It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2007, 02:29 PM   #1
(female)

souffoue HB User
SKZ - ? for you please

Hi there,

I am getting sooooooooooo nervous for my surgery on thursday that I am seroiusly thinking of cancelling. I wish I wasn't such a wimp. I really don't think I would be so nervous if I didn't have a young DD at home and the thought of something going wrong terrifies me for her.

I saw on one of your other posts that you mentioned having several surgeries where they have to intubate you. Is this done while you are awake? Do they take the tube out when you are awake? Is it painful - putting in and taking out the tube? Will I be intubated for this surgery? I know that is probably a dumb question but the Dr. didn't mention that.

Thanks for the help. sorry for all the lame questions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2007, 07:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User
Re: SKZ - ? for you please

Your questions are NOT lame. I feel for you, with all your anxiety you are feeling.
OK, about the intubation. Never once did I EVER EVER know I was being intubated. They do this when you are under anesthesia and take it out before you anesthesia wears off I promise you will not know that you had it! The only way you will know is that your throat might get sore from it. I never had a bad sore throat from the intubation. Your sore throat will be most likely from having neck surgery, not intubation. Please dont cancel your surgery. Let me share you my short story. Like I said, I really suffered from degenerative disks and spurs and horrible facet joint arthritis for 5 yrs. I was really ready for relief. I had every possible pain procedure, but none ever lasted. I was supposed to have my ACDF c5 THRU c7 on Dec. 21st of 2006. The we had the blizzard from hell in Denver and it got cancelled the day before. OYYYYYYYYYYYY. I had to wait 2 weeks to find out my new surgery date (they were closed from the blizzard and then the holidays). I got rescheduled for Jan. 10th. Then I got sicker than hell with a massive sinus infection. (that's a whole other story). I ended up having the surgery, sick and all and I was so preoccupied with feeling like crap from the sinus infection, I hardly even knew I had a neck surgery.
Now, I swear to you, do NOT worry about not waking up or the intubation. You will get some great drug in your IV (make sure you tell them how anxious you are). They may give you even more. They give you a relaxer (ask for this), THEN all of a sudden, you wake up and you seriously cannot believe it is over and done with. I wasnt in a whole lotta pain when I woke up. Also, tell them you are afraid of getting nauseous from the anesthesia afterwards, and that you want anti- nausea medication in your IV. They will give it if you ask. I have never ever had any problems with my surgeries. I am at the point where I am not even hardly scared when I have surgery. I guess I am an OLD pro, emphasis on the word OLD. HEH. Please do not worry about this waking up thing. You will wake up and most likely on the road to a better life. That will be good for your daughter, too. A mommy in less pain! I am a mommy now in less pain. Even my spasms are getting better, which is a freaking miracle. I do a ton of exercises, but they are very worth it. Please trust me on this stuff. I am seriously the QUEEN OF SURGERY

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
(female)

souffoue HB User

{{{{SKZ}}} I wish you were here so I could give a hug in person. Your post really helps alot. I know my fear of not waking up is irrational but that is me - worry about anything and everything! I haven't had too many surgeries and I guess the ones I have had are considered minor?? - carpal tunnel (I was awake for that); c-section - also awake; tubal ligation and endometrial ablation. The only thing I remember from being put under is with the endometrial ablation - I remember someone saying "susan wake up, susan wake up . . ." which seemed like they said it forever and I was thinking in to myself - I am awake I am awake! Maybe that is where my fear comes from -

Thanks for clearing up the intubation issue. I think I watch too much ER LOL

SO they did your surgery even though you had a sinus infection?!?! I have a bit of a cough and tiny sniffle (DD is sick with a cold) and on my paperwork it says to call if you are sick in the days before your surgery - they cancelled my Grandma's hip surgery (although she is 87) due to a cold. So I was worrying about that too - do I Need to cancel if I have a tiny cold, etc.

Thank you again so much for all your posts - you are the first person I met on these boards and your concern and the information you have given me has been invaluable. Thanks again so much!! I am printing this out to read whenever I start freaking out.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Trust me, I am a real nervous nelly type. My whole life (I am 51), I have had anxiety. (chronic nail biter....just started back doing that a couple of months ago...lovely). Its a miracle I am not addicted to Valium or Xanax. I have them hanging around, but I am well aware of what taking them long term can do to a person. I just had a Dr. (the surgeon, actually)...prescribe 5 mg. of Valium everynight for 40 days. Forget it, I am not going to do it. I will just take them if the spasms get bad. Luckily they are really improving alot. When I go to NYC and DC next month, that will be a big test to see how those spasms do. Remember, I had those for 5yrs. before my surgery, so I am a hard core spasm case.
Give the surgeon's office a call and tell them you have the sniffles. I dont know what they will do, but DEFINITELY call them as soon as possible. And then if they say they want to go thru with the surgery...ask them for some Valium to get you thru till then!!!!!!! It wont hurt you and it will relax you alot. I have to do that everytime I get an MRI and man they are great. LOL.
I reread your posts. You really will be better from the surgery. It sounds like a 1 level, which everyone says is pretty darn easy. Mine was a 2 level. (and I didnt find it that bad, really).
You never told me your age. I would bet you are younger than me cos you have a small daughter, right? My kids are all in their 20s. (2 bio, and 2 step).
They dont allow us to give out phone numbers on this board, even privately. So I cant email you privately or call or anything. Otherwise I would call! Anyway, keep posting when you have to...nobody is judging you around here. I will keep checking the board.
From one Neurotic (a Jewish one. haha) to another,
Sue

Old 04-17-2007, 12:50 PM   #5
(female)

souffoue HB User

Thanks again Sue!!!

My rupture is C6-C7 (Don't know if that tells you what "level"??) The dr. never mentioned a "level" to me. I don't even have a copy of my MRI that I see other people posting.

I am 42 with a 7 year old DD. I've been real upbeat about all of it and haven't shown my fear to her. However, she is very anxious about me being in the hospital overnight. My grandma went in for surgery and had major complications and was in the hospital and a nursing home for 3 months - so all my DD knows is that you go in for surgery and don't come home for 3 months!

Some co-workers are taking me out to lunch today as I won't be at work tomorrow. Gotta run but I will post later. Thanks again for everything!!!!

Susan

Old 04-17-2007, 01:03 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Susan,
A "level" is just how they describe which disk they are referring to. For example..the vertabrae have names.......C1-C7. C1 is the highest and C7 is the lowest one in the neck. So your herniation is the disk that is in between the C6 and C7 vertabrae. That's a simple description.
Sue

Closed Thread