It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 01:32 PM   #1
(female)

katolb90 HB User
mattress for degenerative disk

I have degenerative disk disease in my neck (cervical spondylosis) with mild, but irritating symptoms. I also have small issues with the L5-S1 area. I think it may help me to get a new mattress. The one I have now is too firm and has very little 'give'. When I lay on my stomach I have back pain the next day, when I lay on my right side my hand/or arm gets numb cause thats the side where my disk problem is worse. When I lay on my back my neck is never comfortable and sometimes when I wake up my head feels like its been laying on concrete. Well you get the picture. Before I go mattress shopping, is there a certain name for the type of mattress I need?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
(female)

angel880 HB User
Re: mattress for degenerative disk

well I am not sure what brand of matress is best but I have many of the same diagnosis. I find that a very soft pillowtop matress with an extra egg crate gives me some relief due to my neck and lower back pain I sleep on my right side (my left is where the pain and numbness are) with a contour pillow between my knees with two very soft full pillows, that is the best comfort I can get. Good luck and hopefully you get a chance to try this and see if it helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2008, 02:51 PM   #3
(female)

barmc5 HB User

Hi

I've found the best mattress for your back pain is a mattress topper that looks a bit like an egg shell which takes off the pressure from your back. I am in the UK and there are quite a few companies that sell it over here mail order as it arrives compressed in a small packet then when you open it, it expands. I have had a chronic back and neck problem for over 20 years and could not do with this topper. I have one at my sister for when I stay there and I have an expensive sleeping bag which I take away with me to pop under the bottom sheet wherever I am staying to take the pressure off my back.

I also take my own pillow but the mattress is the most topper is very important. If you cannot find anyone who sells the mattress topper egg shell shape then leave another thread and I will find a link for you. Hope that helps.

Sleep well,

Old 04-29-2008, 07:55 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

julyg HB Userjulyg HB User

I bought a 4 '' memory foam mattress topper for a king size bed very reasonable priced from an online company "o" and it is heaven. Of course now I have to buy the deep pocket sheets from same company to cover the mattress topper and pillow top mattress! Topper was just a bit north of $150 and worth every cent!

Old 05-01-2008, 12:19 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

Ditto - seems we all found the same thing to be comfortable. I have a very good quality pillow top mattress, then I also have another featherbed on that to take the pressure points off. The featherbed topper I bought was money well spent from Pacific Coast (the major luxury hotel chains buy from).

If your mattress is still in good condition - you might try a purchase such as this or the egg crate toppers and see if that helps before you invest in a new mattress.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:40 AM   #6
(female)

katolb90 HB User

Thanks all. I'm going to research all these ideas. Is there any difference between the regular memory foam and the one that shaped like an eggshell? I would imagine the eggshell one would be harder to find. For Jangel192000, what does 'extra egg crate' mean?

Old 05-01-2008, 04:27 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

Hi! I had posted a few weeks ago asking about the foam mattress toppers; got some good advice from some fellow posters, and went ahead and bought one. It is a 3 inch topper, purchased on-line from an overstock company, and cost around $150. I am so very pleased with it and find I can sleep better (two herniated disc's in lumbar region). I have it on top of my pillow top mattress, and then put a mattress pad on top of the foam topper to hold it in place.
I previously had one of those "egg crate" things (very thin) and found it created an indentation in the middle where I slept.

I have had this about two weeks and love it. Of course I still have pain during the day from my bad disc's, but sleeping is much better since I purchased this topper.

Hope you find one that you are happy with!

Judy

Closed Thread