It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

nero HB User
trouble swallowing after acdf c5 6

I am five years past acdf c5 6 and live with bulging c6 7. I am having suddenly these past 6 months trouble swallowing enough to drive me insane. Had upper GI and nothing; dr put on acid reflux meds but I know its not that as no symptoms. Wondering if anybody has had this as upon chiro (new) xraying same she sees what looks like calcification in the area which may be comprising my oesaphagus. Has anyone had this experience> I am to go to ENT guy for a look in my throat thank god as sometimes it is sooooooo annoying and I wake up choking in the night. My old chiro said some people have to go to a swallow clinic to relearn how to eat for this side affect YIKES. Nobody tells you any of this...Primary goal is to rid pain and then you have a host of other issues. Anyway, any advice would be great.. Thanks Nero

Old 09-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #2
(male)

chevmal283 HB User
Re: trouble swallowing after acdf c5 6

I have been suffering with swallowing/choking problems for sevens. I had double-fusion cervical neck surgery in 2000. I was only suppose to be in hopital for two days--I had to stay three extra days because my esaphogu shut closed. I was told it would take several months for the swallowing difficult to resolve itself. It never did as I stated. I learned via my gastro that not only does the metal parts press on throat, but as well scar tissue builds up between metal plate and esophagus causing swallowing problems. What bugs me the most is that the metal plate and screws are really not necessary; and, a good surgeon should notice during surgery how if the esoph is too close to cervical and thus not inplant metal other than cage(s)--like you, I should have only had one level fused, but that is another terrible tale not for this thread.

After seven years had swallow test where a tiny barrium pill lodged itself between the metal and inside of espho. When you go for the test make sure you aske to have the barrium pill used as part of test. They were only going to use soft to softer almost waters soilds to perform test. You need something more solid used during that test.

I then went to ENT who used camera passed through my nose to look at voice book and saw that voice box chord thin and scarred--said nothing about seeing scar tissue between metal and throat. Forgot to ask. Oi. Expensive test too for something that lasted by a couple minutes.

Last edited by HBMod07; 09-17-2008 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Please only quote the portion of the message you are responding to and not the entire message

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

nero HB User

Thanks for the reply. It helps to know it is not in my head so to speak. I am going to ENT guy on Monday so thanks for the tips. I find after I eat the pain is immense in my shoulders as well. It is worth not eating to avoid the pain but that seems unrealistic. Why cant these surgeons just be up front. I had a great recovery and knowing that this is a secondary outcome would have at least made my situation a little more digestable. I think they just don't want to hear the negatives but what a journey for us when we have to sort this out for ourselves. Thank god for people like you and others who get on the Boards. Sincerely Nero

Old 09-20-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
(female)

Danialla HB User

I had major swallowing problems, along with a multitude of what I thought were unrelated symptoms. Everything was related to nerve damage due to an undiagnosed Chiari Malformation.

After I had my decompression surgery most of those weird, and ultimately related symptoms went away. I still have some residual swallowing problems and a bit of an issue with balance. Mostly though, we are all good!

Do you have any other symptoms? Balance problems, headaches, vision troubles?

Old 09-21-2008, 02:27 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

nero HB User

[removed]
So there is definitely some veracity in the correlation between symptoms years later and the fact that a new host of problems are effervescent years later.

I will be interested to see what hopefully will be a more indepth look at my throat reveals through either MRI etc. It is hard up here in Canada to get directed to the right people sometimes but you have to just be persistent and patient. For example by visiting my gp in June with this problem I now have an appot with neurosurgeon Jan 08/2009 so....thank god I am not dying.

Anyway thanks for the information.

nero

Last edited by HBMod07; 09-21-2008 at 09:02 AM.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:40 AM   #6
(female)

terrisanta HB User

Any resolve to your swallowing issues? I am having the same and don't know where to turn. Thanks.

Closed Thread