It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2008, 07:45 PM   #1
(male)

braveneck HB User
Can computer use be tied to serious neck problems?

I have had serious neck problems for many years; stenosis, bad discs, bone spurs, etc.
At any rate, I have been reading about the connection between such problems and computer use. I should have thought of it earlier. There is no history of cervical problems in my family.
I wonder...should I throw this thing out the window?

Old 01-12-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

maybecrazy HB User
Re: Can computer use be tied to serious neck problems?

Hi Braveneck,

before you chuck the pc out of the window (which may hurt your back ha ha) ) think about your psoture at the PC - a lot of people slump down in their seats and hunch their shoulders over when they are at the computer - make sure you are sitting up with your lower back firmly supported and your chair adjusted to the right height. Make sure that you are not leaning forward over the keyboard as this puts a strain on your neck and shoulders -
Change your focus every now and then and look away from the screen to prevent tired eyes and get up and walk around every now and then to help the blood flow in your legs. (get a coffee or a juice! that'll keep you hydrated at the same time.

The final thing is don't cross your legs under your chair or in front of you as that can diminish the blood flow in your legs.

and yes as you can see from the above I have worked with computers for many many years and have no neck problems - I have a back problem (discs) but that was from an injury so I have to be careful - hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2008, 06:54 AM   #3
(male)

acaptainn HB User

The putr certainly DOES aggravate my neck,especially long periods of use.But didnt cause my problems im sure.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
(male)

braveneck HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by acaptainn View Post
The putr certainly DOES aggravate my neck,especially long periods of use.But didnt cause my problems im sure.

Well...how do you know that the computer didn't cause your problems? Does your problem run in your family? Have you had any injuries or trauma, accidents, etc.?
I realize that this is a scary thought. We are all so computer dependent these days. But I'm willing to bet that this issue is going to eventually come to the public consciousness, because of the large number of neck problems and fusion surgeries.

Old 01-13-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

I know right when I injured mine (both times), so I don't think it was computer use. However, I will say I have to be really conscious of my posture or I will FEEL it later.

Fiona

Old 01-13-2008, 07:10 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

sunshine221 HB User

I suspect computer use as a major factor in my stenosis. First thing after surgery the PT had me get a new chair and a headset for my phone, check keyboard height, etc.

There's been discussions on this before -search old posts

Closed Thread