It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User
Valium and Muscle Spasms

Does anyone here take Valium for muscle spasms? I went to my 3 month post op appt. on Thurs. and we discussed my chronic muscle spasms. She did say MANY people have muscle spasms for at least 6 months after ACDF, especially when the fusion was done at such low levels (C5-C7). My trapezius and upper back are still so tight, no matter what I do. The only thing that helps is that IMS (intra-muscular stimulation) where they dry needle the spastic muscle. Before surgery, even that didnt help. Its encouraging that at least they help now. But it seems that the muscles tighten up all over again after a few days of getting the IMS. The Phys. Asst suggested taking Valium at night. She said at least the spastic muscles would get a chance to rest and maybe heal. She prescribed 5 mg. Valium, to take 1-2 at bedtime. Anyone do the Valium thing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2007, 11:40 AM   #2
(female)

quilter58 HB User
Re: Valium and Muscle Spasms

SKZ I have thought alot about your health issues.......I am worried for all the different types of drugs that you have been on or prescribed.....I wonder if some other type of care would work for you such as ......soaking in hot baths, massage, gentle stretching, and couple all of that with some visual thinking.......Visualize yourself healthy, talk to your body.....I know it probably sounds kooky but it does work.......I have heard this phrase - WHAT YOU FOCUS ON EXPANDS.......if you focus on every little ache and pain it will probably expand those pains......if you focus on a healthy body maybe your body will be healthy.........just some ideas for a different approach to a healthy body...........

I truly feel any more that people are on way too many drugs to feel better......some people feel that if their doctors don't prescribe drugs they are not being treated........I also look at for how many thousands of years did people treat themselves without the drugs we have today.......not talking about infections........just merely the muscle things can be treated with heat, ice, stretching, massage........and changing our way of thinking about our bodies........

Good blessings to you and a Happy Easter......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Yes, valium has worked well for me as a muscle relaxant. Much better than flexeril.

I do massage therapy every month but I'll never be one of those who can get away with no medications.

No offense to Quilter58 - but ACDF is not "natural" so I don't think you can expect to heal without some medication intervention.

I've always been the kind to say "If it can be fixed, then do what is needed" be it medication or surgery, etc.

Last edited by SpineAZ; 04-07-2007 at 12:40 PM.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Quilter,
I appreciate your opinion, but trust me I have tried everything a person can try to help my muscle spasms, including biofeedback. I dont sit and dwell all day long on this, but it very much interferes with my life. I am a teacher and its rough standing up all day in pain and dealing with 30 kids. Its hard to not think of your pain when it tends to overrules your life and makes living it tough.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:14 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

By the way, if visualization is so helpful, how come smoking is still an issue? I would take that drug that poster recommended, rather than end up with a horrible smoking related malady. I look at it as the lesser of 2 evils. Whatever helps a person, ya know?

Old 04-07-2007, 07:57 PM   #6
(female)

ms.titanium HB User

My doctor told me that Valium is the best muscle relaxant that there is. But it is a pretty strong drug. My father took it for years. I still take flexeril at night when necessary but I find if I take it to many nights in a row it affects my memory. I also think that for some people the spasms never go away. I hope that you can overcome yours but it may take more than drugs. Heat, exercise, the right pillow and all the other things all add up to help.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:32 PM   #7
(female)

quilter58 HB User

SKZ, I did not intend to step on your toes ,,,,,I only meant to offer up some other type of therapy.........I admit I am addicted to nicotine.....I haven't been trying to quit lately.......but when I do I will use the visualization in addition to changing my habits that go with the smoking....I won't just rely upon the drug to do it for me.....there has to be a mind set there also.....I will try other options such as the Chantix.....I have only recently became aware of this........I too have hurtles in my way of making progress.....I have a mother I am caring for that is in late stage cancer......my smoking is a "dealing with" tool for right now......I wasn't asking for help on that ....you were asking about help with spasms.......I won't offer any more suggestions if it upsets you...you could simply not try the suggestions instead of attacking someone..........

Old 04-08-2007, 08:04 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Valium also helps with my severe leg spasms i aquired post spinal cord surgery,but it does not appear to want to help with the neck and upper back spasms and muscle wads i keep getting up there.don't really understand that one.

i also have a really messed up c spine.the reason for the spasms and trigger points that alot of people will get before and post surgery is constant inflammation.that inflammation that is going on during the healing process and other areas of the c spine,if you also happen to have any other issues,espescially DDD,also will contribute to the problem as well.the inflammation irritates the nerves which in turn irritate the muscles.its really a nasty cycle.I am starting with a new PT person tomorrow for just this issue.my right side of my neck on down thru my shoulder blade and right underneath my shoulder blade are one huge tight wadded up mess right now.i use lidocaine patches sometimes in the worst spots.this does help with the radiating pain i will get with this when everything hits the fan.i have also used the old tennis ball in the sock up against a wall thing?that does help to just roll it around and into the trigger point wads and can even reduce them down if you can hold it for about 30-45 seconds or so.what i really need tho is a "massuse in a closet" that i can pop out when needed.

I am hoping that this new PT thing will at least help keep things a bit more loose for me.anything would help at this point and i am willing to ge there.hopefully once your inflammation goes down or you can get to the point where you can again take anti inflammitories,things will get better for you.i wish i had better suggestions for you.good luck,marcia

Old 04-08-2007, 08:21 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Thanks Marcia. I tried the balls in the sock thing, which is really great. MY PT told me to use racketballs. hehe. A Thera-cane is awesome, too.

Quilter: Sorry you got so insulted. Its just that my post was about VALIUM. I wasnt inquiring about VISUALIZATIONS and how I take so many drugs, which I dont take all at the same time. I TRY different things per my Dr. If you notice, people that responded to my original post shared their Valium experiences with me. I have been going thru muscle spasms for 5 yrs. non stop. I bought a hot tub, Temper-pedic bed and pillow, have gone to at least 8 PTs, massages, osteopath, had the surgery.....on and on. Like I said I even did several months of Bio-feedback and visualizations. It just seemed like a lecture at my aripe ole ge of 51, which although it came from a good place, didnt sit particularly well with me. I think its probably the best approach on this board, is if we try and stick to what the person is asking and not so much unsoliciated opinions. People would most likely ask if they wanted opinions on something they didnt post.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:01 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

julyg HB Userjulyg HB User

Hey Sue,

I take the valium. It is about the only drug I can take and it helps
ALOT! I take 5 mg ant night and when I am having a good stretch I don't take it all.

July

Old 04-09-2007, 06:42 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

julyg HB Userjulyg HB User

Sue
Also do the ball and sock thing and the ther-a-cane! We really do have a lot in common!

Old 04-09-2007, 07:18 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Thanks July for the response. Do you know how long one can take 5 mg of Valium at night and not get addicted. That kind of scares me. I am going to NY and DC in May for 8 days and I know my 21 yr. old will run me ragged. I am hoping Valium will help me not have a rough time from all the running around. I am pretty sure I wont be exercising and doing the usual stuff that helps the knots and spasms during this time. It will be nice to have a fun time, though! (and eat my way thru NYC!)

Old 04-09-2007, 07:23 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Oops, I just realized I missed reading the 3rd page of responses!! Thanks ALL for responding. Like I mentioned previously, it seems to help alot, the Valium, but I fear getting hooked on it. What do all your Drs. say about this?

Old 04-09-2007, 07:23 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

rayefaye HB User

I have what they call Cervical Dystonia which is where I have severe muscle spasms in both sides of my neck. The muscle spasms can get so bad that my shoulder witll draw all the way up to my ear lobe. I take Soma 350 mg 4 x times a day and then sometimes that doesn't even help. Especially when we have severe weather or strong fronts move in. My muscles are so hard around both sides of my neck that sometimes they cause me to have severe headaches. I've tried everything even Botox shots which didn't help. Sometimes these muscle spasms go down my back muscles and cause me to be hunched over. Then I have to go to ER and get a steriod shot just to relieve the muscle spasms. I have to watch everything I do and what I lift up and cannot raise my arms over my head. Because if I overdo it, it justs makes it worse. So I truly feel for you because I know what it likes and sometimes all those other things don't work except for some kind of medication.

Last edited by rayefaye; 04-09-2007 at 07:24 PM.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:29 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

rayefaye......Gee whiz, I cannot believe you mentioned DYSTONIA. My physiatrist kept telling me pre-op that I had this. You are the first person I have read on here that said they had it, too. I guess I have more of a mild form of it. I really feel for you because I know how it really can limit your life. I keep getting these calls to sub. teach and I seriously do not want to do it. Being on my feet all day kills me. I may try and do the half days. I am so afraid of setting myself back. I am finally in a place where I am not taking 2 steps forward and 3 steps backward. A person can get paranoid after going thru this for 5 yrs. Thanks so much for sharing with me.

Closed Thread