It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008, 07:33 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
Cervical Spondylosis and Headaches

Hi,

Does anyone know if certain headaches can be caused by cervical spondylosis (OA) or nerve compression in the cervical spine somewhere?

I've been getting alot of headaches (migraines and other headaches) alot lately. Today in particular, with a weather front coming through, all my joints are kiling me, including my neck. And I have a headache again which is in the lower half of the back of my head and kind of wraps around to the front on both sides. I guess it feels more like a tension headache. Just one or 2 days ago I was fine and today it's all killing me. My eye doctor also said some headaches might be due to problems in the neck. I have had neck pain before and a couple times down my left arm and pins & needles in my left hand. But i've never had my cervical spine checked by imaging (because my low back was so much worse)

So I just wanted to know if anyone with cervical spine issues get any sort of headaches b/c of the spine issues?

Old 03-22-2008, 12:23 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User
Re: Cervical Spondylosis and Headaches

Yes there is such a thing. Where you describe your symtpoms is in line with this type headache. The word you are looking for is occipital headache or occipital neuralgia. When you have one, feel on that lower part of your head and see if it is tender along with the headache. You might try a pillow change - sometimes a simple change like this helps relieve the pressure off those nerves while you are sleeping.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2008, 05:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi, thanks for the reply. Actually I have tried many pillows b/c I have had some severe neck and shoulder pain flare ups. I had found one that seems to work best for me, its a cervical pillow filled with buckwheat (so it's not too soft, but yet you can still mold it) and it's a horse shoe shape. It really helps me to sleep when I have neck spasms. 2 days ago we had that awful wind where I live and humidity and my joints were hurting, including my neck really bad. And right away I also got this headache again. The next day I felt better; now today I am feeling it again. Also, yes, many times my head actually does feel tender where I have the headache. It's hard b/c I also suffer from migraines but I can usually tell the difference btwn migraine and other headaches.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
(female)

Rita27 HB User

Hi, I would like to know this also because I have cervical spine problems and OA and degeneration of discs in my neck from C3-C7. It usually is tolerable, but lately I have terrible headaches and even earaches. I am getting concerned. Like, you, I have a lot of arthritis in my other joints--knees, elbows, hands and fingers.

It really is miserable. My headache is sharp pains up the right side of my jaw into the top of my head and pain in my ear.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:32 PM   #5
(male)

tim581 HB User
Question Re: Cervical Spondylosis and Headaches

hi im a 37 yo male, construction by trade
diagnosed with cervical spondylosis 4 years ago after suffering extreme bouts of pain inability to move head and neck arm weakness pins and needles numbness headaches to the side and back of my head,
xrays and mri's showed it is c/spon,
tried all i could , acupuncture physio tens machines drugs drugs and more drugs,
when it got to the point where i was suffering these symptoms constantly for 6 weeks, was given 3 levels of facet injections, 3 months on now and the symptoms are returning, i am currently prescribed a daily dose of tramadol300mg, pregabalin600mg oh and a 28 box of diazepam once a month to help relax muscles overnite! morning is the worse time, sometimes it gets better through the day, sometimes it gets worse nothing has helped over the years,
my arms are now very limp and weak , im forever dropping things, and just carrying an average bag of shopping makes my whole arm burn and tingle,
my hands arms sholders all ache, just typing this has taken a good 30 mins, as my hands are quite discoordinated i have to keep going back to corect it!!
can any one tell me if they suffer the same at my age? is that amount of tablets normal? im only 36 is it normal for my age? everything i read refers to old age!

Old 05-08-2008, 06:14 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Tim:

Many of us here have similar symptoms, meds and history. Have you seen a neurosurgeon or orthopedic spine surgeon?

Last edited by SpineAZ; 05-08-2008 at 06:17 PM.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:58 PM   #7
(male)

tim581 HB User

i have seen a couple of nurosurgions over the years, and have been told that the damage is in such an area that surgery would be very risky.
thats fine i understand and accept this.
my concerns are that the symptoms are now also moving to my legs,
also how long is it safe to take this amount of drugs for?
at first the consultants were hoping my symptoms would get better, but they are only getting worse, as i said im 36 years old, is this usual to suffer this condition at this age? what can i expect in the future?it all feels very bleak when in such pain constantly how often should i have an mri? what painkillers would people recomend?

Old 05-16-2008, 04:56 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

jbsim HB Userjbsim HB User

I have DDD Bone Spurs Disc bulges Stenosis etc of my cervical spine. I have been having a horriable headache since yesterday. I do suspect its coming form my neck but I could be wrong. I was curious if my problems could cause headache?

Old 05-16-2008, 09:32 AM   #9
(female)

ADSUFTIN HB User

I went to my neurologist yesterday with complaints about neck tension and awful crawling/tingling feeling, if I turn my head in a certain position, in my neck and head. This crawling feeling drives me crazy. I also get tension headaches. I wanted to have c-scan of my brain because I thought that I have tumor or something. I also feel lightheaded sometimes. Two years ago I had brain MRI and it was clear except some ischemic changes. So she said that my headaches and tingling are definetely coming from my C-spine. My symptoms are typical for a pinched nerve somewere. I will have X-Ray and PT. So yes, headache can be from problems in the neck.

Hope it helps.

Alexa

Closed Thread