It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2008, 05:46 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Please help me if you can, I am desperate...

Hello everyone, I dont know if anyone can be of help here but I am desperate & have nothing to loose at this point.
I have been suffering alot of upper back pain along shoulders, chest rib & lately headaches & neck. My entire back has been hurting all the way down.
Yesturday I had such pain in my big toe on the left side. I keep thinking back of all the doctors I have been to I had went to see a naturalistic doctor who is well known & travels through out the US. He told me that my problem is in the lower back, he was the only one to mention that due to all my symptoms are primarly in the upper. I have had lower back pain & especially in the left hip area on & off for along time know. Both of my legs always feel like a ton weight in the mornings. I tend to shuffle or drag them more then picking them up. I have never had the lower back looked at & am beginning to wonder if I should. Although I explained to my PM that my entire back was really painful he only ordered an MRI on the C & T.
My question is could a problem in that lower region possably at all cause any problems in the mid or upper? Does anyone know or has anyone experianced anything like I am at the present?
My husband just got laid off & I can only hold on to my insurance for a brief time so I am desperate to find the cause of all this pain. I do not go one waking minute without it & am feeling tremendous guilt knowing the finacial burden I am going to be placing on my family. So please any responses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much & god bless, Sammy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2008, 06:08 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

mznell HB User
Re: Plesae help me if you can, desperate

You mentioned that you had a MRI of the cervical and thoracic spine. Did it show any spinal stenosis? Your description of symtoms sounds like some sort of cervical spondylolis or a generalized type of spinal arthritis. Even if the spondylolis was in the cervical area, you could experience pain in your legs or feet.

I have not had what you are describing...but this is an educated guess on my part.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Thank you so much for respoding. I have yet to get the results from my MRI that I had done recetly, but in the last one done over a year ago It did show some arthritis & some other small problems. I will have to dig that report out & go over it carefully. I am having pain & discomfort in my entire back. I would have felt better if the MRI was done on the lumbar in addition to the C & T. If this continues I would think that will have to be done. I would not doubt for one minute in my line of work for all these years something could be up in that lumbar area. I have had one doctor give his opinion that there is indeed a problem there, but he was a naturalistic doctor & you know how it can be one doctor does not always respect anothers opinion, yet I am the one living in all this pain & left to wonder. Thanks again, I appreciate your input more then you know. Sammy

Old 10-02-2008, 07:17 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

mznell HB User

Hello sammy01,

Are you waiting to see a doctor to get the MRI results? If so, you could call the place where you had the MRI done and ask for a copy of the written report. They should be able to mail it to you right away. Every place I've had a MRI done had the written report by the next day.

I'm sorry I don't have more information for you. I just have no experience with these conditions that effect the whole spine. Hopefully someone else will pipe up with some comments for you.

xx MM

Old 10-02-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

mznell HB User

Hi Sammy ~

Why did your doctor choose those two levels to image? Did you tell him about the heavy feeling in your legs? What other types of pain do you have in your legs?

Old 10-02-2008, 09:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User
Re: Please help me if you can, I am desperate...

If you have problems in your lumbar spine it can certainly hurt your mid to upper back as well. If any part of the spine is unstable it throws everything out of wack. To have a better idea you/we need the results from your MRI. Let us know when you get the results and maybe we can help you out a bit. Take care of yourself in the meantime.

Beachgirl

Old 10-15-2008, 05:45 AM   #7
(female)

sunshine1973 HB User

Hi sammy01,
I think I have the same exact symptoms that you are having. If you go and look up my name, sunshine1973. I try and do as much as I can physically and than I get stuck on the couch in the sitting position because I am in severe pain in all the areas that you mentioned. Yes, my feet get very heavy and I have weak ankles, my feet are hard to control. I am in the process of trying to get some current MRI's and any CT's if possible. I have to check with my insurance company all the time to find out if I am covered or not. I do have an appt with a DO who is in my insurance network. My appt is on the 20th of October. I will start a new thread when I have any new info after the follow up of my appt. Hopefully I will have an appt set up for a current MRI on my neck and all of my spine this time. I will check on your results of your MRI. I travel alot with my husband and that is why I cannot keep up with the board conversations. Even to type long doesn't work well for me. Have a good day, christina

Old 10-15-2008, 09:05 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

sammy,just wanted to let you know,that if you are going to be losing your insurance here soon,i would seriously speak with your PM now about just getting that lumbar done now. under the circumstances he would probably do this now,ya know? while i am still thinking the majority of your issues IS comming from all the crap you have going on with the upper,if you really feel that strongly(and it should be checked out anyway just considering your line of work)that there is something wrong,it just needs to be done now before that insurance goes. considering the type of guy your PM appears to be hon i really do think if you just explained the circumstances to him that he would want to get this done now ya know? you just really do need to get as much done NOW before you lose that insurnace and would have to pay out of pocket. i would also push for that stellate too sammy. i just soo strongly feel that this IS just part of your underlying problem and probably was even before your rotator surgery set off this whole nightmare for you,just becasue you DID have some pre op symptoms of some level of SNS affectation. the SNS actually governs the constriction and dilation of our blood vessels too so the head pain could actually be stemming from that sympathetic source. it would make sense since there is a direct connection there ya know? some of the worst head pain i have ever had in my life was actually vascularly created.

you just really do need to make a list of the things that are real priorities to try and get in before that insurance goes hon and then speak to that PM about your situation and just needing to know some things which would give him alot of new info to work with that just has yet to be explored. your just between that rock and a hard place right now and do have to shift your need for those tests to the forefront at this point.

i still cannot believe you have not yet gotten those results from the MRIs yet,geez you had them quite a while ago ya know? i would,at this point,go right to the place where you had these done and get your very own copies of your MRI reports. all you have to do is simply sign that release and they will hand them over to you. the waiting must be killing you at this point. you just really need to know what showed up on them. you have really needed so many answers thru out this whole nightmare that have yet to come your way. i would be getting just a bit demanding since the insurance loss is going to be an issue soon ya know? do whatever you can to get what you need done asap.

depending upon what actually shows up on the MRIs hon,it could be affecting your legs right now too,trust me on that one. all my leg crap is stemming from my c spine area,no lower back issues that have shown the symtoms yet anyways. i do have an annular tear down in the lumbar along with a big bulge in one of my L spine vertebraes,but my major problems are stemming from my c spine crap,that has been confirmed with testing. as far as i know right now,my lumbar issues have not yet presented with symptoms at this point. the thing here is the higher up in the spine the issue is would dictate just what can be affected along the way. i do think alot of what you have had going on up there just has taken its toll enough at this point to be actually affecting your legs too. the inflammation alone is bad enough to do some interesting things further down then you combine all the muscle crap that has been one huge ongoing issue and it could explain alot. then whatever shows up on your MRIs as well, who knows hon? but that possible SNS angle also just NEEDS to be better defined too. one simple stellate injection would tell a whole lot ya know?

i just wish i could do more for you than is possible considering how this is all set up sammy. its just been way too long since you have had any level of normal in your life and believe me i know how much that impacts just about everything in your life. hopefully that MRI will actually show something that can help explain the insanity. just try and push your PM right now for whtever you possibly can test wise. i am sure he would be at least understanding about your impending loss of insurance and just do some things for you ya know? it never hurts to try and to just ask. time is just really important for you right now,and he has to at least understand that much. hang in there hon. you know i am always in your corner. i would try and get those results today if possible. just go to that rad facility and get them. please keep us posted sammy, your friend, marcia

Old 10-16-2008, 04:45 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you all so much. I will luck you up Sunshine, Yes I told the doctor my entire back was really starting to hurt. I believe because of the headaches, arms/shoulder & chest/ribs he focused on the C & T area. He is a very compassioate doctor so I am going to try to kick into gear with him. He wants me to see I back surgeon so I will schedule that as soon as my husband picks up the cobra on me. Had all my appointments when my husband got laid off.
Marcia my friend I am really getting feaful & god bless you, when the going gets tough you are always here for me. I am tired of it all. Now that the back & both arms are involved it really can make you feel desperate. I am dropping things like crazy with this left hand & sometimes right. I am ready to scream enough! When next I see my PM I will be doing some heavy talking. My right shoulder is getting bad & I hope its not heading for surgery as the left one. That is one surgery I dont care to repeat. The thought of having that ROM chair makes me cringe. NO fond memories there,lol. You were my rock through all that & I will never forget you for holding my hand through it all.
I will have what ever doc. I get into first get those MRI results, I have the films. I am trying to be pateint & if anything was serious I am sure they would have called. Could SNS cause all this Marcia do you think? Loose of ROM & all?
Thank you (forgot you name) for replying to my question, I have been asking that question for along time. I always come to the boards even after asking the doctors. I believe those who experiance all of this themselves know first hand. So bless you, get tired of wondering all the time. I want that lower back looked at just in case, beats not knowing. The mental inpact of all this CP & limits can be as tough as the pain to deal with.
Bless you all, I was so hoping I would get some replies. Sammy

Old 10-16-2008, 07:19 PM   #10
(female)

lilydilly HB User

DOn't know if I can help. I just had surgery 3 weeks ago in my cervical area for large bone spur on the facet joint. I have also had surgery for disc replacement in my lumbar region 7 years ago.
I do know that my legs, hips and pelvic area were all affected by the damaged disc in my lumbar region. That was all fixed by the disc replacement surgery. I didn't have any thoracic or neck pain then from my lumbar region. It only seemed to refer pain down below the waist.

However since my neck issues began 2 years ago, I had terrible bouts of thoracic between the shoulder and chest pain, and arm and shoulder. Also I had trouble with numbness and heaviness in my legs and feet from my neck.

That all seemed to be related to my neck, and from what the pyhsio told me since my neck surgery, they see so many people with thoracic and chest pain that is cervical related. I was actually sent to have heart tests done before the pain became specifically severe in my neck.

ALso, any part of the spine being out of order can affect the rest of it, especially if there is a troubled area. It really does sound cervical related, but if you have a problem in the lumbar region, it would be exacerbated by having problems in your neck, if that makes sense?

My body was sick all over just by a bone spur on one joint of my neck, so get yourself thoroughly checked all over. The surgeon told me that some people can be walking around with damaged spines that give them no trouble, Others like me have just one bone spur in the wrong place that had me bedridden for months.
I found it so hard to have patience and wait for answers when I was in so much pain, but finally I'm home and fixed and on the recovery road, but it seemed to take forever to get there at the time. So you have my absolute sympathy, and I look forward to what you find out. It's wonderful that you have a compassionate doctor anyway. Makes all the difference.
All the best, and hope you find the light at the end of the tunnel soon, or get a glimpse of it at least.
Regards Lily

Old 10-17-2008, 04:23 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Lilly, finally I am getting somewhere, or at least understanding abit more. I get that heaviness in my legs, especially the left. Mostly in the morning. Feels like I drag my feet or shuffle. I can ask the doctor the same questions I ask here & never get an answer & that makes it hard to try to piece together what could be going on. My back is really bothering me along with my neck. In three years of pain this area just started so I am praying the problem will surface. All of you have helped me more then you know. I cant remember if you said what discs were effected, if not could you let me know? This is really getting to me, the pain is just spreading more & more & it can get scary. My right side is really starting to be effected here.
Once I get into the doctors I think I am going to push for the lumbar to be looked into. I need to know. Thank you so much, all of this helps me to understand more & boy do I need that. God bless, Sammy

Old 10-17-2008, 04:10 PM   #12
(female)

lilydilly HB User

Sammy, just want to add something, not sure if it's of any help. Like I said, I've had lumbar and neck issues. That heavy, dragging your leg feeling is so familiar to me, both from the time my lumbar region was acting up and it was there again with my neck.
One thing that did happen to me, though, was that I was lying around lots to get relief for my neck and spent a lot of time half propped in bed with a lot of pressure on my tailbone. That was when I started getting lower back and leg symptoms back again. Once I realised what I was doing, I changed my posture and put pillows under my knees etc, to protect my lower back. And my lumbar region settled down again.
I think what I'm trying to say is that when one part of the body is in pain, we tend to protect it at the expense of other parts. Even the way I was lying in bed at night, was not the best for my lower back, because all I cared about was stopping my neck from hurting. Even now after neck surgery, my legs are heavy and "thick" feeling, and I've realised I'm lying around again in recovery, with pressure on the lumbar region.
Just a thought to consider.
Regards Lily

Old 10-18-2008, 04:38 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lilly so sweet of you to let me know. I dont lay much unless I have to, but since this is mostly in the mornings you may have a point. I cant roll onto the shoulders to much do to the pain so I may indeed end up mostly on my back. Like you I try to protect the neck when I go to sleep. My husband says I am all over & in the strangest postions that he said it looks painful. So I worry about the postion my neck may end up in. As I just mentioned in another post I started to take my MRs at night to help me rest more, thus far it seems to be working abit. In my line of work I would not be one bit surprised if I did do something to the lumbar. I have lifted people for so many years & I am only 5'1 & around 100 pds, the most I ever weighed was 120 something & that was do to steriods. So I have been lifting people alot bigger then I am for years. Although I use the proper lifting techniques there have been situations where I was left with no choice but to use my back. My neck has been cracking & snapping like crazy this last month. I am beginning to feel like a box of rice krispies, snap, crackle & pop. Do you ever get like that?
I have bought like my 6th pillow to try for my neck to.
Thank you so much for being thoughtful it helps me out more then you know. I really need to learn as much as I can about the C & T & L, the whole back it seems. God bless & take care, Sammy

Old 10-18-2008, 07:41 PM   #14
(female)

lilydilly HB User

Glad to help, even if it's only knowing someone understands and can relate. My neck cracks and pops all the time. That of itself isn't of great significance, because it can do that even with muscles tiredness. Since my surgery, my neck creaks and groans like a rusty door hinge. Rather unnerving, but all part of the healing I guess.

Like you I tried all sorts of pillows. I found a nest of several worked best for me, kind of tucked all around. Then I discovered the "memory foam" pillow. There are several varieties of thickness and density, and they are expensive, but oh so good on the neck. I take mine with me everywhere, even in the car.
I also found a pillow tucked between your legs at night, really helps the lumbar region, and keeps your position a bit more aligned spine wise. After back surgery I slept with a pillow lengthways between my legs for months.
Do you get restless legs, or body? That's driving me crazy at the moment.? I know it's all part of the process of nerves, spine and muscles etc being "out of whack", but it's pretty debilitating.
All the best.
Lily

Old 10-20-2008, 06:02 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Lilly, I have one of the memory foam pillows, at first I really liked it then it almost felt at times like it was to hard. I also have the cervical pillow. Now I have purchased the gel fiber pillows & am giving that one a shot.
Just put a post up on my back. It is starting to scare me. I will try the pillow between the knees to see if it helps. Thats a good suggestion about the pillows all around, maybe that would help me to stop flopping around like a fish out of water,lol. Knowing me the pillows would end up on the floor. Wont hurt to try. I sure have enough pillows.
I cant believe how bad this pain is getting its just going up & not budging at all.
I am going to attempt to get my PM to order an MRI on the lumbar, after reading some posts here I feel I need to find out. This pain is coming from some where & creating so much pressure in my back its awful. Little pins & needles on the right side of the middle of the back as I am sitting here. I dont want to raise either arm up at all. My neck is sore to top it all off & I can feel a darn headache trying to take hold. Geez I sure can sympathize now with those who have back pain.
Thank you so much for taking time out for me, I appreciate it more then you know. God bless, Sammy

Closed Thread