It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2008, 07:02 PM   #1
(female)

Wymom94 HB User
weird post-op symptoms, anyone else have them?

Okay, so did anyone else bloat/distend up post-op from their ACDF? I'm 11 days out and still have a belly that sticks out further than my boobs do (that is NOT normal). It goes down a little, but is still bloated, then fills back up, daily and leaves me feeling sick to my stomach. There's also a point of tenderness on it, upper left portion. It's annoying and doesn't seem to be an issue for the Drs. I'm quite tired of it, though. Also, anyone else get 'body spasms' post-op? When I get relaxed for sleep or just restful, my body will just go into spasms or twitching (twitching being gentle involuntary movements, spasms being more harsh). It was worse before I went off meds and dropped my water intake (my GP suggested I might be water intoxicated, so I dropped my intake down to 8-10 glasses a day -and my dh and I thought it might be the meds, so I went off them) --but, it hasn't gone away yet. Those are my only 'weird' post-op issues --those and the blurry vision which has almost entirely returned to normal (GP tested my vision twice post-op and it was 20/35, then 20/25 --I think I'm probably back to 20/20 now). My other stuff is normal pains and trouble sleeping, but it's the weird stuff that I'd like to know more about.. if anyone else has experienced it. Is it the anesthesia, meds, what?

Old 04-23-2008, 05:55 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User
Re: weird post-op symptoms, anyone else have them?

It does sound like you are intaking far more fluids then your body can handle. That will cause bloating, etc. As for the other symptoms these are not any that I personally experienced - while I did have sleeping issues (I never sleep well post-surgically) these resolved when I used a sleeping aid.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
(female)

Wymom94 HB User
Re: weird post-op symptoms, anyone else have them?

Thanks for responding Spine, I'm not twitching or spasming anymore, so maybe I was taking in too much water --or it was the meds, either way I'm glad it's over. I'm still bloated and distended, but will going in Monday to see my GI dr, so hopefully he'll shed some light on it, or it will be gone by then. I'm going to ask for a different anesthesia, a diff pain med, and diff muscle relaxant for my 2nd surgery (the lumbar laminectomy), just to be sure --and I won't drink 15+ glasses of water a day post-op. I was really, really thirsty post-op and just sipped constantly on water (maybe a lot of sodium in the meds, I don't know). I'm 13 days out now, use to being off meds (though still feeling that I'm off, but not as 'sharply'), and doing pretty good in general. I hate the collar and am so glad the dr said I don't have to wear it when I'm sitting propped up well. I've stopped wearing it when I eat, but wear it all night and for most of the day like I'm s'pose to. They told me I only have to wear it 3-4 weeks and I'm so glad if that's true. I'm most or half done then.
I have to say, regarding my ACDF, I'm really impressed w/ how surgery went and how recovery is going (despite the 'weird post-op symptoms' and problems coming out of anesthesia in the hospital). I was nervous about a surgical complication (singular or plural) and nothing went wrong, not even the more common complications, not even the one my surgeon had w/ his own ACDF a year ago. My toughest times were the first day and night (b/c of the anesthesia making me so sick --ugh, ugh , ugh) and the night at home when I went off meds before I was really ready to (nasty, nasty night). I've done really well and feel much better than I was afraid I would. On the flip side, it was also a bit more than I realized, too. I didn't plan well enough, but mostly in regards to not being able to drive and having enough help. I didn't set the house up to avoid reaching as much as I thought I had, but, I used all the tips I got on here and was welll-stocked for all the big and little things. It helped and is helping a TON to have the lists of tips from people, even the 'little' tips like buying flexible straws --big help. Even when I naughtily slip off my neck brace to eat now, I still drink from a straw to make sure I keep my neck in a good position. This board has been incredibly helpful and I want to thank EVERYONE! I know that I would not be having as good of a recovery as I am if not for what I learned here to help me out. Every little bit really does help. THANK YOU!
Meghan

Closed Thread