It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Any experiences with Skelaxin? Other options?

I've used Flexeril before, but today was prescribed Skelaxin. I took one and so far it seems to work pretty well without making me overly lethargic. Just wondering what muscle relaxants others have used. Part of the reason....Skelazin was majorly expensive today so I'm wondering if there are better options.

Old 07-26-2007, 12:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User
Re: Any experiences with Skelaxin? Other options?

I didn't want something too strong cause I have to work so I was given Robaxin once, I asked for it again cause the Mobic alone doesn't work that well! You can take it like long term not like flexeril, I think. I read about the skelaxin, i guess you can take that long too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2007, 08:57 PM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I'll have to remember Robaxin as an option too. Yep, work interferes with my ability to take the Skelaxin at ideal intervals - but it does seem to be helping a bit.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

I was just given a script for Robaxin. Now when I took it last year, it didn't really work too good, but it was 500 mgs. Now I noticed i got 750 mgs. When I looked it up on the prescrip site I have, it only said it came in 750, so I guess it WASN'T working at that dosage for ANYBODY!!! A doc I went to said he could give me something stronger, but I couldn't work and take it, so he said take 4 Advil.I was taking a ****load of them a day, so I found out about Mobic, an anti-inflammatory, so I take that, once a day, altho my primary said I could take 2 a day. I hate taking too many things. Since I've been on my thyroid med, it seems like I'm taking more and more pills! I feel like an old lady!!I took none before all this!

Old 07-27-2007, 01:04 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Hello everyone,

I am on Mobic and Flexaril and my neck and shoulder pain just seems to get worse. I don't really know exactly what is causing the pain at this point.
All I know is that at the ER nothing was broken and then the PT guy said that I have many spots in my neck out of alignment and one that is really bad.
A have a friend who was taking the Skelaxin, but I think she stopped because it made her to tired. She is I think in her late 60's or early 70's.
Anyway I am interested to know more about what is working for others on this forum.
Thanks Chrissy

Old 07-27-2007, 04:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Chrissy, from what I've read on this board a chiropracter helped more than P.T.Sometimes it's worse! A customer of mine had to stop because the massage and ultrasound killed her. She found out she has a pinched nerve on her spine at C-7, she's on Oxy-Contin!! I've been going for 6 months and altho the pain is better, she is actually sending me to one. You just have to find a reputable one who does xrays or does gentle manipulation or uses a activator. I go to my first appointment(a consultation) Monday. How much Mobic do you take? Take care hon.
p.s. I read your other posts..listen to the others about a spine surgeon, mri etc... I went too long to P.T without an MRI, she tried everything but didn't know what was wrong really, they want you to exercise and gain strength, but I think that only works after operations, or just athritis or muscle pain.

Last edited by Bran'sNana; 07-27-2007 at 04:47 PM.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:02 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

I was going to PT since a month after my surgery, until July. (surgery was in Jan). I started laying off the neck and upper back exercises and I feel better. Forget it, I am not doing them anymore. Even the PT told me to lay off. I know that sounds kind of bad, but without fail, it aggravates things for me and I am sick of it. I am going to stop them and see how it goes. This is 5 yrs. of doing them and never feeling any better. Maybe I am one of these people that just cant do them. I do alot of other exercises for my lower back, stomach and legs. I DO stretch my pectoral muscles against a doorway because they are really shortened by the forward leaning stuff. I feel kind of bad not doing the neck stretches and the upper back strengthening. It makes sense that stretching and strengthing would be a good thing. But it just ruins me everytime.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:00 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

oh me too SKZ! Just cannot do those damn exercises. With me it has something to do with lifting something heavy or not even heavy. I did 2 pound weights last week, just some curls and tricep things and I was hurting for 3 days. I don't want my arms to get all flabby...what do we do? I do the door stretches too! Sometimes those hurt too. How about hold your arms behind you and grab your right hand(well the side that bothers you) and pull it down,like to bring your shoulder down. That helps me. I can do the neck ones usually. Like push your head in the pillow and tuck chin in. Also sit in a chair turn your neck to one side and tilt your head down.(anybody with neck probs please be careful, you might hurt yourself!)

Old 07-29-2007, 08:50 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

I cant do that one where you turn your head to the side and look down. I did for a longgggg time, but since I torque myself pulling luggage in May, my C4-5 is messed up and my shoulder blades hurt alot. That exercise really mades it feel tons worse. That doorway stretch for the pecs....here is another way of doing it where it bothers me MUCH less. I stand against a wall corner or doorway and hold one arm up against the doorway and hold my body at a right angle with that one arm up. The pull away from the doorway and it will give your pec a good stretch. That one seems to not hurt me like the doorway stretch with the 2 arms and the leaning forward.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:19 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Hi guys,

I take 15 mg's of the Mobic generic 1 time a day.

My symptoms are just getting worse! I also take flexeril as needed up to 3 times a day but I usually only take it 1 or 2 times. I should probly just take it the 3 times like it says.
Friday I had to get stronger stuff from my regualr doc. SO now I have Norco 10/325.

I first have to tell you guys that I am a recovering addict and Methamphetamines was my drug of choice. I have almost 3 years clean. Anyway I just had to detox off Methadone that I was taking for my work comp arm injury. I never abused it but still you taper and detox. I hate pain meds but I also hate pain.
I don't really like to have to take so much stuff.
I feel like the therapy is not helping. The last day I went was Thursday and I had to change that appt fom Fri to Thurs because I hurt os bad from Tuesdays appt.
I just don't know what to do.
SHould I be discussing this in some other area because this thread is about skelaxin.
Anyway I won't go on anymore except to say that I am uncomfortable and I don't know what is causing it...Chrissy

Old 07-29-2007, 04:33 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Chrissy, I replied to your other post about cancelling P.T.
SKZ..thanks for the exercise...I'll go try it after. The one where you pull your arm down, I forgot to add tilt your head to the left,if you're pulling right arm ,tilt to right if you're pulling left arm down. Maybe you can't do this either. I can't do wall pushups either,those are BAD!!

Closed Thread