It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2007, 05:49 PM   #1
(female)

DELTA 22 HB User
How to sleep after ACDF

Hi all, I'm having 3 level ACDF may 30. I was wondering you who have been through this surgery could you give me some suggestion as how you slept after surgery once home.

Were you able to sleep in your beds or on sofa? Do I need to find a wedge pillow? Does anyone know where you purchase wedge pillows?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
(female)

poopoopadoop HB User
Re: How to sleep after ACDF

Hi,
I only had one level ACDF and was in an optional soft collar. I slept in the bed in my collar for a week or two post surg and then went to no collar.

Your surgeon will likely give you guidelines as well...
Good luck,
Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2007, 09:45 PM   #3
(female)

justme231 HB User

DELTA22,

Hi. Sorry for your pain. My husband had a two level ACDF on Jan 11th. He was in a hard collar for 5 weeks, and then a soft one for 6 weeks. After we returned home, he slept in a lazy-boy chair in a partially upright position for almost a month, as the hard collar made it very uncomfortable to sleep in bed, even with the wedge. Even after being switched to the soft collar, he sometimes opted to sleep in the chair....just depended on the night. His surgeon prescribed Valium to help him sleep, and I would suggest asking yours for something along that line. It really helped him through the first few weeks. Don't get freaked out, it might stink for a few weeks post-op, but it will get better every day, and I am sure that the inconvienience after surgery will be nothing compared to the pain you must be in right now. The wedge may work fine for you. If you want to try one, you can get the wedge at any durable medical supply (such as wright and phillipis). Good luck with your surgery, and keep us posted.

Last edited by justme231; 05-10-2007 at 09:46 PM.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
(female)

DELTA 22 HB User

THANKS!

Old 05-11-2007, 02:47 PM   #5
(male)

icejohnb HB User

Anyway you can!
I slept in the recliner for 8 hellish nights. Than, I just had to lay down. I would take all my evening meds, brush my teeth, than pray for sleep.
Sometimes though that wouldn't help. 5 or 6 weeks into it. I woke up separated from my collar. I tore it off in the middle of the night. I only did that once though. The duct tape held the velcro closed for the rest of the time.
I just gave up eventually! I knew the collar had to stay on. I started to walk 3-4 times a day. The NS figured out the Xanax dosage. The Xanax and the surrendering was what got me through.
9 months post-op and 80-85% fused!
Hooray,
Icejohn

Old 05-15-2007, 08:30 AM   #6
(female)

gia1 HB User

I had my surgery ACDF c6/c7 on May 7 and was home on the 10th. luckily we have a split head bed so I can raise my side. We also bought a 21/4 inch memory foam topper. So far it is somewhat tolerable but I'm sure the memory foam is doing wonders in comforming to my neck and shoulder alignment. It is the darn collar that is driving me nuts, I feel as though someone is pressing on the front of my throat and it is soo itchy.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:11 AM   #7
(female)

souffoue HB User

Good luck on your surgery!

I had my surgery (ACDF C6 - C7) 4/19 and went home 4/20. We don't have a recliner and didn't have the extra money to buy one. I slept sitting up on our couch the first two nights (well if you can call it sleeping) LOL Then I decided to try the bed. I basically slept (approx. an hour at a time) sitting up propped up with pillows and a neck pillow (you know the round ones??) behind my neck. I am in an aspen collar fyi. The sleeping hasn't been easy for me but it does improve a bit with each day that passes.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:01 AM   #8
(female)

gia1 HB User

Well today is 2 weeks post op and I am doing pretty well. Nearly off the meds and using tylenol extra strength. Most of my pain is shoulders and my hip when walking.
My family physician has prescribed ativan to help me get to sleep and it helps,and flexeril for muscle spasms but that just zonks me, also a soft lofty pillow that cradles my neck works okay.
Hope everyone is coming along fine. Good luck .
Hope your starting to sleep better souffoue.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:40 AM   #9
(female)

DELTA 22 HB User

Thank you all very much!

I dont have a recliner but I will make do with pillows on the sofa the best I can.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:55 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User

I had an ACDF at C5/6 3 years ago...no collar....but with plates and screws!!
I made a nest of pillows kind of like an upside down v...with a pillow across the top...it worked for me. My neck is pretty good...the surgery helped sooo much...and compared to the pain I had been in...well, lets just say it was worth it. I was off of meds. in less than 3 weeks...amazing!! But, you will have to baby it for a while...didn't lift anything for a few months..no vacuuming etc....Dr. said I could resume that stuff when I felt comfortable...geez...felt like saying how is never on the housework!! Wish you luck, and hopefully you will be painfree soon.

Sage

Old 05-28-2007, 06:23 PM   #11
(female)

gia1 HB User

Hey there Delta 22, 2 days to go, hang in there and don't forget to keep us posted. I'm 3 weeks post op today and feeling not too bad. I took a short walk today not too bad just a little pooped, so I took a 2 hour nap. Trying not to take any meds but just broke down and took a percocet.
Good Luck

Old 05-28-2007, 07:26 PM   #12
(female)

DELTA 22 HB User

Thank you gia1

I feel calm at the moment...just wish it was behind me already!

Old 05-30-2007, 06:51 AM   #13
(female)

gia1 HB User

Good Luck Delta 22

Old 06-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #14
(female)

debmul HB User

I'm scheduled for a one level ACDF next Thursday. Thanks for the info! I've been wondering how in the world I'll be able to stand the hard collar for 4 weeks (claustrophobic to a point) and how to sleep, especially in the collar.
Another question...how do you shower? With or without the darn collar? And when is a bath possible? I'm a bath person

Thanks again and best wishes to you all!

Old 06-05-2007, 09:33 AM   #15
(female)

gia1 HB User

Had my surgery May 7th, doing great, no pain, I just get a sore neck from being in the collar. I slept with a soft pillow above my shoulders and my head sank into it. I find it harder now because I am not on any meds and can't find a comfortable spot. On my side works best with my head supported, but I still toss and turn. I have my Aspen until June 27th, that will be 7 weeks post op before I see my NS. He is very busy. Hope waiting that long is a good thing not a bad thing.
Delta 22 give us an update.
Gloria

Closed Thread