical i explained it to my GP who ordered an xray. She has me so frightened. the xray results were conrfusing to me.
as far as the lumbar,, there is a question of decreased height ( slightly) of the L4 vertebral body , possble MRI for further investigation
the T spine.. question of sublte areas of lucency on t5 and even more suble on t 8 only seen on AP view. either MRI, CT scan or Bone scan could be done for further investigation. it says no spondylolsis or spondylolisthesis found. on the lumbar xray and no abnormal mineralization or subluxation on t spine.. soft tissue looks fine on t spine etc..
so my doc has me frightened and wants me to do the bone scan first to rule out cancer.. what/??? i ahve been crying for two days. my blood work came out fine for RA , kidney etc.. did an entire work up.
my main pain is in middle back which seems to radiate to chest at times,, and my neck .. my arms ( mostly left) feels slightly numb at times.. maybe this is in my head now but my legs feel heavy at times.
can a disc problem be missed on an xray ( even though it says disc space height is preserved??? I am jsut so scared i havea t umor causing these problems.
what else would a bone scan show? would that show a disc problem in the t spine? i dont see too many posts that have xray results, mostly MRI's.. I guess depdning on the bone scan result ( in one week), she will order adn MRI, she wants to be safe and do this first.
i did not think my neck wa s a big problem during phsyical and did nto mention tht to her ..but when i turn it it sounds like a crunching sound.

thanks for any help. if anyone has had a strang xray result like this that turned ou tto be a disc problem,, that would be a great story for me to hear.

janet

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2007, 06:05 AM   #2
(female)

AJoKo70 HB User
Re: I am new here and very scared .. need opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkd65 View Post
Hi.
i have been reading many posts to see if anyone had simialr symptoms as I do. I decided to post.
sorry if this ends up long.
I kept waking up very early morning hours with severe middle back pain. After getting up and moving around it felt better. At my physical i explained it to my GP who ordered an xray. She has me so frightened. the xray results were conrfusing to me.
as far as the lumbar,, there is a question of decreased height ( slightly) of the L4 vertebral body , possble MRI for further investigation
the T spine.. question of sublte areas of lucency on t5 and even more suble on t 8 only seen on AP view. either MRI, CT scan or Bone scan could be done for further investigation. it says no spondylolsis or spondylolisthesis found. on the lumbar xray and no abnormal mineralization or subluxation on t spine.. soft tissue looks fine on t spine etc..
so my doc has me frightened and wants me to do the bone scan first to rule out cancer.. what/??? i ahve been crying for two days. my blood work came out fine for RA , kidney etc.. did an entire work up.
my main pain is in middle back which seems to radiate to chest at times,, and my neck .. my arms ( mostly left) feels slightly numb at times.. maybe this is in my head now but my legs feel heavy at times.
can a disc problem be missed on an xray ( even though it says disc space height is preserved??? I am jsut so scared i havea t umor causing these problems.
what else would a bone scan show? would that show a disc problem in the t spine? i dont see too many posts that have xray results, mostly MRI's.. I guess depdning on the bone scan result ( in one week), she will order adn MRI, she wants to be safe and do this first.
i did not think my neck wa s a big problem during phsyical and did nto mention tht to her ..but when i turn it it sounds like a crunching sound.

thanks for any help. if anyone has had a strang xray result like this that turned ou tto be a disc problem,, that would be a great story for me to hear.

janet
Hi Janet

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I don't have much to add, but I did want to let you know that I had an x-ray too and it did not show anything about the disc problems that I apparently have. I know it's very hard to not think the worst, but just know that there are lots of nice people on here that have been through a lot of this same stuff and you can vent anytime you need to. Good luck and let us know what is going on with you.

Amy

Old 04-02-2007, 07:27 AM   #3
(female)

jkd65 HB User

Thank you Amy.
I am just freaking out and am not happy i have to wait a wee kfor bone scan and then probably at least another week for results. I keep trying to tell myself it is probably a disc problem in t spine. i hav been working out five days a week for years .. maybe wear and tear. it hurts more like when i twist than bend. during the day i really am not in that much pain. yesterday it did seem to affect my neck and arm a bit more but i was sitting at the computer a lot.
how was your disc problem diagnosed? I guess i just don't like the lucency word on xray report adn i guess the NP did not either. I guess the other ? is the lumbar report.. why it is slightly/minially showing compression deformity at L4.
my poor husband has to deal with me having huge crying spurts.. sometimes i can't even look at my kids.. iam so cared. i am trying to read a lot to see simialr situations where it just turned out okay. at this point if they said i had to live with this pain all my life but was not life threatning i woujld be happy with it.

thanks for listening
janet

Old 04-02-2007, 08:07 AM   #4
(female)

AJoKo70 HB User

I totally understand freaking out! I'm putting my poor hubby through the same thing. I started having pain in my right shoulder and down my arm, my whole arm started going numb also. My GP diagnosed it as a pinched nerve, but it got so much worse, and went into my neck. She ordered an MRI and an x-ray, the x-ray showed a couple of things, but not nearly as much as my MRI showed. She then sent me to a neurosurgeon who said surgery right away but wouldn't go over the MRI report with me. I have an appointment for a second opinion with a neurosurgeon who got me in right away after seeing my MRI. My GP told me I had a herniated disc, a growth, and a degererative disc disease. Still in LOTS of pain and looking forward to Thursday. I have two small children and work full time so surgery is not sounding like something I want to do, but I can't live in pain either.

I hope all goes well for you, keep me posted.

Closed Thread