It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2008, 08:59 AM   #1
(male)

mjr49 HB User
Question HELP! Anybody diagnosed with degenerative disk arthritis C5 - C7?

Can anyone tell me if the tingling or numbness associated with this condition lasts a long time? I have initially been diagnosed with this disorder. MRI results to be found out tonight from doctors visit, with hopefully a more clear diagnosis and game plan. I just woke up with a pinched nerve type feeling last week and after a visit to the chiropractor (What a HORRIBLE Mistake) on Friday and excruciating pain the next day, which put me in the hospital E.R. I'm still experiancing tingling and numbness in my left arm and hand. I've been to P.T. only twice but have an initial three week script. So far I have missed an entire week of work.....Very Discouraging! Can anybody offer some encouragement that I may be able to become normal again without cervical epidurals or surgery. I have basically been healthy all my life and I'm not even 50 yet. I have yet to read a post from someone who experienced a somewhat mild case of this with a soon return to normalcy. Is there such a person alive?? I really hope someone has an encouraging story to share with me. I would love to know that it's happened before to someone. Please write soon! Thanks.

Last edited by mjr49; 01-21-2008 at 05:57 PM.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
(female)

purpletrail HB User
Re: HELP! Anybody diagnosed with degenerative disk arthritis C5 - C7?

Sorry to hear that you are in pain. Degenerative disk disease does not resolve on its own, but your flare up of symptoms could resolve. Your doctor will probably first try conservative measures such as anti-inflammatories - the heavy duty prescriptions ones and perhaps a dose of steroids. Since this is a recent problem, there is a long list of treatment options prior to any type of surgery. They may also give you medication for the nerve pain, such as lyrica or neurontin.

Holly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2008, 03:12 PM   #3
(female)

ladybumblebee HB User

Hello,

I have degenerative disk arthritis C3 - C7. the numbness and tingling attached to this condition was a warning sign for me and your doc may well get it under control for you as it seems you've caught it early. The numbness and tinging is normally attached to a trapped nerve so stay away from chiropractors. Sometimes manipulation from a sports therapist can help. Also, the alexandra technique is helpful as posture is really important with neck conditions. You may find that rest and some minor manipulation could put it right and bulges (if you have one) can heal if you rest and allow your body the time to heal. My friend had a minor bulge and numbness etc but is absolutely fine now as hers healed with anti inflams and rest so there is hope!

I've had c4/5 removed and now have a bulge c6/7. I've had steroid injections, anaesthetic injections, an epidural, a shoulder decompression - the list is endless. Mine is pretty bad now as I've been ill for 7 years and surgery leaves you with nerve damage which equals more pain in my case.

The epidural was good. But anti inflammatories and rest may well put you right. Be aware epidurals can affect your legs initially - it's a bit like being drunk for about a week but it's a good step to take if you are trying to control pain and is probably one of the most conservative treatments. Are they suggesting surgery at all? Do you have any disc bulges at the moment?

Let us know the results of your MRI and maybe we can provide more guidance and support.
Take care and kind wishes

LBB

Old 01-21-2008, 04:47 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

Cheer up. There are plenty of people who get their condition under control by using conservative therapies - that's why the doctors encourage a try at rest, ice/heat, nsaids, PT, e-stim, and other simple therapies before any surgery. I personally wouldn't be doing adjustments without the MRI results.

Not sure why you do not want to try epidural, they actually can be helpful. Sometimes it helps flush out inflamation that built in there and is irritating and people feel better for a long time. Others get short lived relief.

From how you describe your pain and your experience with chiro you probably do have some nerve involved. Post your MRI when you get the results.

It is early for you, have hope!

Old 01-22-2008, 07:51 AM   #5
(male)

mjr49 HB User

Hello all,

Thank you for the encouragement and insight regarding my health status. I met with my Dr. last night and he went over the MRI results with me. He was happy to see that there are no ruptured disks, spinal stenosis or extrusions goining on anywhere.

However at C3-C4 I have a small central disc protrusion with compression of the Thecal Sac

Also at C4-C5 I have a small central disc protrusion with indentation of the Thecal Sac. A left paracentral posterior spur with compression of the left exiting nerve root. No spinal stenosis

At C5-C6 I have a small central disc protrusion with compression of the Thecal Sac. A left paracentral posterior spur with compression of the left exiting nerve root. No spinal stenosis.

So from that It looks like several things can happen. (1) continued physical therapy could free up the possibly trapped nerve which seems to be causing the numbness/tingling (2) A cervical epidural could possibly help alleviate the pain and discomfort either short or long term. (3) Surgery to remove the calcium spurs if it is determined they are severe enough or (4) Continued P.T. anti-inflamatories and pain meds to see if they work out the problem. I'm having a neurologist look at me tomorrow and he will later be testing me... Electromyography I think.

This seems to be the beginning of what I pray is a very short road to recovery for me. Obviously the major hope is to eliminate or fix the root problem if possible. I have come to understand that there are a lot of hurting people out there in much worse shape than me and I wish you all the best of possible outcomes. Thank you to those who have been kind enough to lend some insight and encouragement to me through your replies.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

HI,
I had disk degeneration from C4-C7. I went on for 5 nightmare years trying EVERY possible thing and nothing worked for me. I must have done PT 10 times. I also had numbness in my hands that they couldnt figure out if it was from the nck stuff or carpal tunnel (oh boy, dont get me started on that). The neurologist was clueless. I finally had C5-C7 spinal fusion (and spur removals) On Jan. 10, 2007. I had an orthopedic spinal surgeon do the srugery and I am very pleased with the result. I am going to say that I am VERY glad I had it because i am tons better. I am not on any pain or nerves meds anymore. Of course I still feel it, but its much mch better. C4-C5 is still an issue, but they didnt want to fuse yet. I still have numb hands when I sleep, so that is either from waiting too long, so there is nerve damage OR carpal tunnel. I just wear wrist braces when I sleep and the heck with it. Its only when I sleep that I notice the numbness. Good luck to you. :-)

Old 01-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #7
(female)

ladybumblebee HB User

Mjr - glad you got some good news, it really does sound like they've caught it early so you should - fingers crossed - recover quickly. My advice to you would be only let a surgeon touch you as a last resort - try anything and everything else you can. Ask for some strong anti inflammatories and also ice/heat and rest. No ruptured discs is great news so make sure they put the scalpels away and get to see a good therapist who really understands necks.

I wish you lots and lots of luck.

LBB

Old 01-23-2008, 03:09 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

I too am under 50, had radiculopathies (nerve root compression) at C4-7. My advice differs from LBB.

1. Try to get EMG soon to help confirm true nerve root compression versus, tight space irritation casuing chemical reaction type irritation. The sooner you know the better decisions you can make.
2. PT will probably make it worse. We used a rule - if it makes you worse after 1 session - try up to 2 more sessions. If you are worse stop all but heat/ice!
3. Disc bulge might shrink from PT/rest . PT or rest will not make a bony spur or ridge go away. They only get bigger - some take years , others faster, depends on genetics and other stuff.
4. If you have EMG confirmed nerve root compression do not hesitate to accept surgical measures if advised by dr. The quicker the root compression is relieved, the higher chance it will heal pain free. There is data out there that says higher success if fixed <6 months from start. Worst case is nerve damage if untreated (chronic pain, very rare loss of use type scenarios)
5. There is a theory that nerve root compression causes re-wiring /recruiting of pain receptors if long term untreated. Too long to explain now but can chat later if u r interested.
6. Get a Transforaminal ESI and flush it - for pain help and clear out inflammation best as possible. Inflammation leads to more bony growth changes.

Your other issues although serious you can work on them. Your goal is to not develop into a chronic pain patient!!!

Old 01-23-2008, 01:14 PM   #9
(female)

ladybumblebee HB User

Hello

What I was trying to get at was at least you have a) a diagnosis and b) no discs which have totally collapsed. I appreciate that the bone spurs are an issue and your issues do need treatment quickly, but with me it took 3 years to get a proper diagnosis at which point my spurs had started to break off and float around as splinters which left me with serious nerve damage which can't be reversed. Small disc protrusions can heal with rest.

My personal experience with this is that surgeons in the Uk will only go in as a last resort when everything else has failed and you could find that your condition deteriorates slowly with any luck. I found an excellent neck surgeon who has helped me immensely but my journey to the right surgeon took 5 years. I hope you don't think I was trying to make light of your situation I just think that as you have a diagnosis and clearly have found good medical help it may take less time than my seven years. I still wouldn't let a surgeon touch me until I'd tried more conservative therapies i.e. epidurals, steroid injections etc. good luck. I guess like everyone else on here you can only support/comment from your own personal experience. LBB

Old 01-24-2008, 08:58 PM   #10
(male)

mjr49 HB User

My Update:

I was examined by a Dr. that specializes in rehabilatative medicine related to sports injuries and the like. She came highly recommended by my Dr.'s office but I was left somewhat unimpressed, It's probably just me, overexpecting. It was a first visit but I thought I would have an EMG nerve conduction test, however she said it was too soon after the trauma and could show inaccurate results if given at this time. So in a couple of weeks I will go back and have it done.

She prescribed Elavil, Neurotin, and methylprednisolone which I had filled. I had a bad reaction to the Elavil, It turned me into an anxious jittery grouch. It was kind of frightening, just an awful kind of "spaced out" type feeling. I called my Dr. and he said sometimes a side affect like that can happen even at a low 25mg dose and said to discontinue it.

I have a feeling that at some point in the future I will probably be undergoing a cervical epidural. My hope is to wake up with the tingling and numbness gone someday but so far it has not and it's going on two weeks. I do understand that compared to alot of people that is nothing, but I can only live my life, and to me....it is something. Anyway, I will be continuing my P.T. every other day untill instructed not to.

When I look back and think that I just woke up like this....Well actually I didn't get as bad as I am now until after the Chiropractor got his hands on me, Don't get me started!....anyway, I still can only shake my head, It makes you realize that you should not take anything for granted, and be thankfull for each day because you just really don't ever know. Thanks again for the insight and encouragment.

Closed Thread