It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2007, 05:42 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User
So much pain today! Can't turn my head to the right!!! Help have a ???

Hi everyone,

I just got home yesterday from being at my parents ranch for the last 6 days.

Sleeping in a strange bed was awful.

My question is should I call my neuro and tell him that the pain is getting worse on the right side of my neck? I mainly have complained about left side issues but he has always asked about the right..."Are you sure you don't have any problems on the right?"
I actually had some arm weakness over there yesterday and I have never experienced that on the right side. It was not as intense as the left side but it is there. I have also been having some slight radiating pain now on the right.

I am scheduled to have surgery on January the 8th. I am having a Posterior Cervical Formainotomy at 2 levels for sure and possibly 3. I will not see the surgeon until then. I only have an appointment at the hospital to go have my blood work done and an EKG.

I am just not sure if I should call or not. Maybe it will go away and it is just from sleeping in the strange bed for a week.
I have always had some light pinching on that side but not really to this degree.

Anyway I hope everyone had a good holiday!!

Chrissy

Old 12-26-2007, 07:54 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: So much pain today! Can't turn my head to the right!!! Help have a ???

You may want to wait a day or so (to see if the pain lasts) and then call the doctor - tell his staff that you'll be having surgery on the 8th and have an additional issue that arrose - you want to be sure he's aware before surgery in case it changes the surgical plan at all.

I do occasionally have right sided pain (where the majority has always been left). But the pain on the right is fleeting. It happens only every so often and doesn't last more than a few hours. That being said if I go back to my surgeon soon I'll be letting him know just in case.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2007, 11:35 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

Happy Holidays Chrissy! Most likely you traveled a little further, maybe lifted your bags, slept in a different bed, sat up and moved around even more than usual. Our bodies do not tolerate all that very well. Take care of yourself the next two weeks, eat and sleep well and drink lots of water. Your surgery date will be here before your know it.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:46 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Good Morning!

Thanks for your replies.

I am still feeling the same. I just can not seem to get a good night sleep!

I toss and turn and can't get comfy. I keep waking up sweaty to the point I gotta change my pj's. I then am very cold and uncomfortable.

The weather is very cold here. It was about 10 degrees last night and won't be above 32 today with possible snow.

It seems like the only time I am comfortable is when I am on the couch with a heating pad.

I just feel like my meds are not working enough. I am considering calling the PM to see if I may see him any sooner than next week. I am also very very concerned about adequate pain control after the surgery.

And yes the days are passing by quickly. I have so many things that need to get done before the surgery.

I am sure that I need a 12 step meeting and will go to one today. Have not been since I was out of town. YIKES need to get grounded.

More or less I just feel very anxious and ready to get this done.

This morning I will see my chiro and they will do massage therapy and ultrasound, I may ask for some e-stim today and see if that will divert this pain.

Please everyone I am trying hard to keep it together here....but I am just so uncomfortable. The fact that I am not moving around is driving me nuts....

Thanks for listening
Chrissy

Old 12-27-2007, 05:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Chrissy, Oh my, I am so sorry more issues. I hope it does indeed go away. It is very possable being out of your own element & routine you did something your not even aware of, but just in case I would definantly let your doc. know. You have no way of knowing whether it is important info. to him or not, but being this close to surgery I would let him know. I know when I stayed at my sisters all it took was sleeping in a bed that was totally uncomfortable & different I was in agony the next day, pehaps even sleeping at at odd angle, you know something done in your sleep, but still surgery this close would not want to over look something. I hope you feel better, take it easy. Sammy

Old 12-27-2007, 09:16 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Hey Sammy!!

I actually have HAD IT!!! I just can not take much more.

I called the neuros office and requested a pre-op appointment. I also called my PM and asked to be seen sooner than next thurs.

So I will see the Neuro tomorrow afternoon at 2 pm and the PM on Monday morn.

I just seem to be generally uncomfortable all the time. I was up and out of bed at 4 this morning and hurting pretty good. I took a pain med and it did not help after a 1/2 hour and I took another one with a muscle relaxer. I felt a little better so I took a lon long hot shower and went to the w*l-M**t and did some shopping and the entire time I could not take deep breaths. I figured I better get it done early when there is not as many people in there to maneuver a cart around.

I sometimes just don't know if it is better to move or not move because both bring me more pain. I have not slept well for over a week.

I am supposed to go to the Chiropractor this morning but I am even leary of that today but I just don't do not know what else to do.

I gotta run and do another errand before the chiro so I will se you later.
Chrissy

Old 12-27-2007, 09:33 AM   #7
(male)

acaptainn HB User

Hey Chrissy im having surgery on the 8th as well, mine is anterior and c6,7 w/hardware, Goodluck ,and hope u feel btr soon !

Old 12-27-2007, 01:02 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Good Luck to you to....Acaptain
I saw you had a post else where so I will chime in there!!

Old 01-04-2008, 06:16 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

Chrissy, just found your post here and wanted to jump in and wish you well in your upcoming surgery. I hope you are feeling better with that neck pain. You sound like me jumping up in the middle of the night sweating and changing nightclothes. I think that pain brings that on. A very hard part about having surgery is waiting for the day to come, and I am sure your nerves are a wreck counting down those days. Hang in there and hope everything goes well for you. My very best wishes and prayers to you.

Judy

Old 01-05-2008, 06:02 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Hey Chablis,

I am counting down those days...lol

Only 72 hours and I will be at the hospital checking in!!!

An update on how I am feeling.

Well I can turn my head some now. I had to trips to the chiro-no adj-but massage and ultrasound therapies. I felt better for a day and then the cold weather came back.

I can turn my head which is a huge improvement and I can get the pain down to a 7 which is a good thing. Still having periods of a few hours at a time that it is spiked to a 9-10.

The snow has arrived in the west. Love it. So beaustiful. It is doing me a favor and I am staying at home. I have no gusiness driving around with my neck. To risky!!! I already have anxiety driving since my accident, and I can what driving in the snow would do.

I got everthing done I needed to get done to prepare for being at home due to weather and for preperation for surgery.
I decided that I would just mail my bills in and save myself some driving. I got the big grocery shopping done and some of the house cleaned. What ever is left is left. I just am not doing anymore.

It is time to just stick close tohome and rest! I might put my boots on and venture outside to take a few photos around the house.
It is soooo beautiful...we have about 7 inches of snow on the valley floor in my area and we are expecting 7-10 more in the next 24-36 hours. In the mountains around my house they have recieved over 5-10 feet in some areas.

So I will rest read watch TV surf the net and watch the snow fly.

I have been working on my anxiety level about the upcoming surgery and I am much more relaxed since I got all the chores done.

I am very optimistic about the surgery and I just can not wait for the day because I feel that I will be moving in the direction of recovery!!!!

Well thanks everyone!!!
I will check back soon and have a great day.....

In Spirit....Chrissy

Old 01-05-2008, 06:48 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Getting close to that time. How long in the hospital for you? It will be over before you know it. How long recovery? Counting down right along with you. Sammy

Old 01-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

Chrissy, so glad that your neck is feeling better; now you have to get the rest of you better, also. Oh, I wish I could be there with you to see that snow. I absolutely love it, too, and just like to see it come down and pile up. It does make the world look beautiful. Hey, that might be a good omen for you...God is sending you something beautiful and peaceful to see before your surgery; means he is watching over you!!

You seem to have a great attitude about the surgery, and that is good...it will make things go so much better for you. Hope you can relax and watch that wonderful snow, think good thoughts, and know that we all are sending our thoughts and prayers. If I don't get on here before you go, my very best wishes to you and you are in my thoughts, for sure.

Love and prayers,
Judy

PS...Wish it would snow in Delaware; I'm jealous!

Closed Thread