It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2007, 03:20 PM   #1
(female)

Gavi112 HB User
Altered Sensations

I have a prolapsed disc at C5/6 with severe arthritis compressing my spinal cord plus I have problems all down my spine at thoracic level and lumbar with sciatica. I have never had the thoracic/lumber spine MRI'd.

The cervical spine problem gives me lots of altered sensations for example crawling feeling in my scalp/ prodding sensation in my temple/ severe tingling at base of neck into shoulder/ dragging feeling in face etc etc too many to list.

My lower back and thoracic problems have been revving up in last 6 months and I now cannot bend down because of lower back pain and at times my thoracic spine goes into spasm ( told it is facet joint on spine moving) and it is very painful to breathe or move for a few days.

Four months ago I found that every time I sat down or laid down in bed I got a severe feeling of pressure in a band around my waist down to my navel - not in slightest painful just like something very heavy is crawling around and poking me! If makes sleeping very difficult but as soon as I stand up it goes away entirely. Because I also seemed to have excess wind as well I have had bowel investigations as in sigmoidoscopy/ full abdo ultrasound/ lots of bloods/ occult blood test/ cealiac test and everything normal except for small gallstones that I have known about for 10 years but no compliations from these on scan or bloods.

Gastro Dr said IBS!

I have this pressure all day everyday whenever I sit or lay some days less obvious that others and I agree that I have sensitive bowel I have always had morning loose and even hard pellets and excess wind like IBS nothing bowel wise has changed in last 10 years until I got this extreme pressure.

Sorry for the long post but I am wondering if this sensation could be another one of the back generated altered sensations like I have in my head/neck??

I am seesawing between thinking its my bowel on day then next day its from my back as my back is so bad all the time. The other thing is that the sensation never moves from specific area!!!????

any thoughts or experiences??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2007, 04:14 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Chris54 HB User
Re: Altered Sensations

I would ask my doctor for referral for MRI of T-spine and L-spine area. You can then get his consult and go from there. I would also get new MRI of C-spine if over 6 months old. My sides of my abdomin area actually hurt sometimes from pinched nerves in my spinal area. This was outcome of lumber spinal fusion done in 2005. You know that you have a prolapsed disc in the C-area, What did the doctor suggest for this problem? Good luck and keep us up dated.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:40 PM   #3
(female)

Gavi112 HB User

Sorry for not replying sooner my broadband stopped working for two days.

Last had MRI of c spine 5 years ago and told unless I develop loss of function as in arms legs or bladder then don't operate because of the risk of paralysis - i other words wait until you would be paralysed anyway if you don't have an operation.

In UK the NHS is very slow and my GP is not keen on referring me to an orthorpeadic surgeon because he says my back is shot and not much can be done! plus I could wait 10 months to see a consultant then if they decide a MRI its another 5-6 months wait unless you can pay for the scans which cost about £700 each.

I might pay to see a very good neurosurgeon who i saw after my cspine MRI 5 years ago and ask for his opinion.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi,

I think you really should go for another opinion, and if at all possible, have at least your thoracic and maybe your lumbar spine MRI'd. I have had a few bouts of similar thoracic pain that only hurt while laying down on one side. It hurt on my spine in that area when I breathed. When I got up out of bed, I was extremely stiff, but it would all go away after a little while of walking around. However, i've not had all those other neurological symptoms from my mid back pains. I usually just have local pain/tenderness on certain vertebral areas and it comes & goes. I know I have spondylosis, ddd, and facet joint syndrome in my lumbar spine....and I sort of assume I might have some of the same in my thoracic, and maybe cervical areas. But my symptoms in those areas never last long and so I never bothered to have them checked. My lumbar spine was horrible, so that's what I had treated & had surgery on.

When you said you have severe arthritis compressing on your spinal cord, do you mean you have stenosis? (too much bony overgrowth that is jutting into your canal?) If so, that can really progress in many people and cause severe disability.....I know it happened to me in my lumbar spine. And alot more can develop in the 5 yrs since your last MRI. I think you really should consult that neurologist and see what you can do to check your current back status...

Closed Thread