It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2007, 11:43 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

bigstan HB User
Cervical DDD and Ear pain/Tinnitus

Hi everyone,

I recently have been diagnosed with C6-7 disc degeneration. I have had 24/7 headache's and ear ringing since Oct 06. Diagnosed after an MRI in Dec 06. Which showed moderate DDD and with an osteophyte pinching on the root nerve. I have terrible pain turning my head to the left. And a chronic hissing/ringing in both ears 24/7 that never stops. It's causing me some anxiety/panic. Anybody know of a connection between cervical, headaches, and ear pain/tinnitus?

Last edited by bigstan; 04-06-2007 at 11:46 PM.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:14 AM   #2
(female)

monarog HB User
Re: Cervical DDD and Ear pain/Tinnitus

Hi Bigstan,

I had a rupture at c6-7. I experienced ringing in my ears on several occasions, though mine only happened a few times and for only 20 minutes or so. I am assuming it is connected, but who knows? I do know when I met with my NS at one point he did ask me if I had any ringing in my ears. As far as ear pain and/or headache, can't comment on those, sorry. Good luck! Mona

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2007, 06:48 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Tho it is indeed possible to have this with c spine problems,it really should be evaluated on its own merit,you know what i mean?just because we do have something already Dxed in our bodies doesn't always mean that any and all symptoms are actually stemming from that Dx.the symptoms you are mentioning here could also indicate a problem within the actual brain itself,but then again it could be a c spine/muscle related issue too.there is just no real way to know unless you get the brain MRIed.i really would try and obtain at the very least here and MRI with contrast on your brain just to be certain that this IS a c spine issue and not something else.better safe than sorry ya know?this does need to be evaluated seperately from your c spine.i wish you luck with this and hope its all stemming from your c spine alone.please keep us posted as to what you find out.marcia

Old 04-08-2007, 07:48 AM   #4
(female)

monarog HB User

Bigstan,

I totally agree with Marcia on this. I actually had brain MRI's on 2 different occasions to see what was going on; thankfully both came back normal. But I too, wanted to make sure I didn't have something else happening along with the existing c-spine issues. I think this is very good advice. Please keep us posted. Mona

Old 04-08-2007, 04:13 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

jbsim HB Userjbsim HB User

I do have pain on turning my head to the left and I have ddd,bone spurs and disk bulges. I also sometimes have a pain in my ear but no ringing or buzzing.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:16 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

bigstan HB User

Hi everyone,

Thank you for posting an answer. I have the DDD and its painful turning to the left. I had EMG study which revealed no radiculopathy traveling down the arms at this time. However the EMG study indicated moderate Carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands/wrists. This past December I had an MRI (Brain), and MRI (Cervical) at the same time. The diagnoses of the neck was DDD C6-7 pinching on the root nerve. However at the same time it was revealed in the brain MRI that I have a 7mm small mass (tumor) just above the Pituitary gland under the optic chaism. Located at the center between the eyes where the nose cartilage ends. I have seen two Neurosurgeons and both agreed that it was a non functioning cyst. An incidental finding. I also was informed that 1 out of 4 people walking the face of the earth has one of these types of tumors. In fact 25%-30% of all autopsy's would reveal Pituitary tumors. So this gave me some comfort. Back to the ear ringing/hissing that I hear. It is with me 24/7. Especially loud at night. I try to mask the noise out with a fan when I sleep. Its terribly affecting the quality of my life. It causes great anxiety, and I have started to have panic attacks which I've never had in my life. I can push both of my ear flaps inward to close off sound and I hear a loud high pitched ring/hiss with pain. I've been to three ENT's. They can't find a problem with my ears. They say tinnitus. But I have always taking care of my ears not listening to loud music or enviroments. I have had some dizziness along with this disorder. I just was prescribed Neurontin which I will try and see if it quiets down the noises I hear. Hopefully it will work. A friend of mine mentioned TMJ disorder, so that is another possibility.

Thanks everybody

Old 04-09-2007, 05:20 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just for the heck of it,try taking some supplimental niacin?my mom had non stop tinninitus for well over a year and her doc just suggested this to her one day so she tried it,and amazingly,that ear ringing that had been making her crazy,just went away completely.weird.just one possibility.

how have your BPs been?do you ever have pulsatile tinninitus at all?this is where you would actually hear your heartbeat within the ear?I know,just because i also have the pulsatile crap,that from the research i have done on this particular issue,it states that in some cases,when there is any actual fluid that is somehow trapped within the eustachion tube,it can amplify the sound of even your arterial pulsations.just one angle there.

but really give that niacin thing a try,honestly my mom was really shocked that this was the thing that finally got rid of the non stop ringing she had been dealing with for well over a years time,when no doc could help her with it before the niacin was suggested.only take the reccomended dose tho since in higher doses,it can cause a reddish cast to your skin surfaces?they call it the niacin 'flush'.But at this point,what have you got to lose by giving this at least a shot ya know?hope things will get better for you soon.please keep us posted,Marcia

Old 04-09-2007, 11:44 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

I have tinnitus as well, but it is very difficult to determine the exact cause. Some nights it disturbs my ability to fall asleep so I can relate to what you are saying. During waking hours I have learned to ignore it.

In addition to middle ear infections, Tinnitus may also be caused by an allergy, sinus, diabetes, surgery, thyroid problems, blood circulation problems or injury to the head or neck, and a whole host of other issues. It may be caused or exacerbated by a reaction against medications such as antibiotics or some antidepressants. Some drugs can be toxic to the auditory nerve and cause permanent damage, resulting in tinnitus. Aspirin, caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol are also known to cause or exacerbate tinnitus.

As we age it develops as well, so unless there is some obvious cause, doctors don't seem to be too disturbed about the tinnitus itself, and mostly you will get recommendations to play light music or some other noise to help distract yourself from it.

Having dizziness with the ringing really reminds me of middle ear problems. If you have allergies or sinus drainage on and off this could be irritating your ear. I have taken Neurontin in the past, I don't remember if it took away the ringing, but you might as well try and see if it helps you. Let us know.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:08 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User

Hi bigstan, I suffer from RSD which effects the nerves in my neck, shoulder and head. I take Neurontin for the nerve pain but I suffer from ringing in my ear and sometimes dizziness as well. It's part of the symptons of this disease. Sometimes the ringing quietens down but usually it worse at night. I also get that dizzy feeling as well it not as bad as it was before I was diagnosed with RSD. But at times when I'm in a lot of pain, I get those dizzy spells but it don't last long.

Closed Thread