It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2007, 07:02 AM   #1
(male)

Ronn9 HB UserRonn9 HB User
Unhappy When theres nothing left, What do they do?

When you have had all the surgeries you can have, and you still have ALOT of pain and the Doctors are sick of seeing you, as much as you are of them, what do they do? or offer? what is the final step takin in this ongoing battle of "pain management" It isnt being managed its being trivialized by these doctors, Try this med , or heres a sample of this new stuff, or try this, it MIGHT help, I dont understand.... After all these damn surgeries.....the pain is if anything worse then befor , In different areas but still real bad, I dont want to live in pain my whole life, I am only 35 this is insane.........
SO, ok, Pain Management ?
Anyone care to share with me what exactly what that is supposed to intail?

Old 09-16-2007, 10:15 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
Re: When theres nothing left, What do they do?

Hello Ron,

I am only 37 and have been in chronic pain for 3 years!!! So many surgeries on my arm and now a new issue with my c-spine.

I was just in a place that was doable with pain concerning my arm and now the neck is out of control becasue of an accident.

I will be doing pain management again. Under your circumstances I think that if there is no more surgical intervention that can be done then other things can be tried such as accupuncture and massage therapy. Maybe it will not take the pain away completely but give some relief while your recieving it.

I can manage with a pain level of about 5-6 but it is when it is spiking all the time and in the 7-10 range that I just can't function.

I feel for you...really I do!!! At some point I am willing to accept a life pain level of 5-6 but beyone that I don't know. I am already complaining on a daily basis.

Pain really screws with our emotions and psychie!! It is a tough one to work on and I have been doing it for a while now. I am in the midst of and icky phase and I sure it will pass and I will be ok for a while and then the tiem will come again where I am unaccepting of things being the way they are. I go back and forth that way.

Well I don't know if this has helped you and I have probly rambled on enough so I will send an angel and a cyber hug out your way.... Chrissy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2007, 10:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Backinthesaddle HB User

I envy those who are able to have a day of relief from pain, not sure anymore what that is like. I do have moments, sometimes minutes and boy if I am having a awesome day I even have hours of what feels like no pain. which is really just a lower pain level. I ask that same question as you see I asked something much like that on a thread today.

As for doctors, I just don't seem them. I see little use. I see my Pain doctor every three months for meds and that is all. He does nothing for me other then that. My workers comp has denied everything he has offered for me so he just gave up offering. Stinks. I really do not know what to do since I do not believe my insurance will cover anything. I cannot afford the out of pocket for treatment. So I take pills.

My plight started when I was 38 with my first injury followed by surgery in 2003 then I had my second injury in 2004 followed by surgery in 2005. I had complete pain relief after my first surgery and happily lived on for about 18 months. My second injury also workers comp left me with most of the pain I have now from a compressed spinal cord 18 mo and unfortunately the spine is like an elephant and remembers the pain and refuses to forget it. So I will likely never see pain relief. I am hoping that when I retire which may be sooner then later I will have more relief since I will not be tied to a schedule. I know I do feel better on my days off.

So RK I think it is just accepting the pain is there for life is the first step. Then do anything you can to stay in shape. It does help keeping our muscles strong. Then it is finding the right combo of medication that makes the 8-10 pain go to a 4-5 range that is more liveable. Realize that it is only moments of relief that make us wish for hours and days. I think we just get used to the pain and our tollerance gets higher and higher where once we thought we were going to die in pain we will just go on like it is another day.

What choice do we have?

Old 09-16-2007, 01:40 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

julyg HB Userjulyg HB User

I remember sitting in the waiting room of a pain mgmnt dr 16 months ago hoping to get an epidural appt (I did) and I looked at the guy sitting next to me and asked him what he was there for and he said an epidural. He was 5 months post ACDF surgery and still in agony. I thought to myself "wow he must have had a really bad Dr. for surgery". And right then and there I vowed I was going to best surgeon and hospital if I needed surgery. And I did, and you know I am going to be looking for that same epidural soon

Old 09-16-2007, 04:03 PM   #5
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by julyg View Post
I remember sitting in the waiting room of a pain mgmnt dr 16 months ago hoping to get an epidural appt (I did) and I looked at the guy sitting next to me and asked him what he was there for and he said an epidural. He was 5 months post ACDF surgery and still in agony. I thought to myself "wow he must have had a really bad Dr. for surgery". And right then and there I vowed I was going to best surgeon and hospital if I needed surgery. And I did, and you know I am going to be looking for that same epidural soon
We just cant win ......

Old 09-17-2007, 03:01 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

When they look you in the eye and say there is nothing more structurally to do unless you are willing to try more risky procedures and endure more surgeries - with no guarantee, it is almost a relief to be "released" to pain management. Instead of continuing to get excited that I might be cured. lol

I also found that when we had that last discussion, "this is your new life - get used to it", I had to finally come to grips that there was no going back to the old me. Once I mentally got there, after going through the anger, anxiety, depression, and tons of crying jags, I have found a new peace. The pain isn't gone, but I think I am dealing better now.

It doesn't mean I have stopped looking for a solution, but I am not doing it with so much desperation. In doing so I also found I am enjoying the life that I have now, instead of mourning what I don't have.

And then, once I accepted it, I found a really good PM doc and he has taken the quest to try to find some positive solutions and is also running down the OS, NS and everyone on my behalf.

You have been through a lot, there is a limit to what they can do. Hopefully, you will continue to improve, it is still early.

Last edited by PNo; 09-17-2007 at 06:14 PM.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:01 PM   #7
(male)

I know, patient, I just have no patience for this crap anymore, its been almost four yrs now..... Very frustrating, I am an italian pollock who doesnt deal well with being told I cant this, or I cant that, ya know?...lol

Old 09-18-2007, 01:40 PM   #8
(male)

Went back to Dr`s. today going back next week to for MRI . Dr. insists everything looks good, He doesnt know why I`m in pain. If he really thought that why would he be wanting me to get a MRI?
Anyways, so here we go again.......

Closed Thread