It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
feelbad surgery info.

I am indeed calling the med. supply about the x-large sling, unless its a childs I cant see me wearing an x-large anything. I was alittle dumbfounded when I seen it. It is a shoulder sling with an abduction pillow, I did not pick it up my self had someone else, I am not able to drive anymore then a few mile right now. I am surrounded by medical suppies but yet this was called into a med supply no where near where I live. Go figure. I heard this doc. just orders things to be sent in to your house but never tells you, so indeed I may be receiving the chair you mentioned, someone my husband works with just had surgery with this surgeon, although he is suppose to be good, he does not explain much at all. I will try to ask if I can before going into surgery. My surgery is Jan,31, in the morning but don't have a specific time yet. the hospital called & went over somethings with me, I was relieved that I could take my pain meds 2 hrs before surgery, I can't do anything with out them, I would be in tears. ARe you like that to? I am glad to be going I swear this thing is getting worse & worse. I am just super tired & real edgy. I am getting alot tingling lately in the back & the other shoulder is starting to bother me, I am assuming from using it so much. I am nervous to be sure, I just hope this is successful & I get rid of all the secondary pain. I am thinking of you also. How is it going for you? Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2008, 09:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: feelbad surgery info.

hey sammy.have you gotten that new sling yet?thats just crazy,really.i don;t know why they are making me wait til just 'right" before my surgery(i had to make the appt for two days pre op)to get the sling.i am also having to make arrangements that day for my torture chair to be delivered.altho i have no clue just where this thing is going to actually fit into my house??i also have to pick up that day,this cold compression thingy too.all kinds of goodies.all this crap they keep having me do is just making my anxiety level go up and i really don;t need that right now ya know?i am sure you can relate?

just exactly what are they going to be doing with your shoulder surgery?the description they have written down for mine is"rotator cuff repair,arthoscopy/decompression(R)."i am just worried about a few other problems i may have because of the SCI damage.my RSD could spread,i also have central pain syndrome actually IN that shoulder blade that for the most part has calmed down since it came a screamin back when i woke up in recovery post op from my spinal cord surgery and it was just 'there' already.i also have this in my left arm too only much much worse,which will make doing BPs just a total impossibility.this should be fun.they are going to have to do a ankle cuff since they wont be able to use my right arm.we have not yet discussed this part with my surgeon or the hospital,but that left arm is just not an option they can use at all.it would set off a nightmare even if they used it while i was under.its just the nature of that syndrome.any squeezing is just hell for me there.i am mostly afraid of the freaking pain post op,but i do know my surgeon will take good care of me.the one night in the hospital will at least help tons when the blocks wear off.he is doing a nerve block and also a stellate ganglion too just to try and minimize the risk of that RSD spreading upwards.i just could not handle having what is taking place in my right knee actually happening up in my shoulder and back,oooo,owie.

i am hoping both our surgeries go well and uncomplicated by anything.as soon as you are up to it post op hon,i need details,lol.i just need this pain gone and my arm back soon.i am sure you are feeling the very same too.what exactly is involved in your shoulder right now?keep me posted on how you are doing,K?take care sammy,marcia

Old 01-23-2008, 09:59 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

skych HB Userskych HB User

Sammy

OMG!!!! She has a surgery date!!! WOW!!! You have come so far. I am glad that you are finally going to get what you need.

I know it is going to be tough but just like your here for me I am here for you too.

Many hugs for you.

So surgery for Marcia on Feb 6
Surgery for Sammy on the 1-31

How long will you all need to be in the hospital?

They do not do that one on an Out Patient do they?

Please ladies fill me in on the details so I know whats going on and do not miss you.

Love you guys

Chrissy

Old 01-24-2008, 07:36 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Marcia, I am expecting the "torture chair" after surgery & the cold compress (what ever it is) thing, already have the sling. Thank goodness the lady my husband works with just had the rotater cuff surgery with this surgeon. The bad news is he don't tell you anything just has the stuff sent to you. I am having my husband ask what to expect when the doc. comes out to talk to him after surgery. Good news is he is suppose to be a good surgeon & the lady who had the surgery said her shoulder already feels better, but she had a different surgery then I am getting so I will hope. The hospital has already called to go over some things & will call the day before surgery.
As far as the shoulder surgery he will start with decompression & go from there.
The pain is out of this world & goes down the left side the back into the chest, breast & into the ribs & up into the collarbone down the arm & so on... thank god the surgery is almost here it is getting worse & worse. Hurts to even breathe. My upper back has really been bothering me, & my left arm either can turn like a block of ice or the hand is drenched in sweat. I forgot the oxy at bed last night so in major pain could not get out of the bed.
I will tell you my right shoulder & arm are beginning to bother me I am sure from using it all the time. I have athritis in the left shoulder to so I am hoping that don't bother me after this surgery. I am tired of it all. The pain is out of this world, who would have thought. Even my rehab doc. is saying that they may find more in there, that the MRI's & all those tests could miss something. Took him this long to admitt that. go figure.
As I said my right shoulder is bothering me & I swear I am grinding my teeth so bad mostly in my sleep due to the pain my darn teeth hurt, it will be to the dentist when this is over. Crazy! I am not forgetting that pain med at bed time again that is 3 times in 2 weeks,I just fall asleep before I take it, my husband gets so upset with me & I don't blame him anymore, the poor guy looses sleep right along with me.
Marcia I hope all goes well with you, I am glad they are keeping you over night, sounds like they have good reason to. I will be out patient as of now. Honestly how could the pain be any worse then it is now. It better not be. I can't take anymore. My only concern is I do not always numb well for procedures, I let the hospital know so they wrote it down. I don't want to wake up from this surgery in major pain. How are you handling all this? I am to tired to get anxious right now, I do anticipate that will happen next week. My stomach is acting up & my primary believes it is because I am anxious & of course all the meds I take. Nothing extra for the pain 1wk before surgery, which starts today. Figures I would be having a bad day of all days.
I was told use that chair faithfully & do exactly as I am told. They do not want the old froozen shoulder to set in. This sounds kind of mean but I wish you were going first(ha) in away, in another I am glad its me. They claim they use the same size sling for everyone per doctors request I just look at the thing & wonder how many things I will accidently break, it looks pretty darn big for my size. Let me know how you are feeling & at least you seen more informed then I at this point. When is you chair being delivered? Sammy

Old 01-24-2008, 07:52 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Chrissy, mine will be out patient thus far, in some ways I am glad. funny I take care of sick people alot but make a terrable patient.
Just got a phone call from my rehab. he wont fill my oxy for bedtime, I cant believe this. I am not going to be able to move in the mornings. I so upset.
I don't get it. first he said it was fine. Now I can't even get an appointment with him before surgery. I am so sick of all this.What the heck does he think I am an addict of something? I have proved over & over I don't abuse them. Crazy! I am in tears. Everything he told me he is not doing. He also said he would get me in if I needed before surgery,know he says no. Thank god the surgery is soon. I am posting on the pain managment board. Sammy

Old 01-26-2008, 09:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hey sammy.since i was answering your other posts in the pain board,i haven't gotten back to this one for a bit.hope things are good now sinceyou saw your primary.what a sick SOB the rehab doc is.

my 'chair' as of yet has no real delivery date.i am supposed to make those arrangements at that appt with the bracing people on mon the 4th.i would imagine it would be delivered like the next day or something since my actual surgery is on that wed and i wont be home til sometime thursday whenever they decide to release me.hopefully it WILL be thurs,barring any of the billions of possible complications that could be left behind becasue of my other medical issues.i will keep the old fingers crossed there.

you know sammy,what you described about the coldness and espescially the real sweating that appears to be in the hand?i am starting to really wonder if you don't have at least some level of actual sympathetic involvement going on here too.it just would be a possibility given the nature of where this problem area is and how it could be affecting your SNS.i would most DEFINETLY bring up a few questions regarding possible sympathetic invlovement both with your surgeon and the anesthsiologist.there is a stellate block that can be done along with the standard nerve block they will be doing that could help to minimize the possible creation of RSD developing in that shoulder and arm.from what i know of RSD just trying to live with it and what the SNS governs(it also governs sweating)i am thinking this "could' possibly just place you at a bit higher risk of getting it.the one really interesting thing that was in one of those many brochures from my orthos office was actually something written about the possibility of a post op complication called RSD.i have NEVER ever seen this actually addressed in any pre op literature before,never.but it was there in this stuff from my ortho.strange.its just that anytime you have any level of surgery done on any extremity,it can happen for some insane reason.they still don't really understand yet fully just why or how this triggers in certain people and not others.but it can and does unfortuently happen.it just has to affect your SNS in some way in order for this to create itself.mine was from the SNS damage in my cord that somehow created this in my R knee.it usually shows up in a situation like mine from just having some level of old injury or ongoing inflammtion in any given area.my right knee has always had problems.but that is where it actually decided to pop in two months post op from the spinal surgery.very insane.you just really NEED to bring this up to the orthop and that anesthesiologist with the symptoms you are showing.they need to know so they can possibly add a stellate or maybe the type of block they are using will be all that is actually needed,but they DO have to asked about this before your surgery takes place.i really would do this if this were me hon and just knowing what i know about RSD and how it creates and what has to be in place.you just need to cover ALL possible bases here,thats all.believe me sammy,i am not telling you this to try and freak you out anymore than you already are,just to let you know what i see from what you have described here.the questions regarding RSD just need to be asked.i do hope all goes well with the surgery and of course post op too.i will be thinking of you on the 31st.marcia

Old 01-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Marcia, what exactly is RSD & what does it involve? I most definantly want to be as knowledgable as I can. you seem to up on things alot more then I. So please explain alittle of what you are talking about. Yes I do get the sweating in the hand, just the left, & at times it will get cold. I am glad it is going to be over with soon, my arm is starting to get pain radiating down it. As far as I know if I am getting this chair deal, which I am sure I am, it will come day after. Although this surgeon is suppose to be good he does not let you know before hand everything involved, that is really odd. Thank goodness this lady my husband works with just went for surgery with this surgeon. She has been telling my husband what to expect, although she had just the rotator cuff done, not the decompression,which they thought they would do. She is doing great. I have so many secondary symptoms that I pray this surgery takes care of it all. This has caused me so many problems, my stomach with the GERD or reflux, I have ruined my teeth with the clenching,lost two teeth due to breaking them off not to mention all the plumbing backing up due to the meds. not being able to go to the bathroom is really getting to me, I have lost 20pds +, not to worried sure I will put some back on once the tooth extraction calms down. I want that pain gone before surgery. Please explain some of what you are talking about. Thanks so much, Sammy

Old 01-28-2008, 06:36 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

i will try and give you the best info i can on it.there are alot of things that are really still not known about RSD(reflex symathetic dystrophy) or the newer name for it CRPS(complex regional pain syndrome),but there has to be some level of affectation of the sympathetic nervous system.it has to be involved in an injury of some kind or heavily affect or impede blood flow to an extremity or be irritating the heck out of the nerves and muscle.it just triggers itself in some people.the SNS chain actually starts within the neck alongside the esophagus then goes down into the c spine area then pops out at the c7 t 1 area.this is kind of a 'junction' area for some of the cranial nerves too.but from that point on down,the chain runs alongside the outside of both sides of the actual spinal column.it also has outlets from within the actual spinal cord(this is the level where my SNS got damaged,but up right at that junction under the c 8 nerve?).

the thing is,the SNS just governs so many body system functions along with innervating many body organs themselves and also governs vaso constriction and dilation within all blood vessels.it also governs the sweat response and the fight or flight response in us.the SNS also innervates smooth muscle in our bodies.i am just wondering about the 'coldness"(a vaso response casued by constriction of your smaller vessels) and the sweating in your hand since these would be considered to be a SNS type of issue,you know what i mean?when the SNS becomes affected in some way and this can happen just by having the type of problem you have going on here,it just triggers RSD.its a burning hypersensitivity that can become rather nasty if it appears.it is usually Dxed by ruling out other possle casues of symptoms and the type of ongoing symptoms you have.there is a stellate nerve block that is also used just to try and determine whether or not the extra pain you are having is being sympathetically generated or neuropathic.if the block works(relief of any level of your pain process)then your pain is considered to be SNS generated.

depending on what you feel after your sugery along with any type of color changes in the skin anywhere in the affected area or ongoing swelling that doesn't go away,these would be things to watch for.also having pain that is just wayyy out of proportion for the level of damage or beyond what would be expected are kind of indicators too.i just really do think this needs to be brought up by you to your ortho and the anesthessiologist.just tell them you have indicators of sympathetic involvement going on in that arm and see what they have to say.but i would do some research on this sammy before the surgery just so you have a basic understanding of what the SNS actually governs and what you are feeling or seeing in yourself.believe me,the anesthesiologist knows about RSD and your surgeon should to.this is a risk with any extremity sugery that is done.it just is.it can occur or be triggered by many different things but cutting into the vessels and the muscle can also trigger it in some people.you just need to ask about it and get some answers.they may want to add a stellate block.it all depends on what your anesthesiologist thinks about your risk of it and what the other block is that they will be using too.

like i mentioned before,i am not trying to scare you here,just give you a heads up based on what you have described is going on,thats all.you just need to do some research on it and then speak with those folks about it.its just being a fully informed patient.ask then about your hand sweating and the coldness.these would be considered governed by the SNS.i do hope i didn't just confuse you even more.i just want you to be aware of this so you can ask about it.you DO have the right to know what your real risks could be here.just start informing yourself.there is ALOT of info out there on RSD,trust me.also,take a good look at how the SNS runs too.let me know if you have any other questions that i may be able to help with hon.take care sammy.i am sure your surgery will be a huge relief considering what you are dealing with right now.keep me posted.marcia

Old 01-29-2008, 06:53 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

thanks alot that does sound interesting & my hand sweats like crazy, especially after getting up in the morning. Still not sure about what SNS means or stands for but I can look up the RSD. The Doctors believe so far that alot of what is going on is secondary symptoms of the shoulder problem, we will see. All I know is the pain can get horrific. The symptoms can change like this morning I my arm is super sore (forgot my med last night) & there is tingling going down the side of my back. Yesturday my whole upper back hurt, especially between the shoulder blades. Strange how the days can be different. I know that I am over working the right side & that accounts for some of the pain. I just hope this surgery takes care of this, but I will definantly keep the RSD in mind. Some of these symptoms are strange. Thanks again, Let me know anything else you feel I should be informed on. Sammy

Last edited by sammyo1; 01-29-2008 at 06:54 AM.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:13 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

it just needs to be mentioned to those who need to know ya know?the SNS is the sympathetic nervous system hon.if nothing else,familiarize yourself with what the SNS actually does and governs,then do a bit on RSD and symptoms.just having this basic knowledge will help you to ask your doc and the anestheiologist the right questions.its the sweating thing that i really see here as being the most prominant sympathetic symptom.just ask what they think about it(as far as the sympathetic NS actually being affected in some way),thats all.it just needs to be brought up.that coldness too.you just need to know their opinion,thats all.there are just certain precautions the anestheiologist can take if they do feel you have some level of sympathetic involvement going on.take care hon and i will be thinking those positive thoughts for you,K?hang in there sammy,its almost over.Marcia

Closed Thread