It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007, 05:50 PM   #1
(male)

NoDo HB User
what to expect from acdf c5-c6??

so i finally seen the NS today and he is certain that i should have surgery. i was wondering what all i should expect from having the ACDF surgery. The NS said that it would be on my c5-c6 vertabre. currently i have no feeling in my right thumb, constant pain and stiffness and i get a shooting pain down into both of my hands almost daily. i really hope some good will come out of this. i did my research on the NS and i didnt read one bad thing about the guy. wish me luck. surgery is scheduled for September 10th.
thanks

Old 08-20-2007, 07:36 PM   #2
(female)

poopoopadoop HB User
Re: what to expect from acdf c5-c6??

Hi,
I think everyone's outcome is different, but for the most part pain should subside after surgery. Numbness/tingling and nerve issues may or may not resolve.

For me, I am 4 months post-surg and my pain definitely is gone, except for some aching at times and a heavy feeling. I don't take any pain meds. The numbness/tingling in my left hand has somewhat improved, but is still there. I have regained some reflexes that were not present before surgery.

HTH,
Lisa
ACDF c5-6 (donor bone, plate, screws)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2007, 10:05 AM   #3
(male)

NoDo HB User

what kind of recovery time did you have? how long until u were back doing normal things like working, excercing and so on?

thanks

Old 08-21-2007, 06:12 PM   #4
(female)

poopoopadoop HB User

Hi,
I took 3 wks off from work. That was a good amount of time for me. I drove 3 wks after as well. I did have a lot of pain initially, but after 2 wks that was a lot better. After 3 wks, I did feel well enough to work (no pain meds).
HTH,
Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDo View Post
what kind of recovery time did you have? how long until u were back doing normal things like working, excercing and so on?

thanks

Old 08-22-2007, 04:09 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User

Had an ACDF at C5/6 three yrs. ago, plate/screws/and spacer,....far lateral herniation...had neck/shoulder/upper/forearm/thumb and other pains.... The small muscles in my right hand had atrophy and I do have residual weakness on the right arm/hand. BUT, having this done was the best thing for me. The surgery was not too much fun....your throat does swell...so be prepared not to take large sips of fluids...drinking with a straw is a good thing. Also, eating is not too much of an option for a few days...soft stuff only. Once you get over that part of it...well, it aches/muscle spasm...actually, it was no worse than before surgery... I was up driving about 5 weeks....and off on a cruise ship at 6 weeks!!! Not too bad....it does ache..on occasion...especially if the weather turns..but not too bad...just mild arthritis...I was off all meds. by 3 weeks...except for an occasional med. every now and then when I overdid it. I do not baby myself...for this...(I fell almost 5 yrs. ago...hurt neck and lower back...which I am still trying to get sorted out..) I would do it again...hope this helps.

Sage

Old 08-22-2007, 09:19 PM   #6
(female)

mcarr36 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDo View Post

thanks
I was in a brace for a couple of weeks and driving at 5 weeks. Back to work at 6 weeks. No lifting anything over 10 lbs for a few months. I was able to start walking in a week (little by little) and that felt really good. Back to working out at two months with some restrictions. Good luck to you.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:08 AM   #7
(male)

NoDo HB User

God, i love this message forum!!! thanks to everyone for the heads up. i myself am the kind of person that doesnt like sitting around so im sure recovering is going to kill me. i just gotta make sure not to over do it. thanks for everyones info. im ready to get this done now i think. i cant stand another sleepless or drug induced night of sleep

Closed Thread