It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2008, 12:33 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kindspirit HB Userkindspirit HB User
Failed cervical fusion

Just wondering if any of you that have had cervical fusion that failed what did you do about it? One level, c 5-6-7, is not fused, or so it doesn't appear from my last mri. My pain level is horrid if I sit too long, light raking etc etc. It's been about 4 yrs since surgery and I have limited my life style and it stinks! It's like a sharp knife pain, the recliner is my best friend. Did anyone go for a 2nd revision surgery and if so, did it help or make things worse? I also had lumbar surgery, l5-s1 discectomy and that one is tricky too. One wrong move and I'm out , bent over for 4 days. Also, at this length of time the bone, could it still regenerate and grow some with proper diet and supplements?
Hysterectomy

Old 10-17-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

chatterboxsd HB User
Re: Failed cervical fusion

Sorry to hear your situation. I'm thoracic, so take what I have to say for what it's worth... My fusion at T6-7 failed and I had a revision that was "successful" in that the bones did heal. I have yet to have any relief from pain. So, I'm glad that I'm out of any danger that I was in with a precarious spinal situation, but it is another situation to be in pain and not knowing why, when or if.

I doubt you will fuse at this point, after 4 years. But, I am not a doctor. I don't know how important it is for cervical to be fused. At the lower levels, I know stability is really important for safety.

Were I you, I'd find out if a revision is a realistic and recommended procedure for you. As a separate issue, I'd want to relieve the pain. It doesn't do a body, mind or spirit any good. (Like I can really talk, but I'm working on it...)

This is a great place to come for support and non-professional information (like practical tips and experiential stories. Oftentimes in our daily lives, we're the only ones feeling like this, so it's nice to have e-buddies who immediately know what it's like.

My very best to you. Hang in there. Keep educating yourself.
- Margaret

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2008, 01:24 PM   #3
(female)

DEBI29 HB User

HI Kindspirit , i too have had fussionfailer at c5/6/7/ along with t11/12 and s/1-L3;all failed i allowed the dr to much power. and nothing worked. I now have new ruptured disc at c3 above and whatever number below c7 ,t1 i think,I too know the stabbing pain ( it;s worse than the original pain)and the being out over a wrong move .I am now seeing another surgeon and he wsto pt a artificial disc at c3 and t1 (to stop errossion)and refuuss using my own bone from my own hip .ouchie .He says it w/not fuss anymore after first yr. also said something about the first dr. didnot file bone down enough irst time .think I'm going to let him try. I see him next fri . anyway. u find anything eles . like to know .I pray we find healing soon.Blessings ,Debi ps perhaps you have new bulging disc causing new pain. have they looked. keep ur head up, cause it hurts to hold it down .haha not funny. sorry it hurt so bad.

Last edited by DEBI29; 10-17-2008 at 01:36 PM.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Deb and Chatter for your replies. Sorry you're going thru this too. It just stinks, did a abit of raking and ouch! I don't take pain meds, only ibuprofen for fear of addiction. I usually just go recline in my chair after these episodes, but, so sick of forgoing plans with others in fear of pain! I don't know about you, but, 2hrs of shopping etc is the max b4 the horrid pain hits. Raking, well just a bit of that. Eating out, depends on the chair but if I'm not relaxed forget it. I'm just very leary of another surgery, scar tissue etc. Have you tried acupuncture? I'm cking into that on Monday. Deb, yep there are more discs bulging, my whole back is deteriated, 52 now but started age 24. Combo: hysterectomy, no hormones, thyroid issues, scoliosis, and high impact aerobics contributed to all this? Right now I'm feeding my body with vitamins and trying to slow down my other autoimmune diseases: Hahsimotos' among a couple others, urgh!! We get so use to pain that until it's unbearable do we notice it anymore. Heating pad here I come!
Hysterectomy

Old 12-11-2008, 04:25 AM   #5
(female)

JackieH HB User

Hello FF Friends...
I had C5-7 fusion surgery w/my hip bone in'06 and it never fused. Had many bone spurs removed for 25 grand at a minimally invasive Laser Spine Institute 10 months after which helped slightly.
Now in pain from head to toe. Have had the same bad headache since Oct.05. Spurs in T-spine & lumbar show up on X-rays now.
Docs given me every anti-seizure med & narcotic, lidocane IV's, injections etc.. they don't help...maybe I go from a 7-9 on the pain scale to a 6-8 but not worth the side effects so I always come off them.
My faith & eternal perspective get me through each day. 'Don't know how I'd ever smile otherwise.
Also have the Hashimotos thyroid etc...& have wondered if obsessive high impact aerobics in the 80s added to this.

Guess we aren't really helping each other practically but it's nice to have friends who understand. (Tho I'd rather be alone as that would mean you all would be ok. )

Can't sleep but will try again now. I do love my Lunesta...that's the one pill I'll keep.

Blessings,
Jackie
PS..won't let another surgeon touch me ever again unless my hardware breaks or screws come out. I've had it with neurosurgeons myself.

Last edited by JackieH; 12-11-2008 at 04:29 AM.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:26 AM   #6
(female)

ms.titanium HB User

I had a ACDF levels 4-6 and it also failed. My ortho told me I was walking around with a broken neck held together by my plate and I had to have it repaired. He did a posterior fusion levels 3-6 and I really can't tell you if I feel better or not. I guess I feel better knowing that my head won't fall off but the pain level has not decreased. I would advise you to get 2nd, 3rd, even 4th opinions. Posterior surgery is much harder on the patient then anterior. It takes longer to heal and I know I needed more physical therapy. In the end you need to find a doctor you can trust and place your faith into. Good luck!!!

Old 12-15-2008, 08:49 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

captnanny HB User
Exclamation Re: Failed cervical fusion

Hi I am new to this board but am going in for my 2nd neck surgery on Thursday. I had an ACDF on c-4--c-6 almost two years ago. I developed a cyst in my neck at c-2 and that cyst caused the screws to come loose. I am now doing a laminectomy at four levels and it's posterior. Please someone tell me I will get some relief, I am only off for three and a half weeks, though I only work two days. I need to know if anyone has had success after a cyst is removed from the neck.

Last edited by captnanny; 12-15-2008 at 08:50 AM. Reason: I don't want this in her post

Old 12-16-2008, 04:11 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

captnanny HB User

I your pain. I have screws loose from my two level fusion at c3-c5. I now have a cyst that is causing excruciating pain, nerve damage and muscle weakness. I have to have a laminectomy on four levels, c2-c6. I am in agony right now, can't take motrin a week before surgery and I can not sleep at all. I guess the cyst caused the screws to loosen but they don't think I was totally fused at that level, otherwise the cyst would not have gone into that area. It is actually bulging out on the right side. I just want a little relief so I don't complain so much when I am a nanny two days a week. I want to be happier again. The first surgery was going very well for over a year. At the 18th month I started feeling pain and may have pushed myself too fast. I had two jobs and was getting my masters. What was I thinking? Anyway anyone have any success with second revision surgery?

Old 12-16-2008, 10:40 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sorry so many fellow spine sufferers out there! I recently tried acupuncture. Not sure what this guy did, but, I have more pain now! the one area in my spine where the needle was "prodded" hurt while he was inserting...I begged him, take it out! It's been over a wk and now I have trouble breathing and pain! thought maybe a cold or my thyroid acting up? but its around the needle site where the pain is! I'm just hoping, with time, it resolves. The first visit he used "electrodes" on the needles and I ended up with severe nerve pain in my one foot. Tomrorrow trying a new place for "massage". I'll post results from that. The therapist helped a friend who went thru a similar surgery. Just beware, acupuncture can do wonders, but for me, NOT. I must admit, it did help the range of motion in my neck, but the upper back area is sore and painful now, and the breathing issue is worrying me. Massage seems to be the less invasive and pleasurable, I hope!
Hysterectomy

Old 12-16-2008, 06:32 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I did have a posterior foraminotomy and fusion this year, 2 years after my ACDF. The surgery from the back was tougher, but in the end (now 6 months after) I do have less nerve pain than I had before. The nerve was still a bit irritated at 3 months so I did 3 epidural injections which did help.

In my case it wasn't so much that the ACDF failed, but I had significant stenosis that required a second surgery. But he felt it wasn't 100% stable, so while he was in there he did a posterior fusion with bone fragments that he got from the foraminotomy.

Closed Thread