HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Spinal Cord Disorders (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/spinal-cord-disorders/)
-   -   what to expect from acdf c5-c6?? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/spinal-cord-disorders/527036-what-expect-acdf-c5-c6.html)

NoDo 08-20-2007 05:50 PM

what to expect from acdf c5-c6??

so i finally seen the NS today and he is certain that i should have surgery. i was wondering what all i should expect from having the ACDF surgery. The NS said that it would be on my c5-c6 vertabre. currently i have no feeling in my right thumb, constant pain and stiffness and i get a shooting pain down into both of my hands almost daily. i really hope some good will come out of this. i did my research on the NS and i didnt read one bad thing about the guy. wish me luck. surgery is scheduled for September 10th.
thanks

poopoopadoop 08-20-2007 07:36 PM

Re: what to expect from acdf c5-c6??

Hi,
I think everyone's outcome is different, but for the most part pain [B]should [/B]subside after surgery. Numbness/tingling and nerve issues may or may not resolve.

For me, I am 4 months post-surg and my pain definitely is gone, except for some aching at times and a heavy feeling. I don't take any pain meds. The numbness/tingling in my left hand has somewhat improved, but is still there. I have regained some reflexes that were not present before surgery.

HTH,
Lisa :)
ACDF c5-6 (donor bone, plate, screws)

NoDo 08-21-2007 10:05 AM

what kind of recovery time did you have? how long until u were back doing normal things like working, excercing and so on?

thanks

poopoopadoop 08-21-2007 06:12 PM

Hi,
I took 3 wks off from work. That was a good amount of time for me. I drove 3 wks after as well. I did have a lot of pain initially, but after 2 wks that was a lot better. After 3 wks, I did feel well enough to work (no pain meds).
HTH,
Lisa

[QUOTE=NoDo;3167337]what kind of recovery time did you have? how long until u were back doing normal things like working, excercing and so on?

thanks[/QUOTE]

Sage48 08-22-2007 04:09 PM

Had an ACDF at C5/6 three yrs. ago, plate/screws/and spacer,....far lateral herniation...had neck/shoulder/upper/forearm/thumb and other pains.... The small muscles in my right hand had atrophy and I do have residual weakness on the right arm/hand. BUT, having this done was the best thing for me. The surgery was not too much fun....your throat does swell...so be prepared not to take large sips of fluids...drinking with a straw is a good thing. Also, eating is not too much of an option for a few days...soft stuff only. Once you get over that part of it...well, it aches/muscle spasm...actually, it was no worse than before surgery... I was up driving about 5 weeks....and off on a cruise ship at 6 weeks!!! Not too bad....it does ache..on occasion...especially if the weather turns..but not too bad...just mild arthritis...I was off all meds. by 3 weeks...except for an occasional med. every now and then when I overdid it. I do not baby myself...for this...(I fell almost 5 yrs. ago...hurt neck and lower back...which I am still trying to get sorted out..) I would do it again...hope this helps.

Sage

mcarr36 08-22-2007 09:19 PM

[QUOTE=NoDo;3167337]what kind of recovery time did you have? how long until u were back doing normal things like working, excercing and so on?

thanks[/QUOTE]

I was in a brace for a couple of weeks and driving at 5 weeks. Back to work at 6 weeks. No lifting anything over 10 lbs for a few months. I was able to start walking in a week (little by little) and that felt really good. Back to working out at two months with some restrictions. Good luck to you.

NoDo 08-23-2007 09:08 AM

God, i love this message forum!!! thanks to everyone for the heads up. i myself am the kind of person that doesnt like sitting around so im sure recovering is going to kill me. i just gotta make sure not to over do it. thanks for everyones info. im ready to get this done now i think. i cant stand another sleepless or drug induced night of sleep