It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2007, 05:46 PM   #1
(female)

moonchaser HB User
Anyone with cervical neck problems ever get tingling in your feet?

I'm curious, for those of you who've gone all the way to the point of having surgery for relief. Did you get to the point where you started having tingling or numbness in your feet at all? And how fast did you notice your symptoms in general worsen? I have been battling the back and neck pain now for almost a year - I'm use to that. In December 06, I started with tingling/numbness/weakness in my left hand. By Feb 07, I've got facial cheek tingling and occasional right hand tingling too. All this while I'm seeking conservative treatment, mind you.

Now I've noticed an odd tingle in my feet at night or when I drive. It's mostly on the top of my feet and runs to my toes. I can't figure out if it's related to my walking on the treadmill and elliptical machines, a poor choice of gym shoes, or if it's simply just in my head. Surely I can't go for months and months with just the back and neck pain and then suddenly have all these neuro symptoms worsen and set in so fast, right? I did mention the feet thing to my doctor and she said she wants to keep an eye on it. Could I be overthinking my tinglings (for lack of a better word!)? My feet are both tingling at the moment, but I also finished a two mile slow walk on the treadmill 3 hours ago. Am I crazy?

Old 04-19-2007, 06:21 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User
Re: Anyone with cervical neck problems ever get tingling in your feet?

I never had any foot tingling, but your tinglings seem to be progressing kinda fast for one year. Remember my ordeal was a 5 yr. thing? Well my first symptom was in 2002 with a numbish/tingling hand. It went on for about 2 months and then a chiropractor adjusted me and it went away for a few years~! Well it came back in both hands this time in either 2004 or 2005, I forget. I most likely had tight muscles pressing on the nerves, initially.This 2nd time it never went away and I still have it after the ACDF. Please dont do what I did and let your symptoms go on for years on end because the likelihood of getting rid of those neurological symptoms is going to be MUCH lower and then you will kick yourself. I actually would have had the surgery sooner, but to be honest, it never occurred to me that there was a surgery for this until my physiatrist suggest sending me to a surgeon this past Nov. I did alot of Dr. changing, which of course prolongs the whole process. But I kept seeing idiot Drs. and wanting to move along. Its nice when you finally find a good medical team. IT AINT EASY!!!! By the way, I finally took it upon my self to get some wrist braces for when I sleep and now my hands will not contort to the position where they get numb, for the most part. At least I can get some sleep.

Last edited by SKZ; 04-19-2007 at 06:22 PM. Reason: typos

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2007, 06:28 PM   #3
(female)

moonchaser HB User

Thanks. I'm just trying to not overthink and draw stuff up in my mind. I don't want one little ache to be a "symptom". But honestly, the tingling in the feet that started last week scared me. Thus the post. Thanks again - I will be careful to not go too long.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Nerves are weird things. About a month ago, I got a recumbent exercise bike. About 2 weeks later, my butt started to vibrate like a cell phone (intermittant). OMG I was scared. It lasted about a week. Coincidentally, I wwas reading the bio of actress Teri Garr (who has MS), and wouldnt you know it....she said she had a vibrating symptom like a cell phone, too. I was trying not to panic. heeh. Then about a week later, MY HUSBAND got the same thing. Well it has to be the bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sitting on it must have caused it. His went away, too. So think of THAT one!~ We have gotten alot of mileage, joking about that!

Old 04-19-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
(female)

poopoopadoop HB User

I did have foot numbness/tingling in my foot before my ACDF c5-6 last week. It is there still, but just a little bit.
Lisa

Old 04-19-2007, 10:01 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

PearlDoves HB User

Yes it does happen!
I got so bad that my legs were giving out on me. If you have Myelopathy, it is bad news and very serious. If you have it, it my opnion/judgement that surgery is needed. I know werid things happen with those nerves getting impinged as well. For me it started out with heaviness and tingling if I remember correctly- down my arms and legs, mostly on the left side. Every week I could tell I was getting worse and worse. Search old posts on me from a few months ago, you should run across most of my story from talking about it in other peoples posts. Hopefully its just an easily resolvable aggitiated nerve in your case, but it probably be a good idea to give your doctor a call about this and let him/her know what is going on.

I don't want to freak you out, but I think its important for people to know just how werid this stuff can get: Weekness in the extremites is a big sign that thing are getting bad, people can start dropping things and may pass it off as being clumbsy. If you find that your legs are giving out or if you start finding that you can't "go" (bladder retention) or that you lose bladder control, you should get a hold of your doctor/ go to the ER. No joke.

Last edited by PearlDoves; 04-20-2007 at 02:37 PM.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:36 AM   #7
(female)

poopoopadoop HB User

I agree with PearlDOves. My hands were clumsy (dropping things) and I did have feet numbness/tingling. My mri showed spinal cord compression, edema, and myelopathy.

Lisa

Old 04-20-2007, 07:12 AM   #8
(female)

monarog HB User

Yes, for me it was and still is the bottoms of both my feet - tingle and feel numb. I am almost one month post op ACDF. I had cord compression too. My tingling waxes and wanes and I have it almost everywhere, no kidding. I am hopeful in time some of it will calm down. How recent is your last MRI? Things can change quickly, my original rupture was on the nerve root...6 months later it started flattening my cord - and ALL the crazy neuro symptoms started. I get discouraged and wonder if they'll ever go away. Since I'm only one month post op I am hoping time will be on my side...but, so far not a lot of change. Keep us posted on how things go for you. Mona

Old 04-23-2007, 10:38 AM   #9
(female)

Why Worry? HB User

I was just wondering the same thing actually. I hurt my neck last April studying then in September the sensation in my left arm felt weird. Now it's clearly weaker than my right, but then again i'm right handed. Anywho, I got an mri and it showed up fine. But then I recieved an EMG which I think showed fine too, except for when they stuck a needle in my muscle. Only then it showed nerve damage in my arm.
Except, he said it was healing and that damage had been done. I just was told this a week ago.. I got it in September.. soo maybe it IS healing just taking really long? ..

But yes, now all this weekend I am getting a weird similar sensation in my left leg. With tingling on my toes and cramping on my calves (both legs). Even my other arm feels weird.

My second physio therapist said that your neck cannot produce leg symptoms.. but I think it's all too coincedental that your neck hurts and then you start getting all these weird things.

Sooo I guess I'm in the same position as you. with neck pain and wierd sensations elsewhere... Hopefully it is not anything other than muscle compression, if that is a common cause?

Old 04-23-2007, 12:34 PM   #10
(female)

moonchaser HB User

Thank you everyone for your replies and information. So I don't think I'm crazy now. It's still minor tingling for me, but going through what I am with my neck and thoracic back area, I can't help but be on guard for other changes in my body too. I notice so much more now than I ever use to.

PearlDoves - You're not freaking me out. I appreciate the honest answer. I have had weakness in my hand for a while now. I am also clutzy, and have noticed how I drop stuff all the time too. I do not have any bowel or urinary problems to speak of, so that's a good thing. Should that change, I'll heed your advice immediately.

Mona - My last MRI was pretty recent - January 2007. I would hope not much has changed since then, but who knows?

WhyWorry - I hadn't thought of this til now, but you mentioned you also got cramping in your calf muscles. I have started getting charley horses in my leg at night for about a month now. Haven't had those for years, since I was a teenager. I wonder if that's tied in somehow, reacting to the nerves? Hmmm... Wish I had a medical degree.

Last edited by moonchaser; 04-23-2007 at 12:39 PM.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:48 PM   #11
(female)

Why Worry? HB User

haha I wish I had one too. So if I was diagnosed with something I could do my own research to try and find a cure.

But yeah, the muscle cramps are new to me somewhat. I never gotten them before my neck.

But you said you had an mri. Was that of your neck or your head to show lesions? I'm just wondering, because if it's of your head and it came back fine, and if I have the same symptoms as you... then I'd be glad to think we both don't have ms. And it's just our neck/back pinching nerves...(not that that's good either.. but.. )

What other tests have you got done and what has your doctor been saying?.. Like i said, mine said I would be healing. But I never really asked him if there could be other things. I called his office today but he's not back till next week. I think I'm going to follow up and tell him I'm getting these weird things now after the test.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:29 AM   #12
(female)

moonchaser HB User

My MRI was of my neck. It clearly shows protruding discs from C5-7, bone spurs, hypertrophy in the facet joints and moderate spinal stenosis. My dr believes that the combination of all these things is a strong contributor to my neuro symptoms and pain. She does not believe I have MS, Lupus or anything else of that nature. She doesn't suspect any lesions or tumors anywhere. I've asked. The most puzzling thing for her is my age - I'm only 38. She said she usually sees patients with my symptoms who are in their 50s and 60s. I'm way too young for this. I'm beginning to suspect it's hereditary in nature.

As for other tests, I haven't done a lot beyond the MRI and original x-rays. I did recently get the cervical epidural injection (that failed) and I'm sceduled for a second one on May 1.

Let me know what your doctor says about your weird symptoms. I'm very curious!

Last edited by HBMod07; 04-25-2007 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Please do not quote a message you are directly responding to, use quick reply instead.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:53 PM   #13
(female)

Clerklady HB User

Moon I am new to this board but I have the same neck problem as you do.
My toes are numb and when I sleep my knees go numb, ache so bad I have to get up and get moving, when I do the pins and needles kinda go away. My arms are the same way, but keep them moving. The epidurals did not work for me and I have not found a med yet for nerve damage that I can tolarate the side effects. All the dr's I saw said my disc would heal on there own, but so far they have not. I guess I'm still waiting....Taking meds for pain and spasms. But the most pain I have is down both sides of my back, some days it is hard to get moving because of it...But waiting for them to heal....Frustrating

Old 04-24-2007, 08:38 PM   #14
Veteran
(female)

jbsim HB Userjbsim HB User

Moon I have the same problems as you and Im only 35.. What causes all this at such a young age????

Old 04-25-2007, 06:47 AM   #15
(female)

monarog HB User

Okay...so I am older than you guys...45, my neck problems started at 43. But still, don't think I'm TOTALLY over the hill, ha! My doc says it can often run in families. I have 2 double-cousins (long story) both who have had neck problems and finally surgery. None of us had it caused by any injury that we know of. So, I'm blaming it on bad genes, ugh! Mona

Closed Thread