It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2007, 08:52 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User
Anti-inflammatories (and steroids) 15 weeks post op

Yesterday I posted about getting a steroid shot in my thigh due to bursitis (yet another bad thing that I got from falling on the ice. in 2000..neck included). I called the surgeon's office to ask if I could get the shot. They didnt get a chance to call me back in time for my other Dr. appt, so I didnt want to chance it and get the shot. They did call back yesterday and left a msg. on my machine saying that a steroid shot was fine and it was also fine to start taking IBUPROFEN now at 15 weeks post op. In my head, I was kind planning on waiting till 6 months out to start it again. Sometimes I get headaches that I would kill to take an Advil, though. I havent succumbed, but now I am wondering what all you guys were told about the NSAID thing and how long to wait post op?
Thanks.
Sue

Old 04-27-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: Anti-inflammatories (and steroids) 15 weeks post op

I was told no NSAIDs for 6 months post-surgery to make sure the fusion took. The fusion is somewhat of an inflammatory process itself and the thought is that NSAID can inhibit that natural inflammation and fusion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2007, 07:50 PM   #3
(female)

souffoue HB User

I wasn't told anything about NSAIDs post op????? Guess that will be a question for my dr. at my 4 week post op appt or I might actually call and ask him. I know I wasn't supposed to take any pre-op but nothing was said about post-op????

Old 04-27-2007, 08:01 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

Souffoue:
Its been a big discussion on this board...the issue of what all our surgeons say and dont say about taking them. Frankly, it really annoying these Drs. and what they dont tell people, that they SHOULD.

Old 04-28-2007, 08:53 AM   #5
(female)

monarog HB User

Souffoue...

Same, same here! I read all the time about everyone post-op that doc discharge orders are no NSAIDs. I think my discharge actually said after heavy pain meds were done to take Ibuprofen as needed. Anyway...I will have to ask at my next appt in about a month....in the mean time at 5 weeks post-op I am taking Ibuprofen as needed, go figure! Mona

Old 04-29-2007, 10:41 PM   #6
(female)

souffoue HB User

skz and mona -- strange indeed! I think I will email my dr. about it tomorrow. I have some other questions for him anyway. I don't know if I was just too out of it when he talked to me after the surgery or what but I just don't have a clear understanding of what my limitations are. They said I could drive when I was off the narcotics - I am just wondering (still taking the meds) but if I weren't - how would I drive in this hard aspen collar? I can't turn my head and I thought I wasn't supposed to turn my head right now????

I should probably do another post on what everyone else was told their limitations were/are! Would be interesting to see the difference in what Docs tell people.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:25 PM   #7
(female)

Lilacs&Lillies HB User

I was told no NSAIDs for a year. I couldn't hold off that long, but I did cut down. The lack of communication in the practice of neurosurgery sure is frustrating.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:46 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

captnanny HB User

I was not told how long to stay off the antiflammatory meds, but was told by surgeon, orthopaedist and pain management NOT to take them. In fact the nurse in the hospital told me that I could start taking them after two days and he got written up. They called the hospital immediately, I was still in the office to let them know about the nurse. I was told it could reverse the fusion.

Closed Thread