It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2008, 12:38 PM   #1
(female)

angel880 HB User
Smile reversal cervical lordosis disk bulges,dessication. Please help

hello my name is jen and I am 26 years old I was a healthy working (as an inhome family therapist) woman up until 3 months ago, other than a mld pain in my lower back and left leg I thought it was maybe sciatica but I did not have healthcare. so three months ago I was sitting at home and my arms and legs went numb, I say spots, my heart was racing, i had difficuly walking or talking. I had a shooting pain in my head. This went on for several days and I developed muscle spasms, severe tremors, and inability to control my bladder. Ii went to the doctor and was told I had a severly pulled muscle in my neck. I was prescibed valium and sent home After about a week the spasms went away but I was still having all the other symptoms. After an ER visit and 6 doctors I was told it was psychological and prescribed prozac ( am a mental health therapist and there was no way I was believing that my symptoms were real, but dr's could not find anything after a ct, holter test, ekg ad blood work only showed elevated white blood and liver enzymes. Well I finally found a doctor who believed me and sent me for an MRI It was found that I have reversal cervical lordosis, disk protrusion at c4 c5 and c6 disk arthopathy, disk dessication at the L4 L5 L5-S1, liamentous hypetrophy, endplate degenerative change type 1 and 2 large central disk extrusion resulting in narrowing of the left L5-S1 I am in alot of pain have numbness, heart palpatations, have severe headaches, muscle spasms and I am unable to work. My doctor has no idea what to do she put me on amitriptalyn for pain a month ago and it is not helping. I am on a waiting list to see a neurosurgeon. I am just wanting and pleading to hear if anyone else has similar symptoms sometimes I feel like I am having a heart attack, or anxiety attack I feel detatched at time, I would love to hear from similar people who are getting treatment and what kinds and if you have similar symptoms do they get better and what kind of treatment. Please any help would be great even my doctor has never seen these disorders and these symptoms.. THANKS

The following user gives a hug of support to angel880:
cowsrock (06-11-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User
Re: reversal cervical lordosis disk bulges,dessication. Please help

The bladder issue is very concerning. Are you still having this symptom? I can't believe you were just put on a waiting list. If your symptoms worsen or change or become unbearable, please do not hesitate to go back to the ER. Permanent damage can happen very quickly. I, too, work in the MH field, and my doctor hinted at the severity of my pain being psychological, and I was like "you've got to be kidding me." If I thought I was having a psychosomatic issue, I'd be the first one to speak up.

How long is the wait for the neurosurgeon?

Old 04-17-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
(male)

codemonger HB User

I would say you need to see a neurologist. It's been my experience that it is easier to get to see a neurologist than a neurosurgeon and the neurologist is going to be better at general issues of the nervous system including the brain.

My initial symptoms were not as bad as yours and my neurologist did a head MRI, EEG, Ultrasound of the arteries leading to the brain along with blood tests for lyme, etc. I ended up with ACDF surgery but it was nice to know that it is unlikely to be something else.

I'm not familiar with everything in your MRI report, but disk bulges, desiccation and reversal of cervical lordosis are pretty common, I think and unlikely to be the cause of your symptoms. The other things might be though, I don't know enough about them.

Best of luck.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
(female)

angel880 HB User

Thank You for responding. I just found out that it will be another month before the neurosurgeon can see me. MY DR tried to put me on Lyrica but my ins would not pay for it until I try all the cheaper meds.. You know how that is, so I am just guinea pigging through the trials and have yet to find any real relief. Fortunately I am no longer having problems controlling my bladder (how unusual to be speaking about with strangers lol) My main symptoms as of recent are body tremors, and twitches, severe migrains, excrutiating leg, back, neck pain and numness in left leg and toes. I saw my DR and she was very concerned as I have slow capilary refill in my left foot mainly two toes, and there is a noted weakness overall in my leg. I also have no reflexes to be found on my entire left side including my arms. I she has stated that my leg and toes have decreased blood flow. I have finally been put on VICODAN and it is helping a little she has stated the new symptoms are due to RADICULAPATHY both cervical and LUmbar all I know is that it means the root of these nerves is being damaged in my spine. Well Unfortunately she has tried to make calls and gave me an emergency referral but A month is the best they could do. Wishing all who reads well and thank you for any suggestions or comments.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:05 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User

WOW, I can't believe you are in that much pain and have to wait a month. I started having pain in my right shoulder and arm in Jan. I went to several Dr's who couldn't figure out what was wrong. Finally I went to a chiropractor who sent me for an mri and found a herniated disc. He called a ns and explained the situation and he agreed to see me the next day (on his lunch break). He did the surgery a few days later (over booking himself to squeeze me in).
I was a little leery about how fast he wanted to do things so I did some research and found out I was very lucky to have him because he is the best in the area and very conservative so if he said I needed surgery than I did.
Maybe your Dr. can call several Neurosergens and explain the severity of your problem. You shouldn't have to live with that much pain for that long.
Good Luck! I'll be praying for you

Last edited by elle45; 04-28-2008 at 06:07 AM.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:36 PM   #6
(female)

angel880 HB User

Thanks elle45 I appreciate it can I ak what type of surgery and procedures you had done? And was any of it helpful? yeah well my dr did try and call the ns in the area but she did not get anywhere. Good luck and thanks for responding.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:23 PM   #7
(female)

beebles1193 HB User

I am new to this message board stuff so I hope I am doing it right. I have had neck pain since roughly June 07. Had MRI and they found 1-2 mm central disc bulge. I went to physical therapy for that. Time ran out on that referral for therapy, so there was a 2-3 week gap until the next authorization came in for continuation of PT. But, during the laps, a new symptom arrived, nerve pain down the arm to the thumb-middle finger along with numbness and tingling. Therapy continues, and now it's 5/08. Had a new CT and it shows C5-C6 2-3 mm bulge with mild mass effect on thecal sac (??????) and reversal of cervical lordosis. I continue with neck pain and arm tingles/numbness. Don't like the pain meds they gave me Valium and Darvocet. It takes days for them to get out of me so I feel half coherant. Am going for nerve test in two weeks. ????Does that hurt? What's next????

Closed Thread