It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2008, 12:15 PM   #1
(female)

lindie2 HB User
Unhappy Still Neck Pain After Surgery

HI, I WAS JUST HOPING SOMEONE MIGHT HELP ME THAT HAS THE SAME SYMPTOMS-
PRESSUE BEHIND MY LEFT EYE(FEELS LIKE IT COULD POP OUT!)
PRESSURE @ THE BASE OF SKULL AND ON THE LEFT SIDE OF MY HEAD WHERE THE BONES ARE. 24/7
PRESSURE IN LEFT EAR AND THE BONE BEHIND IT
BLURRED VISION

I HAD CERVICAL FUSION @C5 & C6 LAST APRIL BUT I AM STILL IN HORRIBLE PAIN, THE BASE OF MY SKULL ON THE LEFT SIDE FEELS LIKE IT COULD BUST OPEN
I GO BACK FOR MY CHECK-UP THIS FRIDAY TO THE NEUROSURGEON AS IT WILL BE 1 YEAR SINCE SURGERY AND I FEEL LIKE HE'LL JUST BRUSH THESE SYMPTOMS OFF AND TELL ME I'M MUCH BETTER- BUT I'M NOT!!
DOES ANYONE HAVE THESE PROBLEMS?!! IF YOU DO COULD YOU PLEASE GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT TO WHAT MAYBE CAUSING THIM. PLEASE ANY INFO WOULD BE APPRICIATED SO MUCH. I JUST CAN'T TAKE THIS HORRIBLE PAIN ANYMORE WOULD IT BE HARD TO FIND ANOTHER DR. AFTER SURGERY?

Old 04-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
(female)

erin72 HB User
Re: Still Neck Pain After Surgery

Hi Lindie2, I had many complications post op C5/6 ACDF as well. My symptoms were (and still are) headaches and migraines, dizziness, muscle soreneness and spasms, muscle weakness in my legs and arms and more odd sensations over the course of the year. Sometimes when a new symptom would come up I would notice it and almost dwell on it because I thought, 'Oh no, where is this one going and what's it going to do to me?' I became so hypo-sensitive to everything out of fear! I have the pressure and pain behind my right ear, ouch! I found out that my fusion never took. My neuro didn't tell me what was happening and because of my 'odd' symptoms he sent me to a neurologist who then ran some tests and found nothing. He basically wrote me off as "stressed"! How maddening!!! I finally went to a neuro on my own and paid for it out of pocket for a consult and a CT scan. He's the one who found that my fusion never took (this happens in LESS than 5% of patients) and that the device used was not 'ideally placed' and was too big! My surgeon never helped me. He told me he was the surgeon, he does surgery. Anything post op, he was unsure how to treat! Don't let the docs make you feel like your crazy! (It's easy to believe!) If your intuition is telling you something is wrong and your body is screaming at you, fight like hell to get the docs to run every test possible. I had to fight the docs and the insurance company for 5 months!! It's not an easy battle, but you're worth it!! It's your quality of life at stake, fight the battle. It sounds to me that this far out, somethings not right. I have terrible pain up and down the back of my neck and across my shoulder blades, arm numbness, etc. My surgery was in March '07. I'm now scheduled for another surgery next week. I'm scared to death and now I'm in counseling to help me prepare for this next surgery. This has been a very tramatic experience, as it is for all of us. I went from a very healthy, vibrant person to depressed and broken. It has been the fight of my life, not to sound corny but it's true! If you haven't had a CT scan, GET ONE!!!! An MRI will not give a true image because of the metal in your neck, it will balloon out.
Don't let the docs brush you off, I did for a while, but the pain won't give in! Be persistent. I was told later by some friends in the medical field that sometimes when patients complain about issues they don't act right away because maybe the patient will just stop complaining. Be a "squeaky wheel"!! Good luck! ~Erin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread