It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User
Crazy Sideffects

I had a posterior cervical lam. 2wks ago. Since then i have been experiencing some strange things. My eyesight has gotten a lot worse, when I lay down to sleep my arms, legs, fingers, hands etc. start jumping around (not all at once). And now my husband says I snore. I have always had shaky hands but now they tremble so bad I can hardly get a fork to my mouth.
Could this be from meds., or nerves still adjusting to serg.
I am taking oxycodone, and cyclobenzaprine . But only at night. The jumping limbs happen if I lay down to nap in the afternoon as well.
Has anyone else had any of these symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2008, 06:13 PM   #2
(female)

Wymom94 HB User
Re: Crazy Sideffects

Yes, I have had some of the same crazy symptoms/side-effects as you are having, elle. I had my ACDF 4 weeks ago today. I woke up from anesthesia unable to see properly and had vision problems (extremely blurred vision and even an episode one day w/ visual "hallucinations") for the next 1&1/2 weeks or so. I couldn't see clearly unless something or someone was 2 feet in front of me and even then it wasn't perfect. I know that time frame doesn't fit w/ yours, but maybe yours is just going to take a little longer to work back to normal? I went in for a vision test w/ my GP several days after my surgery and my 20/20 vision was at 20/35 (was much worse days before I went into my GP, but I don't know what #). Several days after that, I went back and it was up to 20/25. Weird thing is, that after 3 weeks when I went back again, it was 20/15, which is BETTER than it ever was before (my super powers finally revealing themselves). Also, I had the body spasms and body twitching when resting or trying to sleep (and even in my sleep, according to hubby). That started after I got home from the hospital and worked up to a very intimidating and scary crescendo -and is the main reason I went off all Rx meds earlier than I was ready to... I was worried there was a connection.
I also lowered the amount of water I was drinking to make sure I wasn't takign in too much. I had a horrible time going off the meds, but after a few days off, my whole body spasms began to lessen to just twitches, then they left. They came back a week later for a couple days (mostly twitches, but also some whole body spasms --like having a seizure w/ my arms, then legs, then torso, and sometimes all at once just wildly jerking around and jerking me around). Then
they left again and came back this weekend for one day. I saw the neurologist my neurosurgeon referred to me this week and he attributes my weird symptoms to a reaction to the morphine and anesthesia. He said that my taking Norco after leaving the hospital might have extended the reaction my body took to morphine, something about the hydrocodone after morphine. He wrote out a Rx for a drug to counter these effects, should it come back yet again --and also for after my 2nd surgery that is upcoming. I could swear it's the drug you're taking, though --cyclobenzaprine (we haven't picked up the Rx yet so I may be remembering the name wrong). I will either be getting different drugs this 2nd time or use the new Rx to counter the effects, if the new drugs aren't sufficient (and the old are necessary). The neurologist said that some people have unusual reactions to anesthesia, morphine, and such. He called the spasms 'myoclonus' and said that mine were a specific kind -hypo-something-something-clonus. If you are taking the drug he prescribed for me and still having spasms or twitching, maybe it would be even worse w/o it? I don't know, but I'd ask for an appt w/ a neurologist and go over your meds now and in-hospital, too. I felt MUCH better after seeing the neurologist and getting an answer. It was wild, weird, and scary to have my body jump all over the place w/o being able to control any of it (and I was worried about hurting myself). It freaked out my hubby and son to see it. As for the snoring, well, I've always snored if I sleep flat on my back, but I haven't been snoring in the recliner at all. I can't help w/ that one, sorry. I have had a distended and bloated abdomen for the past 4 weeks since surgery. That has bugged me a lot b/c it's just not going away (and I go in for 2nd surgery in less than 2 weeks).
I'm so sorry you've dealt w/ crazy symptoms, too -esp the body spasms (heck, the vision, too --that scared me until it got better). I wish you the best with this and hope we both say good-bye to it completely, no returns.
Meghan

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2008, 10:34 PM   #3
(female)

Wymom94 HB User

Hi elle, my husband picked up my Rx tonight and it isn't Cyclobenzaprine like you're taking. It's called, Clonazepam. It's suppose to produce a calming effect on the nervous system. I'd ask your neurologist about it.
Good luck
Meghan

Old 05-10-2008, 09:11 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Thanks for all the info. I'll be sure to discuss everything with my Dr.
It's good to know I'm not alone in this.
As for the snoring. I listened to my husband snore for 10 years, now I guess it's pay back time.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i am just wondering what the extent of actual damage or problems were pre op? do you have your pre op MRI handy so you could please at least list what was in that summary at the end? in some cases,what was there before can effect your post op,depending upon just what was done and what was left behind. it would help alot to know exactly what the report stated if you could?

just where exactly was your lami done and how many levels? one BIG thing you have to remember when they actually go in thru the back vs the front is that they are also cutting thru ALOT of the thicker heavier muscles there in the trap and deeper muscles. it DOES make a huge differenre in how the muscles feel and will react post op. i have had both the anterior approach done for my fusion and also,when a glob of blood vessels that were bleeding off and on within my actual spinal cord had to be removed,they had to do the posterior approach with a tri level lami, that really was much harder to deal with the aftermath just in that upper back and neck area than the anterior was even close to. it kept causing huge trigger points of wadded up muscle and tissue and has ever since and this particular surgery was back in 03. just some info for ya.Marcia

Old 05-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

I don't have my MRI results. I gave them to my Dr.( I guess I should get a copy). I had a disc extrusion btwn c6-c7 only, no fusion. I was experiencing pain behind my scapula, in my right shoulder,down my arm as far as my wrist( it did not effect my hand and fingers). I also had tingling in these areas. The procedure that was done was a laminectomy (so they called it), but very little bone was removed. He just removed the part of the disc that was sticking out.
In reading these boards I feel very lucky. I was driving in 5 days (against Dr. orders, but I had to get my kids to and from school). I was also going to lunch with friends (they drove), doing laundry, grocery shopping, and light house work, all by the end of the 2nd week. I am returning to work (house cleaning) on Monday, and on Wed. I go to the Dr. for my 4wk follow up. Hopefully He will give me the o.k. to resume doing all the things I've already been doing. I do still have some aches and pains, and tingling. Probably because I have been doing too much, but a moms got to do what a moms got to do. My husband is busy working overtime to make up for my income so i feel guilty asking him to do things around the house. Does anyone know what further problems I could be causing by over doing?

Last edited by elle45; 05-16-2008 at 01:32 PM.

Closed Thread