It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2008, 10:19 AM   #1
(female)

jhyde1166 HB User
Can Cervical Disc problems cause blurred vision????

Hi Everyone! I had a 2 level ACDF C5/6, C6/7 June 19, 2008. Recovery has been excellent. I came home 2 days after surgery, no collar, no PT and went back to work in 2 weeks. I had been feeling great until about 3 - 4 weeks ago. I started hurting again just like before surgery...except the arm pain was only down to my elbow this time. I went back to my surgeon and he thinks it might be my C4/5 disc now, he put me on steroids and I go back to see him on Oct. 10 to see if they have helped any. Anyway since I have seen my surgeon I have been having many bad headaches (which I had before surgery) but this time I am having blurred vision too...it gets bad enough where I can't see very well at all and it really scares me. Can my disc problems cause blurry vision and those bad headaches? I have noticed also that I have ringing in my ears sometimes too. Has anyone else had these symptoms??? I will really appreciate any responses... Thanks! Joyce

Old 09-30-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

elle45 HB Userelle45 HB Userelle45 HB User
Re: Can Cervical Disc problems cause blurred vision????

I have exactly the same symptoms. I had a laminectomy C6-7 in April. My vision was blurry right after surgery. I am also having arm pain down to my elbow and across the front of my shoulder. I asked my surgeon about the vision and he said it was probably from the meds, however I haven't taken the meds continuously and my vision is still very blurry. The arm pain is now from a "small" disc protrusionC4-6. (small protrusion,BIG pain). I am also having horrible low back problems,but the MRI only shows mild bulging and arthritis L3-5.

I went to my chiropractor today and showed him my MRI results and he said he can make it tolerable. Next I am going to an orthopedic.
Keep in touch. Let me know what you find out about your symptoms and I'll do the same.

Last edited by elle45; 09-30-2008 at 02:54 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sunshine221 HB User

I didn't have blurry vision but its hard to describe, my vision was darker in one eye than the other and this went away after surgery. (laminectomy C4-C7)

Old 10-02-2008, 07:51 AM   #4
(female)

jhyde1166 HB User

Thank you so much for your responses. I was beginning to think I was crazy...I am so glad I am not the only with these symptoms. I go to see my Neurosurgeon next Friday the 10th, I am hoping he will be able to do something for me other than another surgery. My first surgery went really well but I really don't want to go through it again as I am running out of time off from work...My vision doesn't exactly get blurred it is like it starts with spots and just keeps getting worse. It is really weird, and it isn't constant, it comes and goes with really bad headaches starting at the back of my neck. Anyway I will let you know what my surgeon says and let me know if the chiropractor actually helps or what happens. Thanks again!!!
Joyce

Old 10-04-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
(female)

Wymom94 HB User

My only experience with blurry vision was right when I woke up from my acdf surgery in April. It lasted close to 2 weeks, slowly improving after the first 5 days or so. I went in to my GP for a vision check at around 4 days and my vision, which was always 20/20, showed as 20/35. I couldn't see anything clearly unless it was 2 feet in front of me (people, objects, words, anything). I went back to my GP about 5 days later and I was 20/30. I went again after I knew it was clear again and, get this, I tested at 20/15 --IMPROVED vision. We've joked since that I got my super powers with surgery, but I have no explanation for it. I was told the blurry vision problelms were due to a reaction to the mix of meds in my anesthesia and that the problems just lingered for a while after the meds left my system (or, it took that long for them to fully leave my system). I had a different mix of meds with my back surgery 5&1/2 weeks later and did not wake up with vision problems that time. Before surgery, I have experienced a few occular migraines where my vision is effected, but I have no idea if that is related to my spine. I suspect not. My first occular migraine was post-pardum after a uterine rupture 10 years ago. I started having my first problems that I can relate to my neck 8 years ago. That's the sum of my experience with vision trouble. The headaches you mentioned and ringing in the ears, that's different --I had a little trouble with those before surgery, nothing extensive, and it may well have been connected to my neck. Post-op, though, I haven't had anything notable. My 5-6 was fused, though, not my 4-5 as your doc suspects. I did have bone spurs shaved on 4-5, though. I think it is definitely possible that your symptoms could be a sign of a cervical issue, but even if they are not, I'd definitely pursue things with your doctor (or even a 2nd opinion as well).
Good luck and I'm sorry you are having some more problems after surgery. Hopefully, it isn't complicated and won't require another surgery. I wish you the best.
Meghan

Last edited by Wymom94; 10-04-2008 at 11:13 AM.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:33 PM   #6
(female)

parkbabe1 HB User
Smile Re: Can Cervical Disc problems cause blurred vision????

I have never had surgery, yet, but am waiting to see a surgeon. I have bulging discs at C5-C6, C6-C7 and my doctor is quite worried about them. I had my car rear ended in 2006 and had a lot of problems with my neck. It took me almost two years of frequent treatment to get to where I am feeling today. One thing I would recommend to anyone with neck issues is Myofascial Release Therapy. My physiotherapist is highly qualified in this, and it is the most wonderful treatment for neck problems. I had problems with my vision after my accident - it changed several times too - as well as earaches, vertigo and frequent headaches and this treatment really helped me out.
I haven't gone for treatment for awhile and am starting to notice problems again. My neck, shoulders and upper back are getting tight again and this is causing vision problems again. I went for a massage yesterday, thinking it would help loosen my back, and I am having really bad vision problems today. My doctor figures it probably altered something in my neck and I need to go see my physiotherapist again.
As for your doctor stating the blurriness was from meds, I doubt it. The muscles in your neck are probably tight and pressing against nerves that relate to these areas.
Check Myofascial Release out on the net and inquire around to find out if anyone does it in your area. I fully believe in this treatment. Good luck to you all.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:17 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

i have to say,if your surgeon did not use hardware on you to hold those bone ends in place,not using a collar to me seems a bit crazy. that collar is your 'splint" the thing that will hold those bone ends together and in proper alignment,you know what i mean? even WITH a collar,i did not fuse and had to have hardware added months after my fusion was done. you just don't have good solid stability enough without that coller to keep from moving your very loose bone endplates against that bone graft in just about any given direction. in order for any actual bone fusion to take place anywhere in our bodies actually,there just has to be a constant direct contact made with the bone ends or it wont take,or the bone graft could also pop out of alignment and actually fuse in a very bad angle,you know what i mean? i am hoping you at least have hardware if he did not Rx that collar.

a few different things could actually be causing blurry vision,but i am wondering if you are not actually having migranes of some sort? the spots are what made me wonder about that. with actual migrane,you do in some cases get the pre migrane "aura"? which does include in some cases very very crazythings happening with our eyes. i get this before my migranes always hit. about five minutes before the actual headpain kicks in. just one possibility that this could be,espescially if the head pain is always one sided.

just how long have you been on the steriods and at what dosage? or is this the medrol dosepack? are you on any other meds right now?

when spinal nerves are inflammed they will affect the surrounding muscle and create awful globs called trigger points. some muscle is strong enough when contracted to actually pull on your c spine too. this can create problems like headaches and alot of pain in the c spine itself down thru the shoulder blades. another possibility which would probably be the worst case scenerio,would be that the bone graft has slipped in some way and is affecting either bloodflow or the cord? it would be hard to say,but given the fact you went back to work at only two weeks and with no collar for that continuous support and alignment it is entirely possible. if nothing else a simple c spine series x ray would be able to at least tell where that bone graft is and if it is not within normal alignment,it needs to be for you to have the best possible outcome. even small movements in the c spine will also move that area that is trying to attach itself in there too.
you just want to be as careful as possible at this point in order to assure the best contact and fusion outcome. if i were you i would actually ask for a fitted collar at this point,after getting that x ray at least just to really see clearly where everything actually is in there. if it isn't,an MRI would really be needed just to see what is being affected. this is your spine afterall ya know? the way the fusion takes will dictate your future and any possible problems or a misaligned c spine. you just want the best fusion possible. even with the collar some don't fuse,having it just really helps to up the odds it will take properly for you. your surgeon is not the one who has to live with your outcome, you will.

i would see about the x ray and the collar(if this were me,this IS what i would do having gone thru two c spine surgeries). it IS in your best interest to do this,really. i really do not understand why some surgeons let their patients with no hardware either to go post op with no actual collar/splint,it just needs support,and proper alignment to fuse properly,ya know? i would seriously have a chat with your surgeon and ask him about the why the no collar? also find out his overall success rate with using no collar too vs the average of people who do have the post op collars. and also ask about at least obtaining that x ray to check alignment. you just need to do the best things for yourself right now. i do hope things get better for you. please keep us posted. Marcia

hey park,i too recieve myofascial release along with crainiosacral therepy too. wow is all i can say in the difference in my messed up c spine that has constantly created trigger points, since i started this last year. my therepist has 18 years of experience in doing these two therepies. what a huge impact this therepy has. it was the best move for any therepy i have ever had,and we have tried just about everything at this point just to relieve pain and spasm. have you ever had the crainosacral? M

Old 11-02-2008, 03:18 PM   #8
(female)

parkbabe1 HB User

yes, I have had craniosacral therapy and it works wonders. My physiotherapist laughs at me, because my head moves in so many different ways. He is so into the natural healing, and I really feel it does make quite a difference in the way I feel. Have another 4 appts in two weeks. Not sure I can wait that long.
Take care everyone.

Last edited by parkbabe1; 11-19-2008 at 09:36 AM. Reason: wrong info

Old 11-19-2008, 09:43 AM   #9
(female)

parkbabe1 HB User
Unhappy Re: Can Cervical Disc problems cause blurred vision????

Well, I have had several issues since my last posting. I had really bad vertigo on Nov. 11 and went to the dr thinking it was my ears. Vertigo, according to him. Anyway, vision is getting worse again. Had my eyes tested on Nov 5, and they are healthy according to dr. Saw the surgeon on Nov 12 and I will be having ACDF on my neck in February. I have herniated C6-C7 and bone spurs on my neck. C5-C6 is bulging, but not as bad. Says this should help most of my problems I am having. I hope so. Starting to have bowel problems, which can result from neck problems. I just want it to be over.
Take care.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:29 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hey park. do you have ANY actual cord contact from that herniation at all? what did your MRI report state in that summary at the very end? if you could type that out for me it would really help me to help you. the one thing you have to remember when it comes to the nerves within that c spine is that there are some crainials that just DO run down thru the c spine then right around the c7-t1 junction(this is where my heaviest areas of damage are and to the c 8 nerve there),they kind of loop back up into the head again,so it IS entirely possible to have c spine issues going on that can affect the places within our faces. i have this with my left eye along with sympathetic nervous system damage that creates all kinds of insane facial issues and eye issues too. knowing exactly how that disc is sitting could explain alot,espescially if it is contacting your cord. thats kind of why i need to see that MRI summary. marcia

Closed Thread