It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2007, 04:57 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Getting whopper headaches on the left side

Great I have been getting nasty headaches (something like a migraine) on the left side on & off, this past week I have been getting them more, just in time for christmas, I can feel it coming from the neck area, wonder if it could be coming from what the doc. believes is a shoulder problem. It hurts like crazy & I have noticed with these headaches unlike the regular pain nothing seems to help them much, very sharp stabbing pain going up to top & behind eye on the left side. I just can't believe this is all happening with christmas around the corner. I swear I am beginning to hate getting out of bed (ha). I believe the headaches are linked to the rest of all this other pain. I truely hope eve3rything is worse because I am on my monthly so when I am finished hopefully the pain will be more controllabe. I have figured out for sure that when that time of the month comes that is when I get the numbness & tingling down my left hip & leg, no doudt now, I have been keeping track. I hope this all gets better before christmas, I have been so looking forward to it. Thanks for letting me vent. Sammy

Old 12-19-2007, 08:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Getting whopper headaches on the left side

don't have alot of time right now ,sorry sam.just wanted to mention a med that could help for your headaches?if these are in any way a vascular type of headache,try using midrin?it is a vasoconstrictor and has been the only thing that actually helps my migrane headaches or any other more vascular type head pain i keep getting.it would be worth a try anyways.you just take two pills at the onset and one every hour after til the head pain is pretty much gone or really lessend down to just a bit annoying.this one med saved my butt from agony i had been living with from the migranes that started when i was only 13.it came out when i was 21.very long wait for relief there let me tell ya.but i have been on this med now since 1981 and it works every time.if what you are feeling is some type of pounding and pressure inside your head,chances are they are vascular in nature and midrin would pssibly work for you.i would at least give this a shot anyways.gotta fly now hon.keep ice packs handy,they help alot when placed under your neck with another right over the pain area.lived like that for many years.let me know how things go sammy.Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2007, 09:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Was on midrin years ago, I know this is all linked to the one thing, thank god back to docs on christmas eve morning! This is all driving me crazy. Thanks so much for all your input, seems we have lots of common pain issues, lucky us (ha)! Sammy

Old 12-20-2007, 08:05 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

Had to jump in and say hello, and sorry to hear you now hav another problem to cope with. I get the headaches, but mine is a sort of squeezing type thing at the base of my skull, sometimes with shooting pains also. I know I can blame mine on the disc problem with my neck, though. You know that saying "this bone is connected to that bone, etc.", well, I think that is how it is with our pain, also. One thing hurts and it just moves all over the place. I am anxiously awaiting your appointment on Christmas Eve morn., to see what they say, so let us know asap!

Thinking of you,
Judy

Old 12-21-2007, 05:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

chab, went for MRI, oh my gosh, did not think I would make it. My scapula was on fire mid way through the test, then mucsle spasm So of course I moved & they had to repeat part of the test. My poor daughter, she took me, & on the way home I thought I was going to throw up, well we were in her car (ha). Needless to say by the time I walked through the door I had a headache starting. I was up at 1:45 with a raging headache, pinching, squeezing, pain that went up the neck to the left side & behind the eye & right at the temple, before long it was encompassing the whole head & throbbing, even my ear hurt. Nothing helps much with those things, anything help with yours? Honestly I don't think I can take much more. I am praying they find something in this MRI, it would explain these headaches. I plan on spending most of the weekend relaxing on ice, in hopes that if I take it easy I will have agood Christmas. I just don't get why it has gotten so out of control lately. I will admitt I am getting worried, anything this painful has to be something going on in there. Thanks for caring, Sammy

Old 12-21-2007, 07:24 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

did they get that actual shoulder MRIed finally?god i hope so.hang in there hon.Marcia

Old 12-21-2007, 06:09 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

Sammy, I sure am glad you did make it through the MRI, even though it was pure agony for you. I am going to have my 2nd MRI (neck and upper back), and I am going to go to the first place I had my lumbar MRI done, as it is the open MRI and not nearly as bad as the closed ones. After going through such a bad time, no wonder you felt like your were going to throw up, you poor gal. I noticed I get the funny headaches a lot when I am stressed out. I have them at times when I am ok, but more painful when my back is really hurting or when things around here are hectic. But, I read on another post of yours that you were bothered by headaches in the past, so it is hard to say what yours are from. Yes, you do sound like things are escalating with you instead of getting better. It does make you almost wish that they do find something in the MRI; then at least you would have an answer.

I take an ibuprofin, or a Voltaren (anti-inflammatory med), and then grab that good old ice and put it on my neck. Or, it it is real bad, I rub some Ben-Gay or similiar stuff on my neck, which does help relieve the headache. My do gave me some headache meds a long time ago before I found out about my neck problems, but it didn't do anything for me.

I may not be on here again till after the holidays; my son will be in tomorrow from South Carolina, and he keeps us busy. So, Merry Chiristmas to you and family, and I hope the New Year will bring you some answers so you can solve your problem and you can get on to a happy life. Hope Christmas is good for you.....Relax and enjoy it!

Judy

Old 12-22-2007, 05:17 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Chab, I know that what ever is going on in this body of mine is bringing on these headaches, funny thing that is why I could not go to PT is because it was triggering these same headches. so pretty darn sure it is all linked. I just can't wait to get to the bottem of it all. One of my sister in laws scared the heck out of me she was saying that I might end up at the surgeons & he may not do exploratory surgery but (which is what I am hoping for if not enough shows up in this next MRI) but just say it is inconclusive. I told her no way they can't just leave me in this kind of pain. My Rehab. doc knows what kind of pain I am in I just don't think he would just leave it alone. That had me so upset.
Hope you have great holidays, enjoy your visit with your son.

Marcia, this MRI was on the Brachial Plexus, he said he wanted to see if it was pressing on an artery. The shoulder MRI I had in the past showed tendonitis but that he believes is secondary & is being caused by what ever else is going on, that is why I put up the post about the test being reliable, I cant help but wonder if there is alot more going on in that shoulder that the MRI did not pick up. I ran into a guy at the store yesturday who was telling me he had a torn rotater cuff, said his chest area really hurt & so forth, also said even after surgery & Pt is still is not the same. Odd ever since laying on that table for that MRI my scapula & shoulder have been really bothering me. I am sure it will calm down but I am surprised. I started trying the topical Capzasin HP for arthritis I think it may have given me alittle relief so I will put it on again today & see. I have so many topical solutions it is starting to look like a pharmacy (ha). I took monday off work so I can relax after the doctors. Talk to you soon, Sammy
Ps. My daughter did remind me when she had knee surgery they found more going on in there then what the MRI indicated. Go figure.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:12 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

Sammy, I was talking to my sister in law about the pain and burning I have in my right side, and she said I should go have exploratory surgery.....but, if all the tests do end up showing nothing, my question would be: Will a doctor do exploratory surgery when he has no idea what he is looking for? It just seems to me that a doctor might not agree to do that unless there is a really suspecious area showing on an MRI, but he can't figure out what it is. Know what I mean?? And, actually, I am not too sure I would want to go through a surgery if nothing specific shows up...too scary for me. But, with all the pain and agony you have been in, you might feel different. Just my thoughts.

Judy

Old 12-29-2007, 06:14 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Chab, how ironic you mention that, My husband asked the rehab doc about that & he put it quit well, first they must have something to go by, so something must give them cause in one of the tests, also the insurance co. has to have are reason for surgery or it will not be covered. More important is that he said be careful some people think they could not get any worse & after surgery they find out indeed they can. Now I did go to the ortho. surgeon last evening (bare with me, I can't remember all he said because of all the movement he did with me I was in some pain) but there are some problems in the shoulder that are on the MRI, although the c- spine showed problems in another test besides the MRI it is not bad enough for surgery, I know in the future I am going to have problems with my neck. Now the shoulder has a couple things going on, chronic tendonitis & bursitis. Fluid showed up in a loction, can't remember where, neither can my husband, very frustrating, that is where the tape recorder would have come in handy. I received an injection into an area & if the injection gave me relief then I become a canadate for surgery, which it did. It did not work like he thought though. I did not get immediate relief & not full relief, alot like my recation to the cortisone injections. So even after surgery there is only a 70% success rate & I very well may still have discomfort because the injection did not relieve all the pain, the injection is used as a diagnostic test, if no relief was to be had then the surgery could not be done. I swear I always react different then others, I never have an a typical reaction or for that matter problem. The sugery is called decompression surgery & sounds painful, they will scrape the bone to make room for the tendons & so forth along with anything else they find. The surgeon said he would also look around while he was in there & fix any other problems he saw. Which there very well could be because of the pattern of my pain. So I can't help but wonder if I have been is so much pain because of the combination of the neck & shoulder area. I am nervous because on one hand it will be sort of an exploratory surgery & he can't be sure how well I will do because of the symptoms, I don't want to come out still in all this pain along with the surgery pain, but my husband & I discussed it & feel I really have no choice. It is strange to meet a dcotor one time & then just allow him to do surgery on you. I am not sure how I felt about him. I was to busy trying to control the pain from the exam. I have to call this week & let them know if I want to go ahead with the surgery. I at least want to talk to my rehab doc first, at least I know him. Darn why can't I just have been an easy diagnosis at least I would have felt more confident. that is where I stand for now, I will be investigating this of course. I have to tell you after hearing abit about exploratory surgery I would have to be in some major pain if I were you, I am at this point, but I sure don't want to get worse & would not want anyone else to risk that either. This doc. said he wont ever do surgery until he has seen how this injection works. Let me know what you think about all this, also he does believe alot of the pain is secondary, such as the rib & chest pain.. I hope so. Thanks for thinking of me, appeciate it more then I can say. Sammy

Old 12-30-2007, 05:28 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Hi Sammy,

Wow you finally have some kind of answers and some kind of direction.

This has been such a long and asonizing road for you.

I understand that it seems weird that you only have seen the surgeon one time and he says "surgery" but your rehab doc has done his work!! He expedited all those tests and therefor when you got to see the surgeon all the pieces were already in place for him.

I have heard that bursitis is very painful. From what you describe about the decompression it sounds as though there is a compressed nerve in your shoulder. Had had 2 different decompression surgeries one in the hand and wrist and one in my elbow. I wonder which nerve is compressed. The ulnar nerve goes from the pinky side of your arm all the way up into the neck so wonder if it can get compressed there.

Who know girl!!! Well I really hope that this will work out for you. Right now with my upcoming surgery if I could have 20-50% less pain than I have now on a daily basis I could live with that!!

Please let me know what you decide and when your surgery will be. When do you see the rehab doc again?
Hang in there friend of mine...you'll get there!

Chrissy

Old 12-30-2007, 07:10 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Chrissy, I wish I could have paid more attention to what he was saying but I was into to much pain. I know he is focused on the tendons & bursa,Primarly the tendons. I know it is effecting a nerve because the rehab doc said he believes the headaches are being caused from one of the nerves that runs along the neck up around/behind the eye, if I remember I will ask the rehab doc. I guess after all this I am not to trusting of docs. I just expected him to at least order the notes from the rehab. doc. & the rehab doc firmly believed it was much more going on in there then the bursitis/tendonitis. Like the surgeon said he will look when he is in there, he even suggested there may be something else going on in there. I want to make sure I am going for the right surgery, all of it makes me alittle nervous. I really don't feel I have much of a choice, I believe the rotater cuff is really being effected & from the little bit I read yesturday the longer it is let go the worse it will get with tears and all & god knows this has been going on for along time now. As I said to my husband it is strange to meet a docter one time & then let him do surgery, at least for me, & the office he works out of is always packed you wait forever while you are there, I wish more docters would take their time with you. I guess if one of these docs were to say we know for sure this is what is causing all of this I would feel better but that has not been the case. So we will see, I am hoping the rehab doc. will explain alittle better, he will be honest in his opinion I know that. I am not at this point expecting all of the problems to go away because the injection did not take all of the pain away, but like you said even less pain would be great. Thanks for reminding me. Talk to you soon, Sammy

Last edited by sammyo1; 12-30-2007 at 07:13 AM.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:21 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Sammy,

The surgeon that you saw did not have any of the rehab docs notes?

He must have had the results of your tests.

You can always try to tough it out a little longer and have a second opinion. Maybe you could call the rehab doc and see if they would be able to have him call you back at the end of his day or something so you do not have to wait till your next appointmnet. When is your next appointment with rehab doc??
Have you done any research on the surgery? You may want to research the shoulder bursitis on line or in the library.

Sammy you have made it this far and you are almost there. Keep your chin up and dont forget to pray about it.

I know this is really wearing you down, but your a tough woman and I know you can do this whatever decision that you decide.

I am having a rough morning this morning and I am supposed to meet with my 12 step sponsor today. I would much rather lay on my couch and read and do nothing. I have to drive to the PM's early tomorrow morning. Mountain road but a very beautiful drive.

Chrissy

Old 12-31-2007, 07:05 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Chrissy, the surgeon did have the MRI's that he viewed. I guess I may be alittle paranoid but you would think he would want to know how many cortisone injections were tried & pt notes & all, I am just assuming that a surgeon would want to double check all this, he did say after 6 months of continous pain with all methods used with no relief is grounds for surgery & the condition is then chronic. He is not so focused on the bursa but the tendons along with the bursa, but I believe the tendons are what was apparent in the MRI. Yet the rehab doc made it clear that alone is not causing all this pain. Gets confusing to hear conflicting opinions. The surgeons assistant did tell me that chronic Tendonitis/burstis can be excruciating. After researching & hearing some stories of people with shoulder problems that I believe there is also a problem with the rotator cuff.
I have more symptoms of rotator cuff damage/injury then anything else. It will be interesting to see. My rehab. doc did warn me to be careful that surgery can make matters worse but like I said I just don't have a choice, I am in so much pain that my driving is limited to a few miles or I am in agony. My primary's office recommended this surgeon so I am trying to have some faith. He just did not seem totally convinced & did not have a whole lot of compassion considering how the exam went, my gosh was it painful, but I guess they become callous after while.
The fact that he will explore the area while he is in there is the reason I feel I have to go through with it. My rehab. appointment is next monday & I know he will be point blank honest with me. I am anxious to talk to him. We will see what he says. Thanks Sammy

Old 01-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

Hi Sammy, Sorry it took me so long to read your post; been sick with the flu! From what I read, it does sound like the surgeon has hit upon what is causing your pain. Yes, tendonitus and bursitus are both very painful; had a neighbor that went through that. He had an operation and is fine today, but I can't remember what all they did. The thing is, I think these kinds of problems are tricky, and I don't think there is any surgeon that can honestly predict what the outcome will be. I don't want to discourage you or scare you, but with all those muscles involved, I think it would be hard to say whether you will be totally pain free or not. But, with all the agony you have had, and not being able to drive or function well, I would say it is time to let them go in there and look......and fix! Yes, it is scary, but I would say that your surgeon will not do anything he thinks would harm you further. Even if you can get to being 80% free of that pain, that would be a blessing, as I know you have suffered greatly.

I know what you mean about just meeting a surgeon and then thinking he is gong to operate on you! But, I am sure he has performed many operations, and if your PR doc recommended him, he must be good. It would be good to talk to your rehab guy and get his opinion. It is a tough decision your facing, and I know how hard it is for you. After all the shots, rehab, etc. you have had, most doctors will say an operation is the next step. My surgeon told me that concerning my back and neck problems. If your not confident about doing this, a second opinion might help ease your mind.

I wish you well in whatever you decide, and keep us posted. At least now you do have an idea as to the cause...finally!! I am just wishing all goes well and you will end up pain free soon.

Best Wishes
Judy

Closed Thread