It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2008, 04:31 PM   #1
(female)

rdt HB User
need recommendation for neuro surgeon in Boston with cerivcal ACDF experience

hello,
i need to find a good neurosurgeon to perform a double acdf c4-c5 and c5-c6. I have been in pain now for three years but am so scared of surgery after reading boards where people say they are in more paon afterwards.
if anyone knows of a good neurosurgooen in Boston Ma, would really appreciate the name..
thank you so much...

scared in MA

Last edited by rdt; 05-26-2008 at 04:32 PM. Reason: typos

Old 05-27-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
(male)

codemonger HB User
Re: need recommendation for neuro surgeon in Boston with cerivcal ACDF experience

I used Dr. Woodard at the New England Baptist for a C4-5 ACDF last September. The surgery went well. I attended the pre surgery training class with my wife before hand so I knew what to expect. I went in early in the morning and was out by 3 in the afternoon, although I was told I could stay overnight if I had wanted. I had no real complications. I had some swallowing issues that seem minor now that I look back on it, but were scary at the time. Overall I would recommend him. My neurologist implied that Woodard is known as a good technician which is what I want when messing around with my spine.

He is hard to get an appointment with though. Figure at least a 3 month wait unless you have an MRI report or a doctors note that indicates it is urgent. Also, don't expect to see him a lot after the surgery unless their are complications. I've only seen him twice since I had my surgery and he doesn't want to see me again for another year. I have a neurologist that I see more often (pretty much whenever I want to) if I am concerned about something. I think it is pretty typical that a good neurosurgeon is hard to get an appointment with since word gets around.

Personally, my symtoms have improved a bit, but not much after surgery. Both the neurosugeon and the neurologist say it may just take time (years), or it may be permanent damage (I had a compressed spinal cord). It is important to get your expectations in line. The primary goal of surgery is to stop things from getting worse.

Good luck.

Last edited by codemonger; 05-27-2008 at 12:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
(female)

rdt HB User
Re: need recommendation for neuro surgeon in Boston with cerivcal ACDF experience

thank you so much for the recommendation. i have been living with pain in my neck/shoulder and some arm weakness now for two/three years. it has impacted my life..can't garden, clean my house, push a vacuum, push a shopping cart. i either have a heating pad or ice on my neck/back.
i went to mass general and have an appointment with a dr. borge. but i do intend to talk to more than one doc. i heard the baptist is good for spine surgery also.
what do you mean you improved a little? do you still have pain? that is my fear after reading some of the boards.

thanks again for the recommendation and hope you feel better soon.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
(male)

codemonger HB User

I've always had good days and bad days. The pain has never been real bad, mostly annoying and a little scary because I'm always worried that their is something else going on. I think I'm a little better now, but it is hard to gauge. My last MRI showed the surgery did what it was supposed to do, take pressure off the spinal cord, but the cord is still deformed and Dr. Woodard said it may take a couple of years to know if is going to get totally better. I think he is implying that I waited too long.

I think each case is unique so you really need to the opinion of the doctors on how likely things are to get better. I was told the primary goal is to stop things from getting worse.

Closed Thread