It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007, 09:19 PM   #1
(male)

lrsoto2 HB User
MRI of the cervical spine

I just got done an mri of the neck and do not understand the lingo, please somebody translate.

Findings: On the saggital images, there is scattered fatty infiltration of marrow space at multiple levels. On sagittal images, mild diffuse decreassed disc signal at all levels. On sagittal images and axial images, mild spinal stenosis C4-C5 and C5-C6 level secondary to posterior osteophyte formation with mild cord distortion. Cord above and below these levels unremarkable. There are associated bony degenerative changes more posterolaterally with mild neural foraminal narrowing bilaterally at these two levels more so on the right than the left. Milder scattered bony hypertrophic changes noted remaining cervical levels. There are no areas to suggest herniated disc material.

My doctor said that I have nothing but I am in horrible pain, according to him it will go away. Please help it is after midnight and the pain does not let me sleep

Last edited by lrsoto2; 05-29-2007 at 10:13 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2007, 06:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: MRI of the cervical spine

i am just curious as to why your doc says nothing when you have actual cord distortion along with foraminal narrowing which both can cause alot of pain.not to mention the stenosis which in even "mild' cases,can also cause pain.what 'mild' or severe" actually is is very highly individual to who is doing that read.this is why you need the knowledge and expertise(and a second read of your films)of a good neurosurgeon.does he not understand what an MRI read is all about?i would higly suggest a trip to a good neurosurgeon in order to have this really evaluated by someone who actually knows whats up with the spine and the spinal cord involvement?hellooo?ask for a referral to one soon.your doc obviously is way out of the loop when it comes to what can actually cause pain within the spine.that distorted cord(it doesn't appear that cord is being affected by any herniation but the posterior osteos or "bone spurs" instead) also needs very thorough evaluation by a good neuro too.good luck and please keep me posted on what you find out,Marcia

Last edited by feelbad; 05-30-2007 at 06:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2007, 07:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

alex12 HB Useralex12 HB User

I would also have a C-Scan done to show how bad the spurs are ... my Neuro said the MRI doesn't show the Spurs as well as a C-Scan.
Just having bone spurs can cause lots of pain... You probably have some arthritis in your neck. When you turn your head do you hear little creaking, popping noises, like your neck is crunching??? Get a second opinion.

Alex

Old 05-30-2007, 08:31 AM   #4
(male)

lrsoto2 HB User

I will see a neurosurgeon in june they are full until then. I will let you know what the neurologist says, because I am good at police bussines not medicine. Thanks a lot, I just did not think that he was right, the pain, is constant and by God can keep me up at night.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:32 AM   #5
(male)

lrsoto2 HB User

I cant harldy turn my neck.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

My MRI said mild narrowing also, turned out after my CT I had moderately severe narrowing 6.5mm which is at least 1/2 of what it should be.....Posterior spurs really do not cause a issue but what is causing the distortion???? That is what I would worry about....yes for many not me, bulges do go away on their own and do not cause major issues unless they are centrally located and pinching the cord. I second a good NS.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:29 PM   #7
(male)

lrsoto2 HB User

Well I am at work moving lugagge and lifting I am in so much pain it is incredible but since I work for the federal goverment I have to follow protocol.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:21 PM   #8
(female)

neckhurtin HB User

////////////////////

Last edited by neckhurtin; 01-16-2008 at 10:27 PM.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:13 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

posterior spurs are what is most likely causing that distortion.and they can be a really HUGE issue only because they can directly affect the cord itself.any actual cord affectation can cause a host of major or minor problems depending on just what within that cord is being affected or compressed by those spurs.at this level you are dealing with spinal tracts and it can get really freaky and painful too,trust me on that one.that distortion really does need to be relieved only because the bone spurs will generally become bigger over time,in that particular area it could cause some huge problems eventually.myleomalacia can also result with direct compression for too long.Marcia

Closed Thread