It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
(female)

greenacres HB Usergreenacres HB Usergreenacres HB User
2nd opinion on Thursday for Cervical Stenosis/Surgery, etc. (m)...

Well, what a journey so far. First, they thought it was MS - nope. Now, my neuro has suggested instead of referring me to a Neuro Surgeon he'll refer me to ANOTHER neurologist to get an opinion on my peripheral neuropathy (which I question as well). I do not have diabetes. I had Cervical Injection scheduled for the 29th, my neuro canceled that, because he felt they would not help me.

My last MRI of c-spine is below. I called a different radiologist to review it and he said that the nerve that is being pinched is actually the C7 not C8 and I do have a significant herniation and does correlate with all of my symptoms except the burning feet "possibly". It is also touching my spinal cord with compression. So, I THINK I will probably have surgery on this because it sounds pretty bad in there. What do you guys think? My symptoms are severe left side neck pain, shoulder in between shoulders pain, pain down left arm and headaches quite often. Sleeping is hard because I also have lumbar herniations which I'll ask him about as well. I am a mess to say the least. Anyhoo, wish me luck

**MRI Cervical Spine without Contrast. The vertebrae are normally aligned. Stature of the vertebral bodies is maintained. Spinal cord is of normal morphology with exception of ventral impression on the cord in the left paramedian location at C6-7 secondary to moderate protrusion of the nucleus pulposus. There is no evidence of tonsillar herniation, and the foramen magnum is normal in appearance. There is mild/moderate broad-based bulging in the disk/endplate complex at C5-6, but this finding does not cause impression on the spinal cord, there is no spinal or foraminal stenosis at this level.

Impression: Significant protrusion of the nucleus pulposus at C6-7, finding is positioned in the left paramedian location and causes mild ventral impression on the spinal cord. It is also possible that this finding may impinge the traversing left C8 root. Otherwise unremarkable MRI of the cervical spine.

Lumbar MRI – December 31, 2007

Results: Normal through L3/4 level. L4/L5 level: There are some mild deg facet changes w/out other significant deg osseous changes. The disk is narrowed and dessicated and does show a broad base disc bulge with a small central disc protrusion. There is also some increased signal in the posterior annulus which could be due to a small tear. These findings do cause mild canal stenosis and foraminal recess narrowing. The neural foramina themselves show minimal narrowing without affecting the exiting nerves. The spinal nerve roots are normal.

L5/S1 level. Minimal facet arthropathy is present without other bony degenerative changes. The disc is narrowed and dessicated with a mild broad base disc bulge with a small to moderate central protrusion which appears to abut up against the proximal left S1 exiting nerve and possibly the right S1 exiting nerve. No significant canal stenosis is identified. The foramina bilaterally show no significant narrowing. The exiting L5 nerves are unaffected. The spinal nerve roots are normal.

Last edited by greenacres; 02-19-2008 at 10:21 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to greenacres For This Useful Post:
brylee7 (08-03-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
(female)

julie10 HB Userjulie10 HB Userjulie10 HB User
Re: 2nd opinion on Thursday for Cervical Stenosis/Surgery, etc. (m)...

Wow! Your MRIs sound alot like mine. My pain prior to my ACDF surgery on levels C5-6 & 6/7 was much like yours, except I didn't get the peripheral neuropathy-like symptoms in my lower extremeties until about 5-6 months post-surgery. Everything prior to surgery was neck, shoulder and numbness in my right arm. I had severe cord compression and surgery was done about 12 days after the NS saw my MRI. It does sound to me like you might be heading in that direction, too.

I had my surgery Jan 2, 2007. It's been just over a year, and I'm just starting to accept that things will never be the same. (guess I'm a slow learner!)

I had been getting along with the burning in my feet - did some therapy at the hospital for that, tried Topomax, but it made me too foggy to work. These were suggested by the neuro I was referred to at Mayo Clinic. "Since you/I have cervical damage, it shouldn't be the peripheral system reacting this way, but let's treat it as such." So, I was resolved to "get along', until I fell on the ice about three weeks back. Pain in neck has returned. Random nerve firings throughout my body, mostly in the evenings, probably because I'm tired and hurting more. The pain and burning in my feet has intensified too.

I work in an office and spend alot of time on the computer. By the end of the day, I just plain hurt, and I spend my weekends resting up for another week. Not much fun. I am taking Vicodin in the evenings, but don't like to go to work that way.

I am in the process of getting some updated MRIs done on my cervical, thoracic and lumbar regions. I have thoracic spondylosis, and some annular tears at L5S1. My recent CT scan shows some scoliosis in my cervical spine since the surgery, and it appears there are some bone spurring happening at C4, just above the surgery site. I'm figuring that one will have to be done sometime, too.

I'll be anxious to hear how you do with the 2nd neuro.

If interested, I'll try to keep you posted on my "peripheral neuropathy" as well.

Best Wishes.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:34 AM   #3
(female)

brandam HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenacres View Post
Well, what a journey so far. First, they thought it was MS - nope. Now, my neuro has suggested instead of referring me to a Neuro Surgeon he'll refer me to ANOTHER neurologist to get an opinion on my peripheral neuropathy (which I question as well). I do not have diabetes. I had Cervical Injection scheduled for the 29th, my neuro canceled that, because he felt they would not help me.

My last MRI of c-spine is below. I called a different radiologist to review it and he said that the nerve that is being pinched is actually the C7 not C8 and I do have a significant herniation and does correlate with all of my symptoms except the burning feet "possibly". It is also touching my spinal cord with compression. So, I THINK I will probably have surgery on this because it sounds pretty bad in there. What do you guys think? My symptoms are severe left side neck pain, shoulder in between shoulders pain, pain down left arm and headaches quite often. Sleeping is hard because I also have lumbar herniations which I'll ask him about as well. I am a mess to say the least. Anyhoo, wish me luck

**MRI Cervical Spine without Contrast. The vertebrae are normally aligned. Stature of the vertebral bodies is maintained. Spinal cord is of normal morphology with exception of ventral impression on the cord in the left paramedian location at C6-7 secondary to moderate protrusion of the nucleus pulposus. There is no evidence of tonsillar herniation, and the foramen magnum is normal in appearance. There is mild/moderate broad-based bulging in the disk/endplate complex at C5-6, but this finding does not cause impression on the spinal cord, there is no spinal or foraminal stenosis at this level.

Impression: Significant protrusion of the nucleus pulposus at C6-7, finding is positioned in the left paramedian location and causes mild ventral impression on the spinal cord. It is also possible that this finding may impinge the traversing left C8 root. Otherwise unremarkable MRI of the cervical spine.

Lumbar MRI – December 31, 2007

Results: Normal through L3/4 level. L4/L5 level: There are some mild deg facet changes w/out other significant deg osseous changes. The disk is narrowed and dessicated and does show a broad base disc bulge with a small central disc protrusion. There is also some increased signal in the posterior annulus which could be due to a small tear. These findings do cause mild canal stenosis and foraminal recess narrowing. The neural foramina themselves show minimal narrowing without affecting the exiting nerves. The spinal nerve roots are normal.

L5/S1 level. Minimal facet arthropathy is present without other bony degenerative changes. The disc is narrowed and dessicated with a mild broad base disc bulge with a small to moderate central protrusion which appears to abut up against the proximal left S1 exiting nerve and possibly the right S1 exiting nerve. No significant canal stenosis is identified. The foramina bilaterally show no significant narrowing. The exiting L5 nerves are unaffected. The spinal nerve roots are normal.
This is basically the same subject you all are talking about, I have lower lumbar disc bulging, and degenerative disc disease, nerve root compression in the lower lumbar area which pinches on the nerves that apparently go down into my legs n feet. I was told I also have spinal stenosis. and a tear at T11, I also have a herniated disc at C6-c7, I believe., I think Ive had the neck thing alot longer then the back from a car accident back in the 80's., oh and my facet joints are basically rubbing bone to bone. So, anyway I have constant chronic pain in my lower back which makes it hard to sit, hard to stand and very hard to walk, along with my FEET. The pain in my feet, mainly the left one is so severe its dibilitating....I cant stand long, sitting makes em numb.., walking is usually a really big challenge, and usually I try to use the scooters at the grocery store, because I cant stand the pain it causes in my feet. Its a constant radiating pain in the bottom of my feet and toes, pins n needles, cold when the rest of me is warm, a cold sweat on my feet happens frequently and is very painful and uncomfortable., I get the cramping and muscle spasms in my calfs, and jumping from the calfs all the way up my thighs, and sometimes alot of swelling occurs in feet and in calfs, it looks like I have no ankles some days. But this injury has changed my life so bad it's not even funny. I have had 2 nerve blocks, with very little relief, and they want me to do a third. I have had 2 MRI's done, went to a vascular doctor, who said it wasn't my circulation, it was apparently from the nerves. My big toenails both changed color as well....they go from dark to light and dark. like the bottom of the nail is dark, then center is light, and top is dark again....Now tell me what that means???....the foot doctor said it wasnt a fungus...anyway any advise would be wonderful. I feel so alone in all this misery, My life really sucks from all this pain day in day out......

Old 02-25-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
(female)

julie10 HB Userjulie10 HB Userjulie10 HB User

Brandam,

I am sorry to hear about all your pain. I don't know if it's any comfort, but I do know what you are talking about! I was out and about this afternoon, running errands and my right foot is burning up right now.

How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? And, what do you do for a living? Are you able to work?

What are you taking for the pain besides the injections? I've never had those, so I don't know anything about them. What kind of doctor is directing your care?

I'm waiting on results of MRIs I had done this afternoon of my entire back. Will see my Neurosurgeon on Mar 7th.

I hope that somehow you won't feel so alone by coming to this board regularly. While I don't post as frequently as some, I do find comfort in familar feelings and situations that are expressed here. Take care of yourself.

Closed Thread