It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
(female)

poopoopadoop HB User
One hand gets freezing cold - I had ACDF and have 2 hern. disks

Hi, Everyone,
I haven't needed to post much lately since my back pain is minimal/stable now. To recap my story, I had ACDF C5-6 in 4/07 due to spinal cord compression, osteophyte, spinal stenosis, hern disk, etc. It was a big success. I was doing great.

In fall 07, I had a lot of pain after turning over in bed. I called the NS who ordered MRI w contrast and X-rays. The MRI showed small disk herniations in C4-5 and C6-7. The NS said I did not need surgery - just live with it. I guess he was right because the horrible pain subsided and I have been good for a while, with just some aches, little pains.

Recently (past month), I have been having this thing where my right hand will get ice cold and the left hand is warm. It happens a few times/day. I have had other people feel my hands and they are SHOCKED at how icy one is and how warm the other is. It is annoying. The hands even look different when this happens -one normal, and one shriveled looking.

I have done research and can't figure out what this is. I know I have problems with C4-5 and C6-7. My most recent MRI was not that long ago - maybe in Oct 07. I don't have much pain.

What do you think? I don't want to get more MRI's if need be, since I worry a little about radiation after all of them I have had so far.

Thanks,
Lisa

Old 01-27-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
(female)

monarog HB User
Re: One hand gets freezing cold - I had ACDF and have 2 hern. disks

Hi Lisa,

I really can't give info to the cause of your cold hand...but, can tell you you're not alone! I had ACDF C6-7 March 2007 due to cord compression. I have experienced little to no relief with any of my symptoms (bummer). I will tell you, I randomly experience the cold hand thing you're talking about, like I have it right now. Right one is stone cold, left is warm. This comes and goes for me. I have also experienced Raynaud's Phenomenon with this too, 4-5 times. It's where my fingers will turn crazy - frostbite white - for 30 minutes or so, then will return to normal. This has happened prior and post surgery. Sorry you're having troubles....like I said....I sure don't know the cause; but, none of this ever happened to me prior to my neck issues. Keep us posted. Mona

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

Lisa, look up Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOS) and see if you can relate to any of the symptoms. NP

Old 01-27-2008, 08:09 PM   #4
(female)

poopoopadoop HB User

Hi,
Thanks for the replies. It is good to hear that someone else has this too. (Although sorry we are in this boat). Also, neckpatient, I ******d it. It does sound somewhat like me, although I guess it left me somewhat confused. But also, there doesn't seem like much treatment for it. I guess my big thing is that I don't want to end up with nerve damage (like I have in my left hand) again. If the cold hand is a symptom of a bigger problem, then I'd go have it evaluated. If it is just one of those weird things that us neckies have, then, I'll live with it.

??
Lisa

Closed Thread