It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
(female)

nicki parry HB User
MRI Cervical Spine with & w/o contrast

I don't understand the findings in my MRI. Can you help?

Findings:

There has been an anterior cervical fusion from C5 - C7 with bridging intervertebral bone. The cervical cord has a normal contour, thickness, anal signal. The cerebellar tonsils are normally positioned. No fracture is seen.

C2-3 There is no evidence of spinal or foraminal stenosis.
C3-4 There is minimal dorsal disc/spur with no significant spinal or moraminal stenosis.
C4-5 Right facet hypertrophy. There is a dorsal disc protrusion which causes partial effacement of the ventral thecal sac. There is not cord mass effect. Ventral disc/spur is present as well with an annular tear. Right facet and uncovertebral hypertrophy cause moderate focal formaminal stenosis. The left neural foramen is widely patent.
C5-6 There is mild dorsal ossific r dging. no significant spinal or foraminal stenosis is present.
C6-7 The spinal canal and neural foramina are widely patent.
C7-T1 There is no disc protrusion or other cause of spinal or foraminal stenosis.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:34 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Gameth HB User
Re: MRI Cervical Spine with & w/o contrast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicki parry View Post
I don't understand the findings in my MRI. Can you help?

Findings:

There has been an anterior cervical fusion from C5 - C7 with bridging intervertebral bone. The cervical cord has a normal contour, thickness, anal signal. The cerebellar tonsils are normally positioned. No fracture is seen.

C2-3 There is no evidence of spinal or foraminal stenosis.
C3-4 There is minimal dorsal disc/spur with no significant spinal or moraminal stenosis.
C4-5 Right facet hypertrophy. There is a dorsal disc protrusion which causes partial effacement of the ventral thecal sac. There is not cord mass effect. Ventral disc/spur is present as well with an annular tear. Right facet and uncovertebral hypertrophy cause moderate focal formaminal stenosis. The left neural foramen is widely patent.
C5-6 There is mild dorsal ossific r dging. no significant spinal or foraminal stenosis is present.
C6-7 The spinal canal and neural foramina are widely patent.
C7-T1 There is no disc protrusion or other cause of spinal or foraminal stenosis.
Stenosis is a narrowing of the spinal canal or the foramen between the vertebra that have the nerve roots run through. It is bad and your do NOT have it in the C2-C4 levels which is the upper levels of your neck. You have 7 vertebra that make up the cervical spine in your neck. C1-C7.

The parts talking about spurs are osteophytes. They are calcium deposits that begin to build up on bone when there is degeneration in the area.

C4-5 Right facet hypertrophy. This is an enlargement of the little joint between the c4 and c5 vertebra due to degeneration of the joint. It can lead to nerve irritation since the the root runs past it as it exits the spine. This is what they are talking about with the foramen stenosis.

The c5 root is getting compressed some due to the degeneration of bone around it. You also have the disc tear/bulge in that same level making matters worse. I would expect you to have pain or numbness in the right shoulder/lateral upper arm. This is normal with a previous fusion of the C5-C7 levels, normally after surgery the next highest levels tends goes bad in time. In your case that would be the C4-C5 level.

Since the C5-C7 is fused there is not much going on there. Its above that area that is now suffering. This is why fusion is a bad thing unless it is absolutely needed.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
(female)

nicki parry HB User
Unhappy Re: MRI Cervical Spine with & w/o contrast

Dear Gameth,

Thank you so much for your reply. I am definitely having severe pain on the R side of my neck, shoulder and down my arm into my elbow. I have tried extensive PT with and without traction but has not helped at all. I work on computers all day and am having a hard time dealing with the pain. The original injury was from a motorcycle accident and surgery was necessary, but I do not want to have another surgery. Any suggestions how I might fix my problem and I can be healthy and painfree again?

Tired of being in pain........

Old 08-08-2008, 07:43 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Gameth HB User

Look for a chiropractor perhaps that is a National University Grad. Nothing agaist other DCs I just know that the National grads normally know their stuff.

REMOVE

Good luck. Other than that you need to find someone that can maybe help with your posture/ergonomics while you are at the PC.

Last edited by Mod08; 08-08-2008 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Please read the posting rules, posting websites are disallowed.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:37 AM   #5
(female)

nicki parry HB User

Thanks for the info. I will definitely check into a good DC. I have been to a couple in the past and did get some relief so I'll go again. I am ergonomically set-up with a sit/stand computer table and have definitely been coached on my posture and the PT told me I have very good posture so I think the best step is the DC. Thanks for all your help. Have a good day! 08-08-08....

Old 08-08-2008, 09:32 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

just one word of caution here. going to see a chiro espescially after having a fusion canbe a bit more risky,espescially with compression going on with any nerve level. with some of the things you have going on,espescially at the posterior sides(doral) it is much closer to your cord as well. i would be personally very hesiatant to go this route if this was my situation. i know some chiros will not even touch someone who has already had a fusion done,and quite frankly,they really shouldn't. there is also always that possibility that a good solid fusion never took place there either at both endplates,only one. it really is astounding when CT and MRI scans actually state that you are indeed fused but you really are not? this was my case. both scans actually stated solid fusion when i clearly was not,just based upon the huge array of symptoms i was having. the only way i now know for 100% certainty that i finally did fuse(after a hardware placement surgery) is my NEW and improved neurosurgeon actually visualized it with his own eyes when he had to remove the backs of my vertebraes before my spinal cord surgery.

just be very careful about what you allow with that c spine the way it currently is. it just CAN and has made peoples situations like ten times more devistating than what they started out with. you just have alot of issues on the back sides of your vertebrae that could affect the actual cord with any adjustments there,ya know?

unfortunetly your c 4-5 has some rather in depth issues such as that annular tear among other things which will not ever heal without surgical intervention. that osteo is already large enough that it is indenting the sac that surrounds your cord too. you can try pain management if surgery is not something you want to have to deal with,but i do have to tell you that most spinal issue are progressive in nature and at some point surgery may be your only option to releive not only your pain but the other symptoms as well. it does suck to be in this posistion,believe me i can relate. but you really need to look at the reality of what you have going on in there and the very real overall risks in not getting at least the fixable things fixed,ya know? my biggest concern for you is the overall amount of the posterior stuff that is there that could grow(osteophytes just grow over time) and really affect your actual cord. trust me,you do not want cord damage of any kind,it just simply sucks in what it can create for you.

have you actually consulted with any neurosurgeon at this point just for an eval and consult yet? if so,what did they tell you? sorry to be such a downer. i would just hate to find out that you ended up with some level of permanent damage to nerve roots or even your cord so i felt i should at least inform you about not going to a chiro with your level of damage and having that fusion too. it only takes one wrong adjustment by a chiro to create a long painful process for you to have to deal with. knowing what an actual neurosurgeon feels or felt about this would help tons right now. you just really need to know what your real risks are right now. hope i didn;t freak you out here,that was not my intent, just wanted to inform you,thats all. been there done that,ya know? good luck hon,marcia

Old 08-08-2008, 10:02 AM   #7
(female)

nicki parry HB User

Hi Marcia,

I so appreciate your advice. I too am very skeptical about going to DC, I have tried them and my symptoms continue to get worse. I have been going to PT as well but that is not helping out in the least, in fact, the traction definitely made it worse. I am tired of Dr.s saying, oh, you will just have to live with the pain, its not that bad. The don't have a clue what kind of pain I am having. I am very stoic and try to pretent its not that bad, but my husband and co-workers can definitely see different. I am going to see my ortho on Tuesday and will write back what he suggests. I had a MRI in Jan. and it showed some disc bulge but the MRI I just had in June has shown a lot more including the protrusion and tear. I am not giving up, I have to find someone that can help me get rid of the pain. I am a fit 49 year old and really want to get back into enjoying life. Once again, thank you so much....It is nice to know there are people out there that care enough to give their opinion to a stranger. I hope you continue to feel well. Have a wonderful weekend. Happy 08-08-08.... Nicki

Old 08-09-2008, 08:44 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

soo,you have been seeing only an ortho and not an actual neurosurgeon? you really DO need a second opion for an actual neurosurgeron just becasue of where this is in your spine. also, did they actually do traction on you AFTER having a fusion surgery at some point or was this before it? i am only asking since with fusion,traction is kind of contraindicated,mostly becasue you never truely know for 100 percent certainty whether or not a full fusion took place,so anything that is going to "pull' on your spine like traction can just create many more problems if things did not actually go the way they were supposed to,ya know what i mean? did you experience ANY worsening of your already present symptoms after the traction was done? have you had any type of real scan done since traction was done? its just a bit risky for any fusion patient when someone decides for some insane reason to want to cause pull on your spine.if you have a set of films and the reports if that last MRI was after your traction,they really do need to be compared for any possible real movement of the endplates or the vertebrae after all that pulling was done on it. i would definitely bring this up to your ortho.

the thing is with fusion,no scan can actually really show with that 100 guarenteed certainty that a total fuision actually took place. my MRI and CT both stated i was fused when i clearly wasn't(only one of the two endplates had actually fused in my situation). kind of scarey actually. i often wonder how many people who actually had fusions done are really walking around without one just becasue some scan said they were. this just happens alot more often than most docs would be willing to actually admit. you always have to remeber that any scan is just only that,a scan of an area and not a full on kodak moment ya know? things can often get missed on any scan or not seen clearly enough to know anything for one hundred percent certainty either. found this one out the hard way.

in your situation,i would seriously obtain that second opinion on everything from an actual neurosurgeon(and make sure to tell him or her that traction was done) and not just settle for the orthos. NSs just really are much more aware of the things up in the c spine/cord and brain and that possible connection to having problems too than any ortho could possibly be. the c spine is just a whole different animal than any other area of our spine is. it is the most heavily innervated area of our spine. very different than the rest of the lower spine segments are. while i would not have a real proble letting my really great ortho do a basic spine surgery on any other area of my spine,we would have an issue with the c spine area. you just really need that level of expertise with that area to really know what you are dealing with here. please keep me posted on all things,K? good luck with your next appt. Marcia

Closed Thread