It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2008, 09:57 AM   #1
(male)

Slimlad HB User
Question Degenerative disc disease in the cervical region

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering whether anyone else has experienced/ is experiencing the same symptoms as myself in relation to cervical Degenerative Disc Disease.

Briefly my history so far:

December 2005: Experienced intense itching in various parts of body, sometimes in patches, sometimes all over. I visited my doctor who checked liver functions etc. Everything found to be okay. The itching subsided and vanished, just as it had arrived, after about a month/ six weeks.

June 2006: Started to experience slight tingling sensation on the toes of my right foot. Put it down to sitting at computer too long so started exercising more. Sensation persisted and so in September 2006 went to doctor again who, upon examining my foot and checking circulation, re-assured me there was nothing to worry about. I left with a prescription for anti-depressants, which I did not take. I was worried I may have had type two diabetes and so had a test at a local chemist. The test was negative.

August 2007: The tingling sensation had persisted, in varying degrees, all year. I then started to notice a strange sensation in the thumb on my left hand. This developed into tingling in my fingers (both hands) and into my right foot. It is not just a tingling sensation but also a strange ‘soreness’ as if I have had my hands in a very strong solution of detergent for a long time. The ‘soreness’ is the same on the soles of my feet and my socks sometimes feel as though they are made of sandpaper. Other sensations include cold feet, burning sensation in feet, tingling in fingertips when lightly touching something, as in the keys of the computer, very sensitive patches in various parts of body, which just come and go. My GP referred me to a neurologist after taking more blood tests, which came back okay.

November 2007: Attended neurology clinic at my local hospital where I had a thorough examination. Initial findings were that my reflexes were exaggerated and that I had hyperaesthesia to pin***** in a C6 distribution bilaterally plus patches over trunk. The doctor asked whether I had any neck pain to which I replied no as I had no problems with my neck at all. He scheduled an MRI of my cervical spine and brain, which I had on 27 December 2007.

31 January 2008: Received a letter from the department of neurology informing me of the MRI results.

MRI Brain was normal.

MRI cervical spine shows exaggeration of the normal cervicothoracic kyphosis. There is also degenerative disc disease in the cervical region with loss of signal from all of the discs. At C5/6 there is a shallow posterior disc bulge in a central and paracentral region. Slight narrowing of the left lateral recess is demonstrated at this level. There is also bilateral exit foraminal narrowing at C4/5. No definite signal abnormality is seen in the cord. Slight prominence of the central canal is present at C7/T1.

I have a follow up appointment in six months time where they will assess whether this can be managed using tablets for symptoms or whether referral to a neurosurgeon would be useful for repair of my spine.

If you are still with me after taking the time, and having the patience, to read all of the above perhaps you have had, or are having, a similar experience.

The point I am questioning/curious about is that the main symptom of degenerative disc disease, as far as I am able to ascertain, appears to be neck pain with other symptoms being rare. How come my only symptoms are these weird sensations? Have you been diagnosed with this condition without neck pain? If so how is it progressing with you?

Best wishes to all who are suffering with this condition.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2008, 06:58 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

sunshine221 HB User
Re: Degenerative disc disease in the cervical region

Welcome

If you read our posts you will see a whole variety of symptoms, all related to c-spine issues - including walking (gait) issues - it's amazing where all those nerves go. Some of us have central cord compression, often with no pain, others have peripheral nerve issues with great pain. I believe almost all of us have been told we have some level of DDD.

Reading your MRI results and the fact that they gave you a six month call back indicates that your problems aren't immediately critical (I saw a NS less than 36 hrs after my MRI was read and surgery within 3 weeks from that). That said, if anything gets worse and/or if you start dropping things or lose urinary or bowel control then call your doc right away.

Meanwhile stay calm and perhaps keep a log of your ongoing symptoms.

-Gloria

Old 02-05-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
(male)

Slimlad HB User
Thumbs up Re: Degenerative disc disease in the cervical region

Hello Gloria,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to reply.

I am sorry to hear that your MRI results were cause for such a rapid referal to a neuro surgeon and that you had to undergo surgery so quickly.

I do hope the rapidity of treatment prevented your condition deterorating any further and that you are feeling okay at the moment.

Yes, it as amazing where all of the nerves go. Equally amazing is the array of vastly differing sensations they can assail us with!

We are all different in some way or another and I suppose exactly the same condition can cause two people completely different symptoms.

Again, thank you for your trouble.

Best wishes.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
(female)

Diane101657 HB User
Re: Degenerative disc disease in the cervical region

Hi,
I have Degenerative disc disease in the cervical region.
When I was 25 I was in an car accident and I was diagnosed with serve whiplash. I was under the care of one of the best neurologist in St.Louis Mo. He told me that my whiplash caused the Degenerative disease to start early. Most People will develop some degree of Degenerative disease if they live long enough. What he said was that this is -arthritis. Arthritis effects people differently and in different places. When I was first diagnosed there were times I had so much pain in my neck and across my shoulders that I thought I would die. I would go to the hospital and they would give me a shot and I would go home and sleep it off. As the days and months and years went by these times became fewer and less serve.

It's been 25 years and now my neck is a little stiff and sore sometimes but the pain is something I can live with.

I do have moments when my hand will open my it self but I composite-I use plastic drinking glasses and try not to hold things with just one hand and little things like that.

I am telling you this because I did not have surgery.I did go to p.t. My doctor told me the outcome of both choices( yes or no to surgery) and my friend chose the surgery. It has been 20 years for my friend and she has lived with a terrible stiff neck and most of her days are painful . My neck is weak but I can move it.

It sounds like you are in the beginning of this disease PLEASE think twice about any surgery.

I know I am so much better off than my friend.

HANG IN THERE and let us know.
Diane

Old 02-08-2008, 05:06 PM   #5
(male)

Slimlad HB User
Cool Re: Degenerative disc disease in the cervical region

Hi Diane,

Nice to hear from you.

You have had rough luck in being involved in such an accident which caused this to happen to you so young.

Yes, from what I have read about DDD it is a natural ageing process which can be accelerated by injury.

As I mentioned, most cases I have read about include lots of neck pain yet I have none, (touch wood) at this moment. This is what threw me when I was trying to establish what the heck was wrong with me!

Don't worry, I will certainly heed your advice about surgery. I am glad to hear you are managing your symptoms well and adapting accordingly. At the end of the day I suppose that is just what we all have to do and make the best of what life throws at us.

My best wishes.

Take care.

Closed Thread